2016 BNP Paribas Masters...ATP 1000...Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Post # 13 in this Thread:

"I have already hinted that all sorts of low-class individuals had made an appearance among us. In troubled times of uncertainty or transition all sorts of low individuals appear everywhere. I am not talking about the so-called "progressives", who are always in a greater hurry than everyone else (that is their chief concern) and whose aims, though mostly absurd, are more or less definite. No, I am speaking only of the rabble. This rabble, which you will find in any society, usually rises to the surface in every period of transition, and is not only without any aim, but also without an inkling of an idea, merely expressing with all its strength unrest and impatience.. And yet this rabble without realizing it itself, almost always finds itself under the command of the small crowd of "progressives", who act with a definite aim, and it is they who direct this scum where they like, provided they themselves are not composed of utter idiots, which, however happens, too." Fyodor Dostoyevsky…The Devils, Part III Chapter 1

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, like many great writers, was crazy as a bedbug in real life. One can note some holdover notions here from 19th century Russian aristocracy. The rabble are dummies. The rich people can be dummies or not but the rabble always are dummies. And I think a richly dumb person like Donald Trump can push dummies around as well as Hitler, Mussolini or any other person who never could be identified as "progressive."

One really needs to understand that the Russian Revolution was on the horizon when Dostoyevsky penned these words. And the so-called progressives were indeed having their way in pushing the rabble around. But they were
    devolving to Joseph Stalin, too, a cockroach in the imagery of the poet Osip Mandelstam (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osip_Mandelstam). Stalin was a bully who happened to murder millions but in any case pushed the"rabble" around. "Dictator" and "cockroach" are words more accurate for him than "progressive."
    Last edited by bottle; 11-06-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
      Isner...match point....a huge, well placed second serve....plopped back by Murray. What does Isner do? Let's it bounce....what a plonker. A sign of the times I'm afraid. Players are so uncomfortable at the net they want even take a gimme on.

Stotty
      Amen.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Amen.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Amen.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Young Klacr would never have let that ball bounce and would have buried it somewhere deep in the stands with no a hope of it ever coming back. That's the way to deal with a shot like that and it always will be...in any era.

Stotty
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Young Klacr would never have let that ball bounce and would have buried it somewhere deep in the stands with no a hope of it ever coming back. That's the way to deal with a shot like that and it always will be...in any era.

Stotty
            Young, middle aged or old klacr would do that! It's a no brainer. granted, klacr at any age would do that from the first point in the match. Then again, I've never played Andy Murray. But I would love to give it a shot.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Young, middle aged or old klacr would do that! It's a no brainer. granted, klacr at any age would do that from the first point in the match. Then again, I've never played Andy Murray. But I would love to give it a shot.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Amen...again.

Tennis metaphoring life. Novak Djokovic replaced as the established number one tennis player in the world by a new number one player...Andy Murray. Please Lord...Thy will be done.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2777 users online. 4 members and 2773 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X