Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Shanghai Rolex Masters...ATP 1000...Shanghai, China

A Sign of the Times...

Ever since Roger Federer has "retired" there has been a void that has been unfulfilled. It's dramatic what an ATP 1000 fails to generate in interest when Roger is not in the house. Every one is there...Djokovic, Murray, Nadal, the "Next Generation" kids, assorted deplorables. I guess I'm one of them. Sigh. The game just doesn't seem to be the same ever since Roger left. It's not that Roger is a personal hero to me or anything...its only that he was the only one that could generate any interest at all. Why is that?

Here's the draw...

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

You can see that Novak is off and running. I saw just a couple of points with he and "The Fabulous One". Fognini is no slouch either. He's handsome and dashing. He swaggers around the court. But somehow the tennis just doesn't get it. Does anyone else find Djokovic to be a total bore? A total prima donna? Grigor Dimitrov had a nice victory over the 14th seeded Richard Gasquet. I saw just a couple of points in that match as well. Two splendid one handed backhands and the "Baby Fed" imitation stuff as well. But that didn't hold my interest either.

Yeah...they are all there. Let's just see what develops. It is afterall an ATP 1000 tournament. There should be some interest in such an event. Something compelling in the world of sport. But if what I have been saying all along is true? I wish that I was wrong...about a lot of things.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Thanks for the Shanghai thread don_budge.
    The void of interest is most evident in the fact that you posted this yesterday. Two full days into the event. Usually you create a tourney thread before these big events even begin.

No doubt tennis feels the lack of Roger. There is an energy and vibe when he is in the tournament. Guess I have to to put all chips in with Berdych. Or maybe spend a few on Feliciano Lopez, but he's n o spring chicken either.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Kyrgios has gone into full douche mode out there. The only true change that will ever take place with him is if the ATP would actually give him some time off but as we all know, that will never happen.

Comment

Full Douche Mode...

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Kyrgios has gone into full douche mode out there. The only true change that will ever take place with him is if the ATP would actually give him some time off but as we all know, that will never happen.
        Care to elaborate stroke...or are you going to make me look for it on youtube. Nick Kyrgios...equals Big Time Wrestling tennis. It's a sign...and a bad one at that. I love the expression...it's something that Donald Trump can use to good effect.
        don_budge

Comment

The Malaise of Tennis...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          The void of interest is most evident in the fact that you posted this yesterday. Two full days into the event. Usually you create a tourney thread before these big events even begin.

No doubt tennis feels the lack of Roger. There is an energy and vibe when he is in the tournament. Guess I have to to put all chips in with Berdych. Or maybe spend a few on Feliciano Lopez, but he's n o spring chicken either.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          That's right...I even missed to other ATP events in the Japan Open and another event in China. Big events too. Events that have implications...you know. End of the year point standings for the Big Event...the Tour Championships. Kei Nishikori defaults in his home country event. Douche Bag extraordinaire wins in Tokyo beating David Goffin in the finals. Ivo Karlovic plays three matches in which he plays seven consecutive tie-breakers. In the Beijing event Andy Murray emerges the winner over Grigor Dimitrov. Dimitrov defeated Fafa Nadal who continues to show signs of erosion. Murray for his part defeats nobody of interest including David Ferrer who manages a semifinal in the tourney. Yeah...it's getting tired.

It's a culmination point and there doesn't appear to be any plan for the future. The game needed Roger. Pure and simple. Without him...its a malaise.

don_budge

Comment

We need to get back to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf4wrrpzdYc

Tennis at its purest. No chairs at the changeover, no incessant ball bouncing, just straight down to business. I am so glad this video surfaced. I think its the finest clip that exists. I am not sure how long this match took, but I doubt, despite it being a five setter, it breached the 3 hour hour mark or anything like it.

The ATP are looking into ways of shortening tennis matches and seem determined to introduce a formula for doing so. I say, don't mess with a game that was perfect to start with, but instead mess with mess that got us into this mess. You do this by removing things. I will leave you all to consider what needs removing. You shouldn't have to think too hard.

Stotty

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Full Douche Mode...

