Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking news: Goran to coach Berdych

I think Kyle will like this....
    Berdych fired his previous coach, Dani Vallverdu, in May and has trained the last two months with Luka Kutanjac. 

Yes! It's a great hire. I made a comment about it in the Cilic serve interactive forum regarding the serve.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

It's going to take more than a tweak to get Berdych's serve anything like his own. That said, it will be interesting to see if any adjustments are made.
      Stotty

Comment

At Berdych's age (31 next month) its difficult to make any sweeping changes but it's the little adjustments, maybe in his serve but more in his belief and attitude that he needs. Technique wise, his groundstrokes are immaculate. I'm curious to see what Goran will do. Of course, John will be in Cincy and can witness the Berdych-Goran collaboration on the practice court.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

The "Berdych-Goran collaboration"...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          At Berdych's age (31 next month) its difficult to make any sweeping changes but it's the little adjustments, maybe in his serve but more in his belief and attitude that he needs. Technique wise, his groundstrokes are immaculate. I'm curious to see what Goran will do. Of course, John will be in Cincy and can witness the Berdych-Goran collaboration on the practice court.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Truly a non-event if there ever was one. As klacr points out it is Berdych's age that precludes this being an insignificant move at this point. It isn't he serve that needs tweaking...it's the overall game that needs overhauling. Tomas Berdych is a prototype ATP professional tennis player playing the modern game of tennis. A tall perfectly proportioned man playing the junior game.

Years ago when Berdych was in his early teens someone needed to come along and help him to make the transition to the men's game. A player with a nose for the net. One handed backhand. Approach game. The whole enchilada. I know that klacr is a fan of Berdych's but I have never understood the fascination. He strikes me as being a rather nice guy...not a pushover by any means. But he doesn't have the kind of game that makes things happen and happen unexpectantly. This is a quality that all great players have and unfortunately Berdych's game has not been designed to make it happen.

Goran for his part was extremely unpredictable as a player. We are speaking about emotional qualities which sort of translated into this quality that I write about Berdych lacking. But for his part he was too unpredictable...he lacked the necessary discipline. Who knows...maybe this collaboration will produce a chemical mix where you get the unpredictability of Ivanisevic. But the other necessary ingredient will always be missing. The foundation of aspects that have disappeared in the modern game of tennis...serve and volley, approach and volley. Subtle aspects of the game. Berdych is now stuck with the junior game playing in a man's body.

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I think he needs to stop firing coaches and hire a great fitness coach as its his movement that lets him down.
            He has the weapons with the serve and a huge forehand but he's lacking in the speed department. We know he's a big guy but at times he does look very off balance on court and often very slow moving forwards on to the short ball.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              I think he needs to stop firing coaches and hire a great fitness coach as its his movement that lets him down.
              He has the weapons with the serve and a huge forehand but he's lacking in the speed department. We know he's a big guy but at times he does look very off balance on court and often very slow moving forwards on to the short ball.
              He choked last night.

His serve has more firepower on it, that is the noticeable difference in first tourney together.

He was down a set and 2-4 to Cilic, he came back, forced a 3rd set and at 4-all in 3rd set he played a loose game and got broken. The work on Berdych needs to be between the ears.

As far as his speed, he's 6'5", how much faster can he get? He's not Usain Bolt, in fact, no other man close to that height comes close to Bolt. Berdych for his size gets around pretty well, but he's a tractor, not a formula 1 car. He will never be as fast as Djokovic, Murray, Federer, Nadal or even Wawrinka. Berdych is also bigger than all of them. Get size, lose speed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

if its not his movement then what is it?
                he has the weapons maybe its a mental issue ,perhaps he should hire boris as he worked wonders with djokovic. Djjovic used to fold under pressure but not anymore.
                Stotty

Comment

Berdych out of the US Open with Appendicitis.

He was feeling great and optimistic with his new coach Goran. Big setback for my boy.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2889 users online. 4 members and 2885 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X