2016 Olympic Games...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Olympic Games...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Here is the draw sheet for the 2016 Olympic Games. I remember the 2012 Games somewhat...didn't Roger Federer lose to Andy Murray in a rather lackluster performance. Maybe I should try the "search" function on this new forum to see what was written about it.

Novak Djokovic the top seed and Andy Murray the number two. Good old Rafael Nadal is seeded third and he is the biggest non-story in the draw. Somehow he seems to be vulnerable to any player now. Especially after not knowing anything about his form. Or did he pull another one of his magical disappearing acts only to come back bigger and stronger than ever. How many weeks has this guy spent on the "injured list" during his career yet manage to make comeback after comeback. Any thinking person would want to know some answers to some pretty simple questions. Afterall this sort of pattern is unprecedented by the top player in the world. "The Greatest Of All Time"...many were early on promoting this player as. Does anyone still believe that?

I don't think the Olympic Games is a traditional tennis venue. The players don't seem to take it so seriously as a Grand Slam for instance. But it makes good resume material. Andy Murray took great satisfaction in his Olympic Gold Medal and he won it at Wimbledon in his home country of Great Britain. It couldn't have been more perfectly scripted.

In Rio de Janeiro there has been quite a bit of talk about the conditions being substandard for the athletes but we can pretty much be rest assured that our boys are not staying in the Olympic Village. There are a lot of big names in the draw besides the top three seeds minus Roger Federer. Oh yeah...I forgot to mention that Roger wasn't in the draw this year. But of all of the names in the draw I think I would like most of all to see Gael Monfils have a great showing. Monfils has been showing signs recently of having great performance within himself and he demonstrated in two weeks back to back recently that he could keep his head in the game. He may be the one player in the tournament who can keep this non-event from becoming a virtual snoozer.

The top two players in the world are without argument Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray and they are also a couple of the more boring players as well. Novak is boring because he monotonously wins tournament after tournament without seeming to break a sweat. Andy is just plain boring...from his haircut to his attire to his behavior.

Let the Games begin...in fact they already have.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

I watched day 1 of the tennis competition. It's lacking that certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Je ne sais quoi...

Yeah...that old "I don't know what". Well I know damn well what it is. It's the true spirit of competition and this is the problem of having the professionals involved in something that was traditionally amateur in the "strictest" sense of the word. I say that in italics because even then...traditionally there were athletes cheating under the table. Not that you can blame them. I guess that was part of the spirit.

But speaking of the true spirit of the game it appeared that it was on true display last night here in Sweden. Dead in the middle of the night nature called...3:15 AM or so. I got up and went back to bed and tossed and turned a bit. I got up and went to the computer to check on the election proceedings, terror attacks around the world and ATP results...in that order. Hillary is a congenital liar...Trump is a hot dog and there are so many dead. ATP wise...Nick the Jerk beat John Isner in Atlanta.

Last thing I checked was "batmanstream.com" and I'm glad I did but then again I almost may have regretted it. But luckily my good buddy Juan Martin Del Potro bailed me out. I picked up the action late in the second set and Del Potro finished off Novak Djokovic in a couple of tie-breaks. I say good buddy because after I went back to bed at 4 AM I had a dream about Del Potro.

Juan Martin is a player that has been sorely missed on the tour these past few years. He was just arriving at top form and he started having issues in his wrists. He has had one operation on his right wrist and three on his left. It appeared in his recent comeback attempt that he was favoring the left wrist and was hitting predominately one handed slice backhands. Until yesterday when it looked as if nothing was bothering him on the left hand side as he was trading backhands with the best of them...Novak Djokovic...and daring Novak to move the ball over onto his forehand. Whenever Novak did hit to the Del Potro forehand he paid a steep price as the "Jolly Green Argentine" was just pounding the cover off of the ball. From anywhere in the court. In the second tie-break Novak made the mistake of coming in off of down the line approaches to the Del Potro forehand and Juan Martin hammered both down the line without hesitation. Desperate play from Djokovic at that point as Del Potro had him on his heels the whole match. I might add that both of Djokovic's approaches had top spin on them so they were both right smack dab in Del Potro's wheel house...as 10splayer used to like to say.

