Visiting The Rafael Nadal Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting The Rafael Nadal Academy

Let's get your thoughts on Chris Lewit's article "Visiting The Rafael Nadal Academy"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's get your thoughts on Chris Lewit's article "Visiting The Rafael Nadal Academy"
    Obviously, the Nadals realize that very few players will go on to professional stardom and see tennis as part of an overall life plan for their players.
    As they should, because it is very true. Better to build an academy with the majority in mind so long as it can propel the exceptional ones on to stardom.

A good, informative article. A number of pro's are building academies lately. Our own Andy Murray is building an academy in Scotland, supposedly state of the art. Well these guys have millions so why not?

It will be interesting to see how Nadal's academy pans out. I will certainly be going to visit. My local airpot is 15 minutes from where I live and flies directly to Majorca....just two hours from the UK.

I have a former student at the Ferrero Academy right now. She has been there the last couple of years. She loves it. It's like a big family. Players who make it never forget where they came from an often come back to train at the academy as a base. They also mix in a practice with the emerging players coming through at the academy. Her parents are convinced that whether their daughter makes it to tour level or not, it will have been an amazing experience for her, and that there will be no sour grapes. You see it's a community...a good supportive community where their daughter will make tennis friends for life.

Majorca is beautiful, isn't it? I have been there many times and absolutely love it. The island is stunningly beautiful.

Stotty

Stotty

Comment

I heard about this Academy opening up. Very interesting that Nadal has stamped his brand on it. I wish them luck. It is a tough business but the Nadal name should give it some legs for the first couple of years.

And yes, Mallorca is pretty stunning.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton.

Comment

Stotty, Klacr,

I'm jealous! Only heard it's beautiful!

Comment

The niece of a friend of mine (a top Norwegian junior) is training at the Vilas Tennis Academy in Mallorca, and loves it. She just met Mats Wilander at a recent ATP Champions Tour event there.

Comment

Mallorca is like paradise. Really great place to visit. I believe Rafa's academy will be very popular for adults t combine vacation and sightseeing with good tennis training.

If you guys have any questions, just let me know

Chris

Comment

Great article Chris! I've had this discussion a few times with Chris about fast courts it's funny how Tony had pretty much the same Talk Chris pretty much learned tennis on the fastest courts in the world!! The surface is called Dynaturf it's a carpet and was laid down in 1974. When John McEnroe came in the early 90s while he was playing the pilot pen in Connecticut and visiting a friend in Bedford NH he said these are the fastest courts in world by far I'll take him at his word. So Chris knows a lot when it comes to fast courts ha ha. Chris actually used to be a big time serve and volley guy I believe he's well rounded now after soaking himself in the Spanish methodology of the game
              although i'd still like to see him come to net more in my opinion every sport is built on speed and every year it seems like the players get faster and stronger as Tony found out early on when he had to teach RAFA to hug the baseline if he was ever going to compete on hardcourt surfaces. My belief is that you should take everything in advice wise and be a well-rounded player👍

Comment

Here is some info on the opening of the academy and the sponsorships:

Rafael Nadal's sponsor Telefonica is heavily involved in the academy the Spaniard has opened in Manacor.

The Rafa Nadal Academy by Movistar is a joint project between Nadal and Telefonica, which signed Nadal up two years ago. The CEO of the company, Jose MarĂ­a Alvarez-Pallete, was at the official opening of the academy yesterday.

It contributed to the 24,000 square meter grounds with extensive facilities, which include 26 courts, seven football fields, two swimming pools and areas for several other sports in addition to the newest equipment for physical training. There is also a full academic program. The academy is for players between 10 and 18 years of age, wanting to either play professionally or combine the sport with their education.

The cost of attending is said to be about $62,000 annually.

Nadal said he plans to be "very involved" with the academy, said of Telefonica, ''Having one of the biggest and most international companies in our country is definitely an assurance to me and my team.''

The official opening was attended by Roger Federer, who praised the facilities and structure of the academy.

Others at the opening included ATP CEO Chris Kermode, ITF President David Haggerty, and Philip Brook, chairman of Wimbledon, and other tennis officials.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8064 users online. 6 members and 8058 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X