Observation of pro's hands in ready position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observation of pro's hands in ready position

I'm just posting this to get some opinions from others and generally make sure that I'm not just seeing things.

I haven't seen it commented on before, but after watching a great deal of clips in the archives here I have made an observation that I find goes against what I have been taught to do and what I teach others. Every single male player with only one exception that I have seen (Leyton Hewitt, and I believe I've seen him do both) seems to be waiting during rallies with their non-dominant hands on the throat of the racket...this includes players with two-handed backhands. They are sliding their hands down from the throat to the handle during the initial preparation for the backhand. I have always waited with my non-dominant hand on the grip in position to hit my two-hander and let my bottom hand float between grips (since I switched from one to two hands twelve years ago that is). Interestingly enough, when looking at clips of the female players every single one of them (that hits two-handed) waits with the non-dominant hand on the grip.

I'm sitting here trying to think of a reason behind this. Is there an advantage either way? Why the difference between male and female players? Anyone care to put forth a hypothesis?

Great Question and I have no idea! Who else has a thought???

Comment

Well, for one handers it makes sense to put their hand there so they can change grips easily. For the two handers...I have no idea. Maybe so they can slice?

Comment

I know that it makes obvious sense for a one-hander. It's exactly what I used to do when I hit one-handed backhands. I still slide my hand up to the throat when I take my left hand off to slice. I also slide my hand up to the throat when I turn to hit a forehand.

The only thought that I've had so far is that male players tend to be more apt to run around and hit a forehand, so they wait in a position that transitions naturally into the forehand stroke. Most women don't run around their backhands quite as much (and more top women seem to have better backhands than forehands in comparison to the men) so they wait in a more neutral position.

That's all I can come up with right now.

Comment

As good an explanation as any...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7680 users online. 6 members and 7674 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X