Modern Forehand Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Forehand Grip

It's well known that there are differents forehand grips. But I was wondering if the pros use the same grip in every situation. In my case, 4.5 player, I change from a moderate semi western (like Agassi or Nalbandian) to a more extreme grip (like Roddick or Nadal). It depends of the type of shoot I want to do. For example, to a short and low ball I will use an eastern grip (Sampras). Whem hitting ball at shoulders level I will use a more extreme grip.
    The question is: Are the pros thinking about grips or this is an instinctive proccess y which they hit the ball without thinking too much?

You're kidding right? I would be very surprised if that could ever be an effective concept. It's too hard to have one forehand--much less the technical differences of having multiple forehands associated with not just one much left multiple shifts. If I were you I'd try to master a moderate grip and stick with it. You really don't need more than one.

I think that the pros might at times slip a quarter of a bevel or so. But I'm certain that they are not going back and forth form ball to ball or that the shifts are anything remotely like a shift from eastern to extreme semi-western.

I think if they do slip or shift it will tend to stay that way for a while as well-- a few balls or games. If they do it it's certainly not conscious.

The only exception here is going continental for a low slice.

Comment

Perhaps, because of my poor english I didn't explain myself clearly in my last post. I'm sure that at pro level they don't think about changing grips in the middle of a point. The speed of the ball is too high so there is no time for thinking so much. My point is that in some specific shots like a forehand well above shoulder level, a pro player in a automatic process he may adjust his grip to a more comfortable position in order to hit the ball with more power, control...etc. Obviously this process become inconsious after years of practicing tennis.
      Anyway, thanks for your quick answer to that post.

Comment

Yeah it may--or may not--slide a bit, but I think the point is that even if you looked closely on video you wouldn't necessarily start reassigning numbers according to our new grip system.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8057 users online. 5 members and 8052 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X