When Del Potro was out convalescing his injuries I was suggesting to anybody that would listen that he should learn to play one-handed backhands. Well it appears that he got a lot of reps on his slice backhand. There was one shot that caught my eye in particular. Novak hit it short around the service line to Del Potro's backhand and Juan Martin was in on top of it. He shot a low skidding slice with a side spin down the line that totally beat Djokovic. Novak got his racquet on the ball but could do nothing but fluff it into the net. Here is a prime example of what has been lost in the modern game. I can imagine Juan Martin playing a huge classic game in the modern era. His serve was unreturnable the whole match. He never faced a break point against in the second set.

It was a great dream too. When I returned to bed the noodle was still thinking Del Potro. I was in my hotel room and somehow made my way down to the lounge or restaurant. The details are somewhat fuzzy and the route I took seemed to have me repelling down the facade of the hotel and meandering through a maze if different rooms. When I got to the restaurant Del Potro was there somewhat alone...although I believe he had company. I struck up a conversation with him and asked him about his position in the tournament with regard to his coming back to form. I said on the one hand he had eliminated the number one player in the world playing on a very, very high level but what was it going to be like when he was facing the 25th, the 36th or the 40 something's. Would he be able to sustain that level throughout the duration of the tournament. He never did answer as he was distracted by an interviewer but I noticed that he looked very uncomfortable. I think he had a first aid kit with him. He was looking for something. I asked him what was wrong and he just made some funny faces. It looked to me as if he was cramping. I ended up giving him a rubdown...super tough rubdown. I know a bit of massage as I ended up dating my masseuse from a Hawaiian spa in one of my previous lives. She was named Kat...with a K. Short for Katherine. The Del Potro rubdown was Lennart Bergilen style. Dr. Black and Blue. In my dream I had found my way back to my room and had gone to bed with some Czechoslovakian beauty and woke up only to find Del Potro in the bed to. He was on my left side with his back to me...the big lug. I asked the Czech gal to move into the middle as I didn't feel comfortable being in the middle. Yewwweee....Je ne sais quio!

Last edited by don_budge; 08-07-2016, 09:39 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

It's tough to get excited about the tennis Olympics. I am not sure it should even be in there, being that it's about as professional as a sport gets and the atmosphere seems as dead as a Dodo.

I was happy for Del Potro. How unlucky can a player be during a career...non-stop injuries and all that? Had he been fit throughout his career it's likely the top three would have a slam or two less in their trophy cabinet. But that's life. Life doesn't know the meaning of fair or unlucky. It just keeps rolling on...oblivious. Let's hope Del Potro wins the whole thing. He deserves it.

Stotty
        Last edited by stotty; 08-11-2016, 01:54 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Pumped for Del Potro. What an incredible victory. Lots of emotion from both men.

That was only the 5th match in Djokovic's career where he did not earn himself a break point.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Dustin Brown down...Del Potro through

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics...07-gqn5lm.html

Dustin Brown rolled his ankle and was taken to the hospital in Rio. Juan Martin Del Potro is through to the next round. Gael Monfils to take the court anytime now.

don_budge

Comment

2016 Olympic Tennis...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

I am tempted to project Del Potro into the semi's against Nadal. Just speculation. I never actually project players into the next round as I would never project myself into the next round. You have to play the thing out...as klacr likes to say. At the same time I would love to see Gael Monfils in the role of the spoiler against Andy Murray in the bottom half. God forbid a repeat from the Scottish drone...gnome.

"The Amazing Mr. Monfils" has his hands full with Marin Cilic in this next test coming up. A rejuvenated Nadal may get a couple of tests from smaller but feisty players in Gilles Simon or David Goffin. Did Del Potro show signs of stumbling after his big win over the world's number one? Were my questions to him in my dream interview on the money? Can he sustain the level against lesser players who are perhaps more motivated for Olympic stardom than the current Numero Uno?

