When does Federer wrist release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does Federer wrist release?

Lately I've been watching a lot of high speed video of the federer forehand. It seems that sometimes there is a visible wrist release just before contact and other times the wrist is firmly laid back throughout contact. Is there a reason Fed will wrist release on some strokes and not others? Do shots from other players affect this or does he do it randomly to produce different kinds of shots? He seems to wrist release on low balls and keep the wrist firm for service returns?

I think that this has been somewhat misunderstood and definitely over emphasized. The release happens on it's own if the arm and wrist are relaxed.

There is no doubt that there is some wrist movement on some balls either before and/or after contact. It's not just Federer.

This is mainly a function of where the player is and which way the racket is going. If the tip of the racket comes around a little more a little sooner--as in a short angled crosscourt for example, the angle of the wrist can be less at contact.

On an inside out ball the racket tip is traveling forward at more of a diagonal. You won't see the wrist "release" it stays back until well after contact. In fact you can often see the lay back increase as a result of the contact with the ball.

The issue is pretty much irrelevant, and I find many players trying to figure out the micrometers of this movement when they have fundamental technical problems with the rest of their stroke. The wrist release is just about the last thing most players should worry about. Instead focus on trying to get the wrist and arm in the correct hitting position at the start of the forward swing.

Regards,
    John Yandell

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell
      I think that this has been somewhat misunderstood and definitely over emphasized. The release happens on it's own if the arm and wrist are relaxed.

There is no doubt that there is some wrist movement on some balls either before and/or after contact. It's not just Federer.

This is mainly a function of where the player is and which way the racket is going. If the tip of the racket comes around a little more a little sooner--as in a short angled crosscourt for example, the angle of the wrist can be less at contact.

On an inside out ball the racket tip is traveling forward at more of a diagonal. You won't see the wrist "release" it stays back until well after contact. In fact you can often see the lay back increase as a result of the contact with the ball.

The issue is pretty much irrelevant, and I find many players trying to figure out the micrometers of this movement when they have fundamental technical problems with the rest of their stroke. The wrist release is just about the last thing most players should worry about. Instead focus on trying to get the wrist and arm in the correct hitting position at the start of the forward swing.

Regards,
      John Yandell
      Beautiful explanation.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 10872 users online. 7 members and 10865 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X