Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Stockholm Open...ATP 250...Stockholm, Sweden

2016 Stockholm Open...ATP 250...Stockholm, Sweden

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

It's only an ATP 250 event but who's counting? As a matter of fact it is always important who is doing the counting...particularly when the POTUS is at stake. But here in Stockholm the results are rigged as well. The population is trained from cradle to grave to rely upon the state for the grace of subsistence. Soft Communism is what I see. Nobody would admit to it though. They keep the King around...he comes in handy. On an aside...for the first time in history a daughter will inherit the title of King...bypassing the son. What did the Queen say? If I had balls I'd be King. Well she no longer needs balls. It is a war on men.

Sweden got a big thrill for themselves in the first round when Mikael Ymer...the younger brother of Elias who is touted as "Next Generation" by the desperados in charge of the future of tennis...defeated Fernando Verdasco 6-2, 6-1. I watched as much as I could on the youtube replay to see what the matter was with Verdasco. A "soft tank" I think. Nothing as obvious as the Nick "The Jerk" Kyrgios is capable of but the extra effort was lacking...if you know what I mean. On the other hand the kid came back the next round and took a set from Ivo Karlovic before going down 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the second round. Maybe Verdasco was having a bad night or maybe the kid is for real. Standard issue "Next Generation"...strong forehand, two handed backhand and a wannabe big serve without thoughtful tactics. No net play to speak of from what I saw. Interesting that the Ymer brothers are both born in Ethiopia as if Sweden is no longer capable of spawning their own. The robotic quality of the system is palpable. Mesmerizing. One-handed backhands are nearly illegal...which rules out net play of course.

Gael Monfils and "Downtown" Dustin Brown in the house. The Swedish King's Tennis Hall. Brown to play Jack Sock who got to the final last year if I am not mistaken...losing to Grigor Dimitrov...the Bulgarian Playboy. Grigor is on a collision course with Juan Martin Del Potro in the semifinals...should Juan Martin get by Karlovic and Nicolas Almagro in the next round.

There just may be some rather basic residual entertainment value in this tournament for the locals. The tournament may be using the "Robin Söderling" tennis ball which is sort of a bad joke. Just because his name is on it the whole country bypasses former favorite ball such as Tretorn and Technifibre. Its the way things work here. Söderling just so happens to be the tournament director. Terrible shame that Robin's career was cut short...due to some rather odd circumstances. Mononucleosis. The dreaded kissing disease.

Stay tuned...I'll try to keep it real. Live from downtown Stockholm...it's the Swedish Open.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

What a great introduction to the tournament, don budge. There is a wonderful writer in you...a definite creative side. Let's see if the tournament gives us something worth watching. Will you be travelling to Stockholm to watch?

Stotty
    Stotty

Comment

I have a friend who was there earlier in the week. She's a coach at a club in Stockholm. She mirrors the opinions of don_budge when it comes to the Swedish system. With that said, she also loves the Stockholm open. She was there to watch the Mikael Ymer-Verdasco match. The atmosphere was electric as the young Ethiopian/Swedish player was firing on all cylinders. Swedish has another famous Ethiopian born member of the public spotlight. It's none other than the famous NYC chef Marcus Samuelsson. He's got a great story and serious skills as a chef and businessman. His memoir "Yes, Chef" is a great read. Samuelsson is also a big tennis fan.

The Robin Soderling balls are a pretty good quality. They are getting rave reviews here in the states and I've hit with them a few times. Their durability is much higher than most of the balls on the market. He is also producing strings and grips. His co-poly string called RS Lyon has also received some good reviews. One of my members, who frequently breaks, tweaks and experiments with his strings has started using it and says he really likes it, better than many of the competitors.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

I watched a little of Dimitrov versus Zopp. Zopp had a few moments early in the second set but couldn't convert. The tournament seemed dead from a spectator point of view, I had a quick count up early in the first set and could only see 70 people. No doubt there were more seated further back...but you what I mean, attendance is dire. How do they make any money?