Stevie Johnson remains the last American hope. But he can get through the next round. He is playing the current #84 player in the world compared to his own #22 ranking. He should get through...at least on paper. Then he faces the winner of "Fabulous" Fabio Fognini. This Italian Stallion is a real enigma. He can come up with the goods as he has shown in a number of matches with the physically suspect Rafael Nadal. Can he pull the trigger on Andy Murray? Let's hope so. This will inject a bit of "watchability" into the dismal Scot. To see him go down in flames to Fabio will ironically increase his value on the tour. But Murray should prevail.

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                2016 Olympic Tennis...Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I am tempted to project Del Potro into the semi's against Nadal. Just speculation. I never actually project players into the next round as I would never project myself into the next round. You have to play the thing out...as klacr likes to say. At the same time I would love to see Gael Monfils in the role of the spoiler against Andy Murray in the bottom half. God forbid a repeat from the Scottish drone...gnome.

"The Amazing Mr. Monfils" has his hands full with Marin Cilic in this next test coming up. A rejuvenated Nadal may get a couple of tests from smaller but feisty players in Gilles Simon or David Goffin. Did Del Potro show signs of stumbling after his big win over the world's number one? Were my questions to him in my dream interview on the money? Can he sustain the level against lesser players who are perhaps more motivated for Olympic stardom than the current Numero Uno?

Stevie Johnson remains the last American hope. But he can get through the next round. He is playing the current #84 player in the world compared to his own #22 ranking. He should get through...at least on paper. Then he faces the winner of "Fabulous" Fabio Fognini. This Italian Stallion is a real enigma. He can come up with the goods as he has shown in a number of matches with the physically suspect Rafael Nadal. Can he pull the trigger on Andy Murray? Let's hope so. This will inject a bit of "watchability" into the dismal Scot. To see him go down in flames to Fabio will ironically increase his value on the tour. But Murray should prevail.

"The dismal Scot"

Comment

Funny tennis tournament this Olympic games stuff. You either have someone amazing to play or some bloke barely heard of. Still, the names left in the draw are now looking a bit more household.

Murray may take some stopping here. Steve Johnson certainly doesn't look too much of an obstacle from what I have so far seen. Monfils could do it if he gets past Nishikori.

Del Potro and Nadal would seem to be on a collision course. That could be an interesting game if it does come about. One imagines Del Potro's favourite surface is a hard court. The ball sits up nicely for him should Nadal not be finding his length. I am hoping the match will come about. I may make a point of watching it if it does.

Stotty
                  Last edited by stotty; 08-11-2016, 01:53 PM.
                  Stotty

Comment

From "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" to "The Dismal One"...2016 Olympics Gold Medal Tennis

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    Funny tennis tournament this Olympic games stuff. You either have someone amazing to play or some bloke barely heard of. Still, the names left in the draw are now looking a bit more household.

Murray may take some stopping here. Steve Johnson certainly doesn't look too much of an obstacle from what I have so far seen. Monfils could do it if he gets past Nishikori.

Del Potro and Nadal would seem to be on a collision course. That could be an interesting game if it does come about. One imagines Del Potro's favourite surface is a hard court. The ball sits up nicely for him should Nadal not be finding his length. I am hoping the match will come about. I may make a point of watching it if it does.

Stotty
                    The best final would be "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" versus Juan Martin Del Potro. The Amazing One tamed Marin Cilic yesterday after losing the first set in a tie-break. The thing is that not so long ago if Monfils would lose a first set against a player of Cilic's stature he would often go on walkabout and disappear for the remainder of the match. Here he showed a willingness to take his lumps and then turn the tables. Apparently he has more confidence in his ability to hang around and get into position to win. This is what great players do when they don't have their "A" game.

Del Potro seems to be answering my question regarding his struggling with lesser known talents. These lesser known guys smell blood now with Del Potro. He used to be one of the most gigantic fish in the sea but his injuries have rendered him vulnerable. He has stepped it up but it is all still inconclusive even though he had a big win over the world's number one player in the first round...Novak Djokovic. Roberto Bautista-Agut is the perfect match for Juan Martin at this point in the tournament. If he gets by Agut he may just be ready for a resurgent Rafael Nadal who shows less signs of the lesser version we saw during the earlier parts of this year.

