Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill, can you break down the Safin backhand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill,

I had to go back and make corrections to my analysis. The film was shot at 60 frames/sec. I knew something was up when I had Safin making his initial turn in 1 sec and completing the whole cycle in 2 seconds. I thought the frame rate was 30 frames/sec like all of the other player stroke archives.

I really think Marat's motion sequence to the full turn is very unique. Stepping in while finishing his turn--like I said, lots of stretch and coil. You never see that on the forehand side on the pro tour and I don't think you see it much on the two-hander of the pros either with the possible exception of Hewitt. I wonder if it's worth copying?

Marat's just so beautifully balanced--he gets so low and he's 6'4"! I love how he takes almost everything on the rise, a la Andre, but Andre's 5'9"!

Comment

C'mon you guys are way ahead of me.

I don't think there are too many mysteries here though. Think it's all pretty much there in the 2H BH articles.

Unit Turn. Full turn. Simple backswing. Bent/Straight or Flex/Flex arms. He doesn't rotate his arms back as much as many players at the bottom of the backswing and probably hits the ball somewhat flatter. Finish is often shorter or lower which goes with this--also look at the the half volleys--how many he hits where he steps across. Likes to hit it early and crush flat bullets.

As for the neutural stance you see that in the center of the court with most of the top two handers.

Comment

John,

Do you think it's unique that Safin's full turn coincides with his step into the ball with the neutral and closed stances. I think that gives him more coil.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
          Likes to hit it early and crush flat bullets.
          Yeah, it's scary!:

Comment

Very nice analysis lukman

Comment

Not more than other players. I think this is pretty much the same across the board. The full turn corresponds with the step, neutral and closed.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8045 users online. 4 members and 8041 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X