American Style Serving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Style Serving

Posted this to John in the "Have a question for me" Thread but will put it out in the general forum at the request of several posters. Perhaps some meaningful discussion will ensue.

Its an article based of two distinct serving styles. The Trophy position and what is called "American" style. Read the article and interested in hearing your thoughts.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Interesting... I was just looking at his yesterday, and Florian Meyer seems to be saying the same thing.... Seems to make sense...

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Posted this to John in the "Have a question for me" Thread but will put it out in the general forum at the request of several posters. Perhaps some meaningful discussion will ensue.

Its an article based of two distinct serving styles. The Trophy position and what is called "American" style. Read the article and interested in hearing your thoughts.

http://www.addvantageuspta.com/defau...terID/1698.htm

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      To be honest, I had never heard of the "American" style serve. Has it been covered by Tennisplayer? I have been unable to locate an article on it if it has. Or is it a newly coined term?

With regard to the video Phil posted, it is hard not to getting into that prescribed position at some point along your service motion.

Oddly enough, the biggest amateur server we have ever had at my club has an american style serve as depicted in the article. He is now in his sixties but no one has served faster than he did in his youth.

I am not sure if there is anything in it or not. The author certainly seems convinced in the American style. But then Roger has an amazing serve, doesn't he?. Maybe the best serve in the game in many ways.

I would be very interested in John's take on this...and maybe Brian Gordon's for that matter.

Stotty
      Last edited by stotty; 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM.
      Stotty

Comment

Its an interesting idea. The name may be new, but the idea and technique has been around.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Stotty, Florian is saying that most trophy style servers tend to slow down when reaching it before accelerating again as opposed to accelerating from the earler position he recommends. Seems a similar idea to that in Kyle's article to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
            Stotty, Florian is saying that most trophy style servers tend to slow down when reaching it before accelerating again as opposed to accelerating from the earler position he recommends. Seems a similar idea to that in Kyle's article to me.
            Sure, it's just most player's seem to get into this position anyway. The nice thing for me to see is the flexion in the wrist around that point. I think flexion in the wrist right there is handy.

Stotty
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Its an interesting idea. The name may be new, but the idea and technique has been around.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Reinvention of the wheel. Capitalizing on the reinvention of the game..."the modern game of tennis".
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It is about the pause. Many slow down when reaching the position: Florian says to accelerate through it!

Comment

Doug King, too, I think. He wants one to approach the outside of the ball as part of continued coil i.e. upward arm coil. Then comes what people call hi-5 to get on back of ball. Then comes the famous ISR (internal shoulder rotation which gets strings past inside of ball). Then comes horizontal body turn, which has been purposely delayed. Cartwheel is something else, helping to power things up and press toward net a bit though this shove is less than bod contribution in a powerful ground stroke. Easy to call it all paralysis by analysis and smudge the different katas (parts) together and have a lousy serve. Unfortunately, the interaction of ball and racket is a subtle subject according to anyone and very complicated and for some people words might help. I once watched one of the main teaching pros in Winchester, Virginia, working on his serve. He had been the city open champion but somehow his serve went off. So now he was working on it, specifically on this interaction part. And he never figured it out. And lost the city championship to a lowly commoner. It was time for him to go into Real Estate.
                  Last edited by bottle; 12-02-2016, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Thirty years ago I suggested that the tennis serve would evolve in a similar fashion as the jump serve in volleyball did and I was deemed "nuts". Within the restrictions of the service rules and the problem of being in the air too long, is the jump serve a possibility as a feasible serve? (or am I still nuts).

Comment

By jump serve, I mean someone with a Michael Jordan type leaping ability that is making ball contact fairly close to the middle of their own court.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                        By jump serve, I mean someone with a Michael Jordan type leaping ability that is making ball contact fairly close to the middle of their own court.
                        Check out Brian Battistone...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Not sure why I was signed in as a guest. I logged in and everything. Strange.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                            Doctorhi said "By jump serve, I mean someone with a Michael Jordan type leaping ability that is making ball contact fairly close to the middle of their own court". Battistone is amazing and he must be the closest we have seen to what Doctorhi is suggesting, but he is still only a few inches higher and perhaps a foot further in than servers with big leg thrusts these days. There is still a rule that you can not have a running start, at least I think there is. I have to admit, it would be interesting to see someone like Reilly Opelka at 6' 11" and still growing (could reach 7' 2") adopting a service motion like Brian Battistone's. Hell, I'd just like to see Reilly get a little more core strength and go to the net just a little more. The problem is, with the attitude that going to the net is a no-no, the result of this kind of service motion is just putting the server further out of position in no-man's land.

don

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                              Is it me or is Brian striking the ball as he is coming down from his jump?

Stotty
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7582 users online. 6 members and 7576 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X