Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RICK MACCI on Djokovic's backhand. ( great article )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RICK MACCI on Djokovic's backhand. ( great article )

Novak Djokovic’s two-handed backhand rarely falters. Its rock-solid reliability and excellence shine on both offence and defence, against diverse playing styles, and most impressively, when returning serve. Rick Macci, rated a Master Professional by the U.S. Professional Tennis Association and who has coached some World No. 1-ranked players, analyses the Serb’s much-celebrated stroke.

One thing that impress me the most about Nole's backhand is his running-sliding backhand pass.
    -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZJcLS27R4A

Fantastic article! Macci explains things so well. His articles here on the subject are also great. Thanks for posting.

Comment

A good read. We've heard much of it before on Tennisplayer but I like Macci's turn of phrase and the way he summarises strokes.

This comment was interesting and very true: "That really hasn’t been taught. They just figured out, out of necessity, how to do it." This is what I mentioned to John when recently (in a thread) discussing the ATP forehand. Talented kids often get their on there own.

Deceleration. Yes a handy term and something coaches (me included) often overlook. We encourage kids to move like bullets but don't teach them how to slow down...ease up.

The big muscles are running the show. That makes sense. It's a modern concept I go along with.

I am not sure Nishikori's backhand isn't a tad better than Djokovic's. When they go toe-to-toe with their backhands, Nishikori often comes out on top.

Macci is right that Federer can switch from defence to attack better than anyone. Federer is positively marauding when he is attacking.

I wonder if the word "optimal" is not a dangerous term when used by Macci and other high profile coaches. I dislike the term because it encourages everyone to do the same thing and evolve the same strokes. The term may or may not be correct. Is there truly an optimal way?

Stotty
      Last edited by stotty; 10-27-2016, 01:01 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

There is an optimal way when you are convincing parents that you know it...but every good coach should have a little of that. And agree totally about players figuring it out. Luckily for us, not all do and not many if any below the elite levels...

Comment

Interesting in the article that Rick side steps and takes no responsibility for the Williams' flaws. He claims they would have been better had they received further world-class coaching after leaving his academy. Allegedly, Rick spent three and half years coaching the sisters; six hours a day, six days a week. He taught them over a period many coaches would consider the most formative of player's development. Rick may have tried to correct those flaws, but couldn't, or maybe he didn't know as much back then. I suspect it's a bit of both.

If a coach has any chance of micro-managing every aspect of a player's strokes, it's when he has a talented athlete with whom he can spend 6 hours a day trying to get things right. I guess no matter how hard you try with some athletes you won't be able to create or amend everything.

Stotty
          Last edited by stotty; 10-28-2016, 02:19 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Deceleration. Yes a handy term and something coaches (me included) often overlook. We encourage kids to move like bullets but don't teach them how to slow down...ease up. The big muscles are running the show. That makes sense. It's a modern concept I go along with.
            Stotty
            How do you "encourage" a kid to run like a bullet? Big muscles run the show? Really? That is new to me. Please, fill me in.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8064 users online. 4 members and 8060 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X