How World War II Transformed Bobby Riggs and Don Budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How World War II Transformed Bobby Riggs and Don Budge

Let's discuss Tom LeCompte's article, "How World War II Transformed Bobby Riggs and Don Budge"

This series exposes many stories unknown to most players. Many people today don't even remember what world war II even was, which is one problem but I had no idea that Riggs and Budge where stationed together and then what happened. Bravo LeCompte.

Comment

Frankly, I was nonplussed to read the article only to find no discussion of Budge's serious right shoulder muscle tear early in 1943. Budge never fully recovered. The sufficient surgical techniques (which I've experience first hand) were not available in Budge's era. To discuss Rigg's ascent past Budge and attribute it to anything but the loss of power and finesse in Budge's right shoulder seems peculiar.

As for the popularity of tennis among the senior Navy leadership, there is no end. Indeed the only US admiral i came to know somewhat, a pseudo-uncle of mine, a former CA HS champ, was forever arranging, in his years with senior rank, international matches with admirals of rival navies....in which he would obtain, when possible, an excellent ringer as his partner. That was an arms race: they all employed ringers. These matches were more in the DC region, but spanned the era from WWII through the early 90's, and involved San Diego, as well.

Comment

Curiosity. I am impressed. Blame the editor because Tom talks about this. I just took it out. He injured it on an army obstacle course. But I do think from what I have read that conditioning and confidence were the greater factors.

Comment

War changes things. Many things. Changes lives for better and for worse. The butterfly effect. Another great piece from the Author. Keep these coming. Love to hear the history and inside story of these tennis characters.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
            Frankly, I was nonplussed to read the article only to find no discussion of Budge's serious right shoulder muscle tear early in 1943. Budge never fully recovered. The sufficient surgical techniques (which I've experience first hand) were not available in Budge's era. To discuss Rigg's ascent past Budge and attribute it to anything but the loss of power and finesse in Budge's right shoulder seems peculiar.

As for the popularity of tennis among the senior Navy leadership, there is no end. Indeed the only US admiral i came to know somewhat, a pseudo-uncle of mine, a former CA HS champ, was forever arranging, in his years with senior rank, international matches with admirals of rival navies....in which he would obtain, when possible, an excellent ringer as his partner. That was an arms race: they all employed ringers. These matches were more in the DC region, but spanned the era from WWII through the early 90's, and involved San Diego, as well.
            My sentiments exactly. My first reaction...where is the mention of the shoulder injury that The Great Don Budge sustained in the obstacle course. Amen about the surgical procedures. Bobby Riggs is an interesting character but I almost resent this "coming of character" article. Riggs is what you might call the ultimate opportunist.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Curiosity, the Wikipedia article on Don Budge says what you said: his tear in his shoulder never healed and affected hus game.

Comment

Given the editing history, I should point out that I enjoy Tom's articles. I can't admit to lack of bias, either: Don Budge is one of my "history of tennis form" heroes. Since I first saw Riggs play, yes..against BJK, I considered him willing to cheapen the dignity or purity of the game for money. As i read backward into his past it seemed this trait was true from day one. I see no need for others to agree, and I admit Riggs made the most of the talent he had.

Comment

You are probably right about Riggs. But no doubt he passionately loved the game. Just the truth.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9325 users online. 11 members and 9314 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X