from the inside out v. from outside in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from the inside out v. from outside in

I was wondering whether you could explain in more detail what you mean by stating great players play from inside out while everyone else does it from outside in.

Thanks,

I was afraid someone was going to ask that...

What I mean is that great players seem to have the feelings/mental images in their subconscious and just play from there, deep from inside themselves. That's why they can't explain much--it's subconscious and they don't think about what they do and can't explain it in words.

The rest of us can use words and video to try to create those same feelings--working from the outside and trying to internalize the information inside, and make it natural and automatic and even subconscious. Or at the least, use images and feelings rather than words to guide the strokes.

Comment

Guys,

There may be books that are more directly related to this topic, but I suggest checking out Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink. In particular, you'll find the chapter on Vic Braden very interesting and pertinent.

Tell me what you think if you read it.

Comment

[QUOTE=johnyandell]I was afraid someone was going to ask that...

What I mean is that great players seem to have the feelings/mental images in their subconscious and just play from there, deep from inside themselves. That's why they can't explain much--it's subconscious and they don't think about what they do and can't explain it in words.

The rest of us can use words and video to try to create those same feelings--working from the outside and trying to internalize the information inside, and make it natural and automatic and even subconscious. Or at the least, use images and feelings rather than words to guide the strokes.

Thanks!

I totally agree with you. I kind of see it in terms of language. Great players as native speakers, the rest learning the language a bit later in life. So, we need to force ourselves into that "new language" by internalizing and practicing. I guess the best way is a combination of obtaining visual information and by playing games and drills.

Two more questions:

Is the purpose of drills to get used to doing something so we can do it without thinking under the time constraints of a match-like situation?

What would be your advice to approaching games for a player whose main priority is improving his skills?

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by lukman41985
          Guys,

There may be books that are more directly related to this topic, but I suggest checking out Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink. In particular, you'll find the chapter on Vic Braden very interesting and pertinent.

Tell me what you think if you read it.

Thanks. I'll check it out, and will definitely let you know what I think.

Comment

It's been a while since I've read Blink, but are you talking about Braden's ability to look at a player's service motion and predict a doulbe fault? That's all I can remember about Braden in that book at the moment.

I like Braden's tennis books, by the way. Worth looking at, I think. Never seen the videos.

Comment

Yes Jim, that's what I am talking about. But there's more. There's also the bit about how great tennis players can't describe in words how they hit or play. This is in-step with Gladwell's thesis that human beings "instinctively" can make the right decision, but often do the wrong thing by rationalizing with words. It's also in-step, I think, with John's inside-out/Visual Tennis concept.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8445 users online. 9 members and 8436 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X