A New Teaching System: The "Imaginary" Modern Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching System: The "Imaginary" Modern Forehand

Would love to discuss my latest article, "A New Teaching System: The 'Imaginary' Modern Forehand"

There is no need to discuss. This article says it all. As a teacher, I find some of the ideas John discusses are so pervasive and counterproductive ( I want to say stupid...) You can't lead a horse to water or an avid internet zealot to great technique but the fact that this site this resource exists helps me have faith in the possible.

Comment

Great Video. This should be required viewing for all students that think they know what they are supposed to do. This clears up many myths and makes things right again in the internet tennis teaching universe.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

I was very happy to hear you tack on that key little phrase, (approx) "if you don't already have it, it is worth taking that wrist/racquet back position." It drives me wild to hear a player complain that the racquet doesn't seem to automatically go into that desirable "lag" position "the way it's supposed to."

If the racquet is taken back with an extreme eastern or a semi-western grip, and if the racquet is initially taken back quite vertical, then the wrist will naturally already be quite fully bent back. As initial torso rotation begins the racquet arm therefore only needs to be externally rotated at the shoulder in order to achieve a "fully laid back" position, As players groove these bits they seem to happen "just from inertia."

It's impossible to learn something until you almost know it already.

I agree. With just the basics done right many pieces fall naturally into place.

Comment

Well done John, well done. Debunking the numerous misconceptions is far overdue. Thank you.
          Looking forward to other segments such as this for the BH, Serve, Volley

Comment

Rich, I will try to meet your expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
              I agree. With just the basics done right many pieces fall naturally into place.
              I couldn't have said it better myself. Teach the fundamentals...the bells and whistles will come when their time is due. Nice lesson...John.

don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Great article, John! Let's all work together to dispel the common and destructive myths of the game!

Comment

Thanks John--your's too. Let's keep going.

Comment

Oh dear, the Kinetic Chain is a shame. Learning something new ever time I visit this site.

Many thanks, John :-)

Comment

chux,
                      It is real at least in a sense of describing the sequence of movements. The problem arises in finding the right positions and activating the so-called chain in the right sequence.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7790 users online. 6 members and 7784 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X