ATP Challenger in Lugano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP Challenger in Lugano

This week my tennis club in Lugano is hosting a $100,000 ATP Challenger tournament. It was voted the best Challenger tournament in the world last year. Been watching the matches daily. The 18-year old son of a friend of mine, Robin Roshardt, is participating (he got a wild card), and beat Nicholas Lapenti in the first round. The Swiss press is calling him, "the next Federer", which sounds pretty optimistic to me, but he is a good player. Lots of Spanish topspin artists participating.

More here (with photos):

ATP Challenger Lugano

That sounds like a great Challenger Tournament to watch, one of the hidden gem type tournaments for fans.

Comment

It is lots of fun to watch. I also like watching the practice sessions. The most impressive players training are the Spaniards. It is very hot over here now, and I was a bit disappointed to see Lammer and Bohli, two Swiss players, training lackadisically, whereas Montanes (last year's winner) and another Spaniard were grunting and grinding. No wonder it is mostly Spaniards who win this tournament...

Comment

I hear you Phil. I feel like winning the French, the ultimate achievement in clay court tennis, may be the most impressive accomplishment of all the majors, simply because of the supreme physical effort it takes to win the title. I also feel Nadal is the best clay court player ever.

Comment

I am impressed the attitude the Spanish players have: they grind away, motivate themselves with "vamos!" and never give up. The top seed, Starace, an Italian, is very talented, but he wilted today in the third set. His body language said everything, you could see he was going to lose...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7800 users online. 6 members and 7794 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X