Care to elaborate stroke...or are you going to make me look for it on youtube. Nick Kyrgios...equals Big Time Wrestling tennis. It's a sign...and a bad one at that. I love the expression...it's something that Donald Trump can use to good effect.
              He just decided to quit trying when things were not going as he would have liked. The umpire said something to him about it, and not surprisingly, Nick reacted to that bit of advice just as one would expect. As I have mentioned about another player, at least he never fails to disappoint, which in his case means be a relentless douche. Tennis unfortunately has this issue with players such as Tomic, Fognini, and by far the most dislikeable, Kyrgios. I cannot think of another sport where I have ever seen this kind of behavior, where a competitor just really quits competing.

​​​​​​
              Last edited by stroke; 10-12-2016, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Full Douche Mode...

Kyrgios lost to Misha Zverev. Older brother of Alex. Kyrgios was not in the mood to play. He made this evident by not trying for return of serves, by dinking, Yes! Dinking the ball over on his serve and on changeovers told the umpire to speed things up by calling "time" a little faster so that the match could be finished quicker. A spectator then shouted out "Respect the game" and "respect the people (fans). Kyrgios heard it and retorted back "Shut up" and something to the effect of "why don't you come out and play?"

Wow, I don't care how much "talent" or "raw power" or "electricity" you bring to the game, if you act like this, I have little respect for you, I don't care how good or how much potential you have. Unacceptable.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                  We need to get back to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf4wrrpzdYc

Tennis at its purest. No chairs at the changeover, no incessant ball bouncing, just straight down to business. I am so glad this video surfaced. I think its the finest clip that exists. I am not sure how long this match took, but I doubt, despite it being a five setter, it breached the 3 hour hour mark or anything like it.

The ATP are looking into ways of shortening tennis matches and seem determined to introduce a formula for doing so. I say, don't mess with a game that was perfect to start with, but instead mess with mess that got us into this mess. You do this by removing things. I will leave you all to consider what needs removing. You shouldn't have to think too hard.

Stotty
                  Truly an unbelievable clip. The entire match was on youtube at one point. It was a subject of one of the best threads ever...at least since I have been participating. It got a little raucous at times...but as I was telling Nate, what the hell.

Tennis at its purest. Here was tennis' bad boy...he was watchable and likable. Compare him to Nick "Full Douche Mode" Kyrgios...well I guess you get my drift.
                  don_budge

Comment

Professional Tennis and Big Time Wrestling...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    Kyrgios lost to Misha Zverev. Older brother of Alex. Kyrgios was not in the mood to play. He made this evident by not trying for return of serves, by dinking, Yes! Dinking the ball over on his serve and on changeovers told the umpire to speed things up by calling "time" a little faster so that the match could be finished quicker. A spectator then shouted out "Respect the game" and "respect the people (fans). Kyrgios heard it and retorted back "Shut up" and something to the effect of "why don't you come out and play?"

Wow, I don't care how much "talent" or "raw power" or "electricity" you bring to the game, if you act like this, I have little respect for you, I don't care how good or how much potential you have. Unacceptable.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    He just decided to quit trying when things were not going as he would have liked. The umpire said something to him about it, and not surprisingly, Nick reacted to that bit of advice just as one would expect. As I have mentioned about another player, at least he never fails to disappoint, which in his case means be a relentless douche. Tennis unfortunately has this issue with players such as Tomic, Fognini, and by far the most dislikeable, Kyrgios. I cannot think of another sport where I have ever seen this kind of behavior, where a competitor just really quits competing.

​​​​​​
                    Very interesting that this type of behavior is even remotely tolerated on the professional tennis tour. Quitting? Not Trying? Tanking? Not a very good example for the tennis world to be watching.

Nick Kyrgios won in Japan the week before so he apparently thinks that he deserves some time off. The attitude problem here is too big to have any viable solution. There is something so void of decency and honesty that there is nothing to salvage. It's too bad. It's a bad sign. I think that this sort of tanking goes on quite a bit on the tour except the players don't make it so obvious by going "Full Douche Mode".

I just got done watching the end of the Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Alexander Zverev match. Zverev lost his serve and five all in the third set and he lost his mind and went bonkers. He broke the racquet in his hand and then went to his seat to changeover and proceeded to smash another to smithereens. It was a childish and petulant display. I often watch this hyped up Next Generation player and think that he is very immature and spoiled. I really don't care for him any more than Kyrgios. Deep down inside he is probably every bit as much the jerk that Nick "The Jerk" is.

