Roy Emerson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Emerson

only player to have won a career grandslam in both singles and doubles. Hardly anyone talks about him. Here is a slow motion film. Unique style on serve. https://youtu.be/p2pJmrUCeT4

My pal. Emerson is a great guy. Celebrated his birthday just a few weeks ago. I gave him a call to wish him well on his special day as I have been doing since we met and bonded over 4 years ago. He has 28 grand slam titles total (singles and doubles) and 8 Davis Cup titles. That mark will never be beaten by a player again. Many will say there were far better players and that may be the case...but I never met any of them...Roy is a legendary tennis player and a legendary person.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Roy Emerson has been holding a summer tennis camp in a hotel in Gstaad, Switzerland every year, the past 45 yeays. Great, humble guy.

Comment

Emmo and Boy Wonder...Batman and Robin

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        My pal. Emerson is a great guy. Celebrated his birthday just a few weeks ago. I gave him a call to wish him well on his special day as I have been doing since we met and bonded over 4 years ago. He has 28 grand slam titles total (singles and doubles) and 8 Davis Cup titles. That mark will never be beaten by a player again. Many will say there were far better players and that may be the case...but I never met any of them...Roy is a legendary tennis player and a legendary person.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Great that you seized upon the opportunity that presented itself to you. Guys like this in the tennis world only come around once.

Roy Emerson and Rod Laver wrote a tennis book called "Tennis For the Bloody Fun of It"...which is a must read for every tennis teacher to put everything in perspective. One thing about the old Harry Hopman school of tennis from which nearly all of the great Australians were spawned was that they seemed to have a great perspective on tennis and life and how to combine the two. Imagine playing tennis just for the fun of it. This is how it should be approached instead of the current outreach to toddlers and making it a business from day one.

Emerson for his part accumulated all of his Grand Slam trophies as an amateur back in the day when the professionals were not welcome in the Grand Slam events. He is not one of the greatest players of all time with regard to ability. But he just may be one of the greatest of all time in that he made a life of tennis and apparently his ambassadorship is highly regarded world wide.

I love the Australian chapter in tennis. Harry Hopman in the coach of my tennis paradigm if for only because he produced all of these great sportsman and gentlemen who played the game and managed to keep it a game. He encouraged his players to remain amateurs and he more or less had little to do with them if they turned professional. Obviously Emerson must have had a great loyalty to the Hopman team and what more can you say about a man who is loyal. One of the highest of human attributes. That being said...I guess I will read the article now. Or watch the video.

You are a lucky guy Kyle...but more than that you are pretty darned good at what you do is my guess. Luck will get you in the door but you have to back it up if you want to stay in the deal for four years or for life as it appears. Obviously you are not lacking for loyalty to your friends either. Great personal story. God Bless.

don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Emmo and Boy Wonder...Batman and Robin

Great that you seized upon the opportunity that presented itself to you. Guys like this in the tennis world only come around once.

Roy Emerson and Rod Laver wrote a tennis book called "Tennis For the Bloody Fun of It"...which is a must read for every tennis teacher to put everything in perspective. One thing about the old Harry Hopman school of tennis from which nearly all of the great Australians were spawned was that they seemed to have a great perspective on tennis and life and how to combine the two. Imagine playing tennis just for the fun of it. This is how it should be approached instead of the current outreach to toddlers and making it a business from day one.

Emerson for his part accumulated all of his Grand Slam trophies as an amateur back in the day when the professionals were not welcome in the Grand Slam events. He is not one of the greatest players of all time with regard to ability. But he just may be one of the greatest of all time in that he made a life of tennis and apparently his ambassadorship is highly regarded world wide.

I love the Australian chapter in tennis. Harry Hopman in the coach of my tennis paradigm if for only because he produced all of these great sportsman and gentlemen who played the game and managed to keep it a game. He encouraged his players to remain amateurs and he more or less had little to do with them if they turned professional. Obviously Emerson must have had a great loyalty to the Hopman team and what more can you say about a man who is loyal. One of the highest of human attributes. That being said...I guess I will read the article now. Or watch the video.

You are a lucky guy Kyle...but more than that you are pretty darned good at what you do is my guess. Luck will get you in the door but you have to back it up if you want to stay in the deal for four years or for life as it appears. Obviously you are not lacking for loyalty to your friends either. Great personal story. God Bless.

Thanks for the kind words don_budge. I spent 3 years as a coach at the Harry Hopman Tennis Academy at Saddlebrook Resort. The Aussie style rubbed off on me.

Roy knows his stuff. Spending two hours with him across from me at a bar table with dozens of people on each side of us watching in amazement as we tried to stump each other with tennis trivia. Going back and forth, trading questions, facts like two prize fighters trading punches in a main event. One of the most surreal evenings of my life. The 45 other people in the room just became part of the furniture as our minds were squarely focused on each other, no one else. To his credit, Roy stood up well to the barrage of questions, as did I. We both left the fight on our feet with our heads held high and a new fangled respect for one another. We didn't have to say anything to each other after that. We knew it was a special moment in our lives.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9594 users online. 10 members and 9584 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X