X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a model recommendation

Hi John

Could you help me with a model for my forehand

My stroke seem to have disintegrated over time and i'm struggling with it so i've decided to return to the roots of the stroke in an attempt to re-learn the entire stroke.

I however , would like a pro model to help with the process.

Could you pinpoint me to a pro who happens to use a long-ish type loopy backswing with a light SW / Heavy Eastern type grip ?

A similar grip to that of Agassi. I'm not a fan of the short take back type FHs though , i find it incredibly difficult to accelerate the racquet around given my racquet specs.(370+ g) and prefer the long loop style for pace generation.

Please help T_T

Malice,

Let's examine the assumptions in your question. They are incorrect, or at least, highly questionable. The first is that a "long loop style" is for "pace generation."

Untrue. A larger backswing does NOT generate pace. The real acceleration occurs from the bottom of the backswing forward. This has been proven by 3D studies. It's also quite obvious in the high speed video. Watch how far the racket advances frame by frame. It's quite even over the backswing and much further in the few frames before contact.

The second assumption is that it is OK to play with a 370+ gram racket! C'mon! Unless you are a high level open player that is WAY too heavy and many pros play with rackets that are lighter.

No wonder you are having problems, trying to use an excessively heavy racket in a gigantic swing.

Which brings us to the third incorrect assumption. That Agassi has a "short" take back. It's a modified loop with his hand at shoulder level--that's hardly compact. It's about right for the pro game. But Federer and Blake are more compact.
    Those three are the best models for that grip style. Or Henman. Love his forehand. In my opinion most club players should model them, not players like Gonzales or Hewitt.

I can't suggest a pro model that doesn't exist. My advice is: reexamine your assumptions, get a lighter racket, and don't worry about pace--worry about sound technique and let god take care of the pace.

Comment

Ok !

Thx for the schooling LOL

I'm gonna need to force-feed the straight-take back on myself lol.

Really used to the loopier versions

Comment

Malice,
        You're welcome! Straight is great--but look at Fed or Agassi--nice compact loops. It's not so much a matter of the shape--it's getting the full turn and getting to the bottom of the backswing with that great hitting arm position.
        JY

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8138 users online. 5 members and 8133 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X