The post Roger Federer culmination point is upon us. With the only class act out of the way there is a void to be filled. What is there to fill it with?

don_budge

Comment

Troicki Stuns Nadal...

So says the headline of the article. Victor Troicki, ranked #31 in the world currently is the latest to send the once invincible Rafael Nadal packing. These are ominous defeats for Nadal and it begs the question...how did he slump so far...so fast. If the answer has something to do with PED's a vast taint is cast upon his accomplishments of the past. Another sad sign...regarding the game of tennis and perhaps larger scenarios.

don_budge

Comment

Troicki Stuns Nadal...

So says the headline of the article. Victor Troicki, ranked #31 in the world currently is the latest to send the once invincible Rafael Nadal packing. These are ominous defeats for Nadal and it begs the question...how did he slump so far...so fast. If the answer has something to do with PED's a vast taint is cast upon his accomplishments of the past. Another sad sign...regarding the game of tennis and perhaps larger scenarios.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/...2016-wednesday
                        It's tough to know what has truly happened to Nadal. From the outset of his decline his forehand seemed to simply disappear. It was once a shot so great that he could base his whole game around it. It was incredibly secure and incredibly damaging at the same time. While I prefer Federer's for its beauty and versatility, Nadal's forehand was probably more reliable and, over the course of a match, more damaging, as it had an accumulating effect.

I wonder how much longer he will give it before he calls it a day. I cannot see him winning another slam.

Stotty
                        Stotty

Comment

Nadal Aside...Mischa Zverev

A stunning first set from Mischa Zverev to take the first from Novak Djokovic 6-4. I tuned in at 4-3 and Zverev serving. Never having seen Zverev before my first observation was his service motion. He is left handed and has a perfect motion. The spin and delivery had Djokovic completely off balance. The second thing that I noticed...and this wasn't hard to do was that Zverev was actually serving and volleying and doing a damn good job of it. He held his serve. Novak began his service game by going up 40-0 but Zverev evened it up and went on to break for the set.

Observation number three and I have been a huge advocate of this...Zverev looks as if he has a typical prototype two handed backhand but he was relying almost primarily on a one handed slice backhand...keeping it on the Djokovic two hander but not exclusively. He is moving Djokovic from side to side and not trying to overpower him. He actually seems to be keeping the ball in the middle of the court and not giving Djokovic a lot of angles to work with. A little reminiscent of the Arthur Ashe vs. Jimmy Connors tactic that is being discussed.

A lot of old school tennis tactics being used by this fellow...whom I have never seen before. I have to admit...it makes my day. Zverev just broke for 2-0 in the second set.

don_budge

Comment

Castration Complex...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            It's tough to know what has truly happened to Nadal.

I wonder how much longer he will give it before he calls it a day. I cannot see him winning another slam.

Stotty
                            With all of the rumors swirling around his former performances. With the evidence of his physical appearance. What happened to his forehand doesn't appear to be at the crux of the issue. It appears that for some reason "The Bull" appears to have been castrated. There is such a thing as chemical castration and I am certain that this works in reverse to. Withholding chemicals may have the effect of castration.

It has been an amazing transformation. The interesting incredible thing is this...if he was being chemically enhanced it is amazing what a difference it made in his performance. If he was "juicing" all of those years it is simple startling that it made such a difference between him and his competition. Victor Troika went out in the next round just to show you that his opponent was nobody special. Another nobody special that sends Nadal packing.

It is getting embarrassing. Soon some intelligent people will be asking questions and demanding answers. Wait a second...maybe not. People don't do that anymore. Sheeple are sheeple.
                            don_budge

Comment

Zverev vs. Djokovic...

Zverev continues to slice the backhand to the middle of the court...favoring hitting it to just to the side of Djokovic's backhand. It is 5-4 for Zverev...Djokovic serving. Not once have either of the "commentatoes" mentioned the use of the slice backhand. This sort of stares in the face of logic as Zverev hits a two handed backhand. I wonder how often he used predominately the one handed slice or was this a tactic that he devised to play against Djokovic. He sort of hit a slump where it appeared that he was getting a bit tired...but here he is. On the precipice.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7756 users online. 8 members and 7748 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X