Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• synchronizing mental images and gamesmanship

John,

I agree with you that great players seem to have the feelings/mental images in their subconscious and just play from there, while the rest of us can use words and video to try to create those same feelings.

I guess the goal is to create mental images of ourselves and being able to actually put them into practice when we are under the pressure of a tennis match. What do you think is the best way to do it?

What would be your advice on how to approach games for a player whose main priority is improving his skills--willing to sacrifice score if required?

I was also wondering about your input on drills. Do you recomend them? If so, is its purpose to get used to technical strokes and court positioning so we can do similarly without even thinking about it when actually playing a match?

I am trying to improve my gamesmanship, and I feel that your wise input on these concepts is crucial in order to create an effective attack plan.

Much appreciated,

There isn't really a short answer to your question. But very briefly the idea is to actually consciously visualize your keys and use them as blueprints to guide your motions under pressure. Not to plug myself, but in my book Visual Tennis I go into great detail about how to do this. I also plan, eventually, to do a series of articles on the process.

And yes the key is to focus on mastering the process, not on the outcome.

Drills are critical. The biggest fallacy in coaching is that info = change. That's not how it happens. You must progress thru levels and levels of difficulty with match play at the top. Again, the chapter on Progressive Development in my book outlines all this.

Comment

Thank you, John.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8406 users online. 10 members and 8396 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X