Stotty
        Stotty

Comment

Semifinal Saturday
          Dimitrov-Del Potro
          Sock vs. Zverev

Who you got and why?

Dimitrov playing some inspired tennis last months or so, but Delpo, always a fan favorite has that weapon of all weapons, that booming forehand. Dimitrov's defensive skills have to be on point today.

Sock and Zverev. The next generation. Sock a former finalist, losing to my boy Berdych in finals last year hoping to make it back to the Sunday showdown. Zverev looks to be getting better and better every week. So impressed with his development.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Jack Sock in the finals.

Two of the biggest and most talked about forehands on tour. Can Delpo continue his run to top form? Can Sock claim the Stockholm title that eluded him last year vs. Berdych? Time will tell.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Juan Martin Del Potro vs. Jack Sock in the finals.

Two of the biggest and most talked about forehands on tour. Can Delpo continue his run to top form? Can Sock claim the Stockholm title that eluded him last year vs. Berdych? Time will tell.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              It was told...Juan Martin Del Potro going away. It looked like Jack Sock ran out of energy and then patience. He wanted to get the match overweigh in the end. He called for the trainer to massage his arm after losing the first set. Juan Martin called for the trainer with a nose problem...possible nose bleed. Whatever...the Ymer brothers won the doubles which was improbable.

I never saw much of this tournament. Nothing of interest...not much. No inspiration. The game is flat lining without Roger Federer.

Zverev? I don't know. These "Next Generation" kids are sort unpredictable. One week they look rather unbeatable...the next month they are disappeared. Zverev is everybody's hopeful. I don't care for him. He has a petulance...a spoiled look about him that I don't care for. His game doesn't do anything for me. Typical stuff these days.

Stockholm is a couple of hours train ride away from me. I don't think that I would go to the end of my driveway to watch it in person. I could barely find the effort in me to tune into a couple two or three matches this week. Each match that I brought up immediately made me yawn or feel disgruntled about the tennis...it is so boring. A guy told me at the club yesterday that he saw the entire quarterfinal field on Friday for around 25 dollars...plus he only spent 150 dollars or so on accommodations for himself and his team...perhaps three or four boys. That sounded like a pretty good deal I told him enthusiastically but deep down inside I know that I wouldn't have spent a cent to see any of it. I would rather stay home and walk the dog...among other things.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

It was told...Juan Martin Del Potro going away. It looked like Jack Sock ran out of energy and then patience. He wanted to get the match overweigh in the end. He called for the trainer to massage his arm after losing the first set. Juan Martin called for the trainer with a nose problem...possible nose bleed. Whatever...the Ymer brothers won the doubles which was improbable.

I never saw much of this tournament. Nothing of interest...not much. No inspiration. The game is flat lining without Roger Federer.

Zverev? I don't know. These "Next Generation" kids are sort unpredictable. One week they look rather unbeatable...the next month they are disappeared. Zverev is everybody's hopeful. I don't care for him. He has a petulance...a spoiled look about him that I don't care for. His game doesn't do anything for me. Typical stuff these days.

Stockholm is a couple of hours train ride away from me. I don't think that I would go to the end of my driveway to watch it in person. I could barely find the effort in me to tune into a couple two or three matches this week. Each match that I brought up immediately made me yawn or feel disgruntled about the tennis...it is so boring. A guy told me at the club yesterday that he saw the entire quarterfinal field on Friday for around 25 dollars...plus he only spent 150 dollars or so on accommodations for himself and his team...perhaps three or four boys. That sounded like a pretty good deal I told him enthusiastically but deep down inside I know that I wouldn't have spent a cent to see any of it. I would rather stay home and walk the dog...among other things.
                My arm would need a massage if I hit with the grip Sock uses on his forehand.

The Ymer brothers are a great story. I really hope it boosts the interest and motivation level for Swedish tennis. It is a beautiful country in need of regaining its place on the big tennis podium.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8049 users online. 4 members and 8045 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X