Gardnar Mulloy - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gardnar Mulloy - RIP

Some Sad Tennis news to report from South Florida.

tennis legend Gardnar Mulloy passed away peacefully at his home in Miami Monday night.
    129 National Titles. #1 ranking in numerous age groups, 5 grand slam doubles titles including one at age of 43 Enshrined in 9 Different Hall of Fames, including International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport, RI. Member of 7 Davis Cup teams,, Lawyer, University of Miami Tennis Coach, U.S. Navy World War II Veteran and...Federer fan.

It is not how many years are in a life, it is how much life you had in your years. Gardnar had both.

Condolences to his family. He will be missed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

So glad we were able to bring his stories and material to Tennisplayer... He was almost 101 I think...

Comment

That's sad news. What an amazingly long life. What an amazing man.

Rest in Peace, Gardnar Mulloy.

Stotty
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        So glad we were able to bring his stories and material to Tennisplayer... He was almost 101 I think...
        He passed at 102 years of age

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

A Lesser Known American Icon...

God Bless him. It was great "getting to know him" a bit here on the forum and through his articles. Thanks John. His story could resonate with every red blooded American. What a man. Thanks for the heads up klacr.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Wrote a great book "As It Was".
            Gardnar Mulloy played competitive tennis for 75 years, won senior titles until his late 80s and continued shuffling around local courts well into his 90s. During his illustrious career, Mulloy won five Grand Slam doubles titles, including a Wimbledon crown at age 43. Mulloy rubbed elbows with presidents, royalty, movie stars and the world’s best-known tennis players. He also was a lawyer, the University of Miami tennis coach, an author, and he served in the U.S. Navy in World War II, seeing action in Italy and North Africa.

Comment

Great great obituary. We should know the life stories of exceptional human beings like him before they pass. Wouldn't you kill to have been an observer to his life?

Comment

He told the New York Times in a 2010 interview: “[Federer’s] not only a great player, but he doesn’t overact after he wins.

“After winning a point, these guys will go onto a bunch of emotions, which is an insult to an opponent. I can’t stand the pumping and yelling and look-who-I-am approach. Every picture of a tennis player now has them pumping their arms, with their mouths wide open.’’

He also complained that “They take too much time between points. They bounce the ball a half dozen times, there’s very little net play. I just don’t care for the way they play.’’

Mulloy said his secret to longevity was his healthy lifestyle. In addition to a lifetime of athletics, he was a vegetarian. He avoided sugar, soda, coffee, tea and alcohol. He got tipsy just once in his life, during college, he said."

"He was also an animal lover. In his later years he had five rescue dogs and four rescue cats around his house. In 1982 he mortgaged his home to start Pet Resuce, Inc. on a four-acre lot in Miami Gardens."

We shared many of the same values...Gardner Mulloy and don_budge.
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  Wouldn't you kill to have been an observer to his life?
                  Yes...it would just be a matter of who.

don_budge

Comment

Trump please. (kidding kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      He told the New York Times in a 2010 interview: “[Federer’s] not only a great player, but he doesn’t overact after he wins.

We shared many of the same values...Gardner Mulloy and don_budge.
                      He was right.

And, yes, you both do. A guy who loves dogs just has to be okay.

Back to Federer. Not over celebrating is important. Over celebrating mocks the opponent, disrespects the opponent. How come older generations easily understand this and younger ones simply don't get it at all....they really don't?

Stotty

Stotty

Comment

ATP article on Gardnar Mulloy on his 100th Birthday...RIP

The following are excerpts from the article:

Looking back on a lifetime of memories, Mulloy believes that "Tennis was just as popular in the past, but the sport has completely changed. Prize money has sky rocketed and there are plenty of multi-millionaires. We played for peanuts. Everybody says that the players of today are better than years gone by, but that’s nonsense.
                        Sheer and utter nonsense I might add. -don_budge

"Racquets, tennis balls and equipment development has changed the sport. But tennis ball covering is very thin now. Prior to World War II, the inner core was made of pure grey rubber, but due to the wartime demand for rubber, manufacturers substituted a black synthetic rubber substance and made the core thinner. It made the tennis ball faster in play, and, as we have seen over the past two decades, the number of players going to the net has decreased.

"If former generations – players such as Bill Tilden, Bobby Riggs, Jack Kramer and Rod Laver – competed with the same equipment against the likes of [Rafael] Nadal, [Novak] Djokovic, [Andy] Murray and [Roger] Federer, they would still dominate at every tournament."
                        Amen. -don_budge

"I prefer the older days,” admitted Mulloy, who admires Federer's all-court game. "But you cannot overlook the money today."
                        Federer is the Living Proof. -don_budge

God Bless Gardnar...an American Icon.
                        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          ATP article on Gardnar Mulloy on his 100th Birthday...RIP

God Bless Gardnar...an American Icon.
                          Nice that you can say this considering that he was a political liberal. John McEnroe is too. And Robert DeNiro (I recorded part of RAGING BULL last night).

Shouldn't one think that DeNiro learned how to hit better through imitating Jake LaMotta? He wants to hit Donald Trump, you know. If he did, think what would happen. The rest of Trump's body would become an extension of his hair and he would blow away.
                          Last edited by bottle; 12-04-2016, 06:29 AM.

Comment

So I went on my Ouija board and asked Gardnar Mulloy what he thought.

"Don't try to put words in my mouth," he said. "But I am amused by your image of Robert DeNiro hitting Donald Trump."
                            Last edited by bottle; 12-04-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7895 users online. 8 members and 7887 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X