Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Suffering!

To Our Suffering Subscribers!

I’ve been waiting everyday to get the word that our beloved Forum is back to normal. Although I have every confidence in our programmers I have been stunned at the delay and am extremely frustrated. Many of you have written to ask why did we break what didn’t need fixing? Great question. The answer is that the god of software who controls all our lives has insisted that to make our admin system work we change the Forum as well.
    I am going to Toronto Friday July 22 to film for a week—more of the best players in the world—the ones we have only here. There’s something more positive! I’d ask for your patience but mine is at an end. So we will just have to suffer together. Wish it was over—and it will be.

John Yandell

Patience is a Virtue...

Thanks for you explanation. Patience is a virtue...that's true. With so little virtue left in the world today it isn't too much to ask for a little patience. Good things do come to those that wait.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Patience is a Virtue...

Thanks for you explanation. Patience is a virtue...that's true. With so little virtue left in the world today it isn't too much to ask for a little patience. Good things do come to those that wait.

Amen.

I knew these adjustments were on the horizon based on previous conversations. It's a minor inconvenience and pales in comparison to the years and years I've used and extracted information from this forum before this technology update. However long it takes, I'll be waiting. This site is too good to ignore it because of a change. It's served me well over the years and will continue to do so.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Patience is a virtue for don_budge ... well, that is not for me.

Business is business, get it right or get your ass sued or fired.

John, some help here for a guy who has a lot of hours handling these types of projects. I once had 200 sites, but I have cut it down now to half a dozen now as I like to fish, workout and pursue my hobbies.

This forum should take no more than one to two hours to complete. Maximum.

Go create an account at a place like www.upwork.com

Post you want an open source forum, offer maximum $80 if you feel generous, find a coder (tons will bid and beg you for work from all over the world) and get it done in 1-2 hours.

Get a guy that knows basic ABC - $80 is a fortune for this kind of work as its kind of simple mindless work.
        Last edited by hockeyscout; 07-23-2016, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post

John, some help here for a guy who has a lot of hours handling these types of projects. I once had 200 sites, but I have cut it down now to half a dozen now as I like to fish, workout and pursue my hobbies.

This forum should take no more than one to two hours to complete. Maximum.

Go create an account at a place like www.upwork.com

Post you want an open source forum, offer maximum $80 if you feel generous, find a coder (tons will bid and beg you for work from all over the world) and get it done in 1-2 hours.

Get a guy that knows basic ABC - $80 is a fortune for this kind of work as its kind of simple mindless work.
          I wonder if hockeyscout knows what he is talking about here?
          don_budge

Comment

I have used Upwork (formerly Elance) a great deal. I have found a good developer there but I had to wade through a great deal of incompetent ones to find him. Upwork can be risky. You are dealing with people you never see and whose credentials maybe bogus. I wouldn't recommend Upwork for a website like Tennisplayer. John would be taking a big risk to do so. A website like Tennisplayer needs a relationship with a seasoned developer....a relationship that can be ongoing.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              I have used Upwork (formerly Elance) a great deal. I have found a good developer there but I had to wade through a great deal of incompetent ones to find him. Upwork can be risky. You are dealing with people you never see and whose credentials maybe bogus. I wouldn't recommend Upwork for a website like Tennisplayer. John would be taking a big risk to do so. A website like Tennisplayer needs a relationship with a seasoned developer....a relationship that can be ongoing.
              No doubt...further testimony of the beauty of the world we live in. Virtual reality.
              don_budge

Comment

Having fun trolling Don_Budge?

Likely, a small businessman like Slotty has vetting process issues. I have a special assistant, and infrastructure. I like the fact that Upwork and Freelancer handle the contracts, paperwork, escrow, payment and mediation (if something goes wrong).

Now, if Upwork, Freelancer or any other company doesn't handle the mediation the way it needs to be handled (client is always right), then you just have your finance manager call Upwork, Freelancer or whoever, and let them know a chargeback will be on the way its not done right in 24 hours.

I never trust a webmaster, coder or professional. EVER. The can always add in a back door, and play with your server, steal your code base or files.

So, that is why I also use a secondary firm called RackSpace. They are quality control, and handle some Fortune 500 companies. They backup files, inspect every line code, test, update, modify, send back work that needs to be revised and manage the server 24-7. The package - special services contract I have with Rackspace is very expensive (I have my own personal manager), but, well worth it and better than doing it in-house. They never miss a thing, and I never have any errors.

Last edited by hockeyscout; 08-07-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Having fun trolling Don_Budge?
                  I think you misunderstood...I was suggesting you may have a good point.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I think you misunderstood...I was suggesting you may have a good point.
                    My apologises don_budge. Didn't read it carefully.

Comment

Apology unnecessary...but thanks anyways. I think that every single function that was available on the old forum venue should be restored and then some. As it stands now much has been lost. Perhaps some of the forum contributors were not even aware of some of the existing functions.

Still not able to search for instance..."2016 French Open" even though I know that an entire thread was devoted to it. On the old forum there used to be approximately seven or eight options in a bar at the top of the page to make selections. Among those options used to be "search", "search members", etc.

don_budge

Comment

The old forum was effective.

Simple.

don_budge is correct.

It was actually a terrific forum.

Comment

Guys,
                          What makes the Forum good is you guys. The posts. That doesn't need to change. Unless you want it to. Try the search again now.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3377 users online. 3 members and 3374 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X