Where do I hold the racquet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I hold the racquet?

I didn't find this question by searching through the forums so I'll ask it. I've been noticing lately from the videos that most of the pros hold the racquet much lower than I do. It would probably be good to take a picture, but what I really want to know is if what I am noticing is a correct way to do it from now on. Also would this way be ok for showing a beginner after they have the basic strokes down?

If needed here is some extra information. I'm at a low 4.5 level and since I recently converted to a one-handed backhand I've been mainly watching how Federer and Phillippoussis have been hitting. I noticed that they hold the racquet with their pinky almost flush with the bottom of the racquet. This places the butt of the racquet almost in the palm of their hands. This low grip, at least to me, seems to be used on every other stroke that they do, too.

I usually hold my racquet maybe a 3/4 inch higher than what I just described, so this definitely doesn't place the butt of the racquet inside my palm. When I try to put the butt of the racquet in my palm with the pinky flush to the bottom of the racquet, I definitely notice I can hit slightly harder, what is definitely difficult is on my backhand side where I feel I am losing a little more control.

Is holding the grip the way I described the way I should just start to do all my strokes from now on? Although I just started learning to gain more control on my backhand side, and this new grip hold made my control slide a little, I'm sure I can regain my control soon enough with more practice.

I am also teaching my girlfriend tennis, who is getting the strokes pretty well now, but I'm not sure when in her stage I can introduce such a hold in the grip.

Thanks for your help,
    charlie

* sorry, this should probably be in the "your strokes" section, but I'm not sure how to move it. *
    Last edited by charliebuy; 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM.

I'm not sure it's a significant factor in the strokes. It may cause the hand and wrist to be more relaxed. It may in effect add racket length.

It'd be way down my list in terms of things to look for an experiment with, especially at the 4.5 level, not to mention a beginner.

I think that it's better to keep the butt of the racket even with the bottom of the palm of the hand and that this will give most players a better chance of controlling the racket, especially on the groundstrokes. On the serve maybe it doesn't matter if it slips a little.

But I'd be more concerned with the grip alignment and the stroke fundamentals.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7640 users online. 8 members and 7632 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X