Monfils against Nishikori is a match worth watching. Perhaps. Depending entirely upon Monfils. Nishikori in himself is virtually worthless in terms of "watchability". He has the personality of a carrot. Not so with "The Amazing Mr. Monfils"...in the absence of real true classic tennis players he can carry a match with not only his antics and athleticism...he is actually an emotional human being. A refreshing respite from the rest of the robots.

It's too bad "The Fabulous Fognini" didn't finish off "The Dismal One" yesterday. He had him on his heels but failed to deliver the knockout blow. He was really pounding him with combinations in the middle part of the match but Andy Murray is one of the cagiest competitors on the tour with all of his grimacing, howling and bitching.

don_budge

Comment

Well that;s first time I have seen Nishikori show some real metal. An amazing performance from 0-4 in the tie-break. Seems he has some balls after all.

Stotty
                      Last edited by stotty; 08-13-2016, 06:06 AM.
                      Stotty

Comment

Juan Martin Del Potro can save the day...2016 Olympic Tennis

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                        Well that;s first time I have seen Nishikori show some real metal. An amazing performance from 0-4 in the tie-break. Seems he has some balls after all.
                        Yeah baby! But Nishikori shows signs of this all of the time which is why he is ranked so high. But most of the time it doesn't have a happy ending. But no matter...he is still a real bore. Right up there with "The EverReady Energizer Bunny". But how about that Gael Monfils. "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" once again comes down from a set and losing a tough first set tie-break and dusts himself off and competes right to the bitter end. I hope he didn't give "The Samurai Kid" too much love with the handshake or modern day hug and a kiss...I hope he muttered under his breath, "I'm going to hunt you to the end of the earth you mother*cker". Be a killer Gael. Neat and clean.

Juan Martin Del Potro through in straight sets over Roberto Bautista-Agut. Did I get the hyphen right? Good sign...great sign as a matter of fact. In my dream interview with the "Jolly Green Argentine" I asked him if he could keep up the magic against lesser knowns and for me this is the existential question for him reemerging from a prolonged injury timeout. He survived a couple of these sort of betwixt and between performances to come up with a solid performance against Agut. Once again it places him in position to take down one of the "Big Four" and this is what he should be hungering for. The Olympics in South America is a perfect venue to come out and show the world..."I'm Back!!!".

Robin Söderling is doing work in the booth for the Olympic Tennis and he was commenting on the ritual that Fafa Nadal performs on his anus and other parts of his anatomy for each and every serve and on each and every return point. Robin is only pointing out the obvious about one of tennis' sacred sons. Nadal is one piece of neurotic work. Toss in Andy Murray in that kettle and what do you have? You have a sport desperately lacking for heroes. Isn't that what sports is all about? It used to be at any rate. These guys are pretenders...throw Djokovic under the bus as well. His biggest fault is he lacks a supporting cast.

Nishikori and Murray? Honestly...does anybody truly care? It's only the Olympics to boot.

don_budge

Comment

Juan Martin Del Potro versus Rafael Nadal...Semifinals of the 2016 Olympic Tennis Games

Juan Martin putting a lot of pressure on the Nadal backhand by pounding forehand after forehand at the backhand. He is up a break in the first set. It's very impressive the amount of pressure he is putting on the backhand as Nadal is so rushed he can only manage a rather weak one handed slice.

don_budge

Comment

Two Hours Later...

Del Potro serving for the match...5-4 in the third set.

don_budge

Comment

The big man did well. He has the right idea. Nadal and Djokovic play the consistency card every time. Del Potro blasted straight through them both. I think he hits the biggest forehands I have ever seen. Boring as hell to watch but at least he can play the top four and and keep the outcome in doubt.

He's a tough bastard Nadal. He is 80 percent or less than the player he was yet still manages to compete. You have to admire his steel, his stomach for a scrap.

Stotty
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2290 users online. 8 members and 2282 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X