Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drills and tennis lessons

John.

I have started to read Visual tennis, and I find it very insightful.

I agree with you when you say that drills are crucial in developing the game, and I guess that drills can be practiced either with a Pro or with a ball machine. What do you think is the best option for someone like me who lives in an apartment in San Francisco? (meaning that I don't know how feasible it is to take a ball machine down to the car then to USF where I usually play, nor what is the rate for a Pro in this area)

Another question, do traditional tennis lessons play any role in developing the game?

Thanks,
    Last edited by iconoclast; 06-09-2006, 08:23 PM.

Originally posted by iconoclast
    John.

I have started to read Visual tennis, and I find it very insightful.

I agree with you when you say that drills are crucial in developing the game, and I guess that drills can be practiced either with a Pro or with a ball machine. What do you think is the best option for someone like me who lives in an apartment in San Francisco? (meaning that I don't know how feasible it is to take a ball machine down to the car then to USF where I usually play, nor what is the rate for a Pro in this area)

Another question, do traditional tennis lessons play any role in developing the game?

Thanks,

John,

I know this is not a technical question. However, your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Comment

Ball machines are great but you can do the same with a practice partner. In fact you need to transition to live ball rally and then various competitive games to really incorporate any change. In the chapter on Progressive Development I outline how to work from one level to the next.

A teaching pro is a great option as well. They can be the ball machine and practice partner all in one. Traditional lessons can be great. The question is whether you can connect and communicate in a language that works for the student--we have found this is much harder when you are on opposite sides of the net. Read the Myth of the Tennis Tip in the Advanced Tennis section.

Giancarlo and Kerry are both teaching with me here in San Francisco. We also will rent our ball machine to our students, though the hours are somewhat limited as to when that can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
        Ball machines are great but you can do the same with a practice partner. In fact you need to transition to live ball rally and then various competitive games to really incorporate any change. In the chapter on Progressive Development I outline how to work from one level to the next.

A teaching pro is a great option as well. They can be the ball machine and practice partner all in one. Traditional lessons can be great. The question is whether you can connect and communicate in a language that works for the student--we have found this is much harder when you are on opposite sides of the net. Read the Myth of the Tennis Tip in the Advanced Tennis section.

Giancarlo and Kerry are both teaching with me here in San Francisco. We also will rent our ball machine to our students, though the hours are somewhat limited as to when that can happen.

Thanks John.

Please let me know if you want me to send you an email so you can tell me more about rates and location.

Comment

That's fine. jyandell@tennisplayer.net

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7846 users online. 4 members and 7842 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X