Peter's Serves 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Peter,

I haven't chipped in because the advice bobbyswift and tennis_chiro are giving you is excellent and have nothing much to add.

One thing I will say in support of their advice is that if a player is going to do a staggered start like Mardy Fish, then it''s the tossing arm that must go ahead of the racket arm, not he other way around. The idea of this serving model is the racket arm is left playing catch-up.

Generally the better model for club players is to follow is what bobbyswift and tennis_chiro are advocating: Getting the arms working together in synch with good weight transfer.

It's will be tough to override your muscle memory on this one (like simaltaneously trying to pat your head and rub you tummy), but it is doable if you persevere.
    Stotty

Comment

Hi Guys,

Touching my hands together really helped! It changed the synchronization of my arms such that my tossing hand went up much earlier. This also has really helped my toss! In retrospect, I think that leading with the hitting arm caused a jerking motion in the tossing arm before the release of the ball, and this made it very hard to control.

I'm not sure if my shoulders are tilted enough now. I also get the sense that my leg thrust is coming after my racket has dropped a bit from trophy--is that late?

Thanks!

Here's where I am now:

Side view normal speed:

Back view normal speed:

Side view slo-mo:

Back view slo-mo:

Comment

Looks a lot, lot better....better synchronised. Good work..

Now try to rock back at the same time as you commence the swing. At the moment, you rock your weight onto your back foot before you have even initiated the swing. Try to get those two elements working together, then you will be even more synchronised and will have much better weight transfer and rhythm.

This may also help time your leg drive better.

Like these guys:

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...DeuceSide1.mov

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...LevelSide2.mov
        Last edited by stotty; 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

The definite next step that is great advice.

Comment

You also should look at Roger how his left hand comes close to his inner left thigh as he tosses but your toss height rhythm look really good. And back to the initial rock synchronize arms to the rocking motion as Stotty mentions.

Comment

I like Bobby's and Stotty's suggestions. It definitely looks much better. If I had you on my court, I would ask you to try getting your left hand to touch your left thigh at the bottom of the toss action. This will slow your action down just a little bit and allow you to reach into your toss a little better and maybe drop a little lower into a deeper "power drop" position. But you are definitely on a much better track now.

don

Comment

Synchronicity...The Sternum, the Racquet Head and the Tossing Hand

pvchen...interesting that you have your original setup position and then you more or less reset your setup position by shifting your weight backwards into the back foot before going into your motion. You have essentially deleted your initial setup position...which looked to me to be pretty darned good. Notice how when you shift backwards what it does to the position of the ball.

In your initial ready position the ball is actually over the baseline and "into" the court. Personally I would like to see it even more into the court. Notice how after you "reset" your ready position that the ball is actually over the baseline or perhaps even a bit behind it. Then when you end up tossing the ball you start the hand just in front and you end up tossing the ball a bit backwards so the end result is your contact point is directly over the baseline. I emphasize throwing the ball into the court as far as possible.

Look at your footwork as well. The back foot does not make a step towards the target. Practice serving and following through by taking a big quick step towards your target with your back foot.

I don't care for that business of "resetting" your ready position. Start your motion from your initial setup position...leaning somewhat into the court. As the racquet drops the weight begins to transfer backwards at the same speed. When the racquet head drops the tossing hand also drops. This means turning your shoulders...this is what actually transfers the weight. The shoulders square on the drop of the hands and they turn with the lifting of the hands.

tennis_chiro makes a very important point with regard to your ball toss motion. By throwing it up with such a short motion you do not give yourself time to adequately turn your shoulders. So you have complicated a rather simple motion two fold. Number one...the reset of the setup position. So in order to compensate for the inadequate time to turn your shoulders you abbreviate your tossing motion.

The whole body (and soul for that matter) must be engaged with that racquet head. When the racquet head is moving...your sternum should be focused on it. In this manner the entire body must turn with the motion. As far as the forwards motion goes...it is rather lame. Rather tame. It is not very dynamic. This is because all of your vectors are trying to start from a static point and in the wrong position at that. You should be launching that racquet head up and over that ball as if it were a giant beach ball. Contact well within the court...you are making contact directly over the baseline.

I haven't read the comments other than the last by tennis_chiro so if I am repeating the others...EXCUSE ME (Steve Martin voice)!
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

You guys are the best! I can't believe how much you can see just looking at a few sample serves on video.

I tried these suggestions, and it took some time to find the right combination, but it's feeling improved again.

Right now, if I can delay my hitting arm so that my tossing arm goes up early, and get my shoulders turned at the right time, and get the toss in line with my feet, it feels pretty good.

don_budge, I liked your insight of "The shoulders square on the drop of the hands and they turn with the lifting of the hands." I tried this, and really liked facing the net more on the drop, and then turning the shoulders when my hands were both down. Can you elaborate on this timing?

For example, I'm having difficulty finding the right time to turn my shoulders with respect to the tossing arm and hitting arm motion.
                  Does the tossing arm start to go up before you turn your shoulders, as you turn our shoulders, or after you turn your shoulders all the way?
                  Does the shoulder turn happen while the racquet is pointing to the ground, lead the racquet coming up to face the sky, or does the shoulder turn happen while the racquet is up at trophy?

Side view:

Side view slomo:

Comment

The Art of the Distraction...look at my right while doing with my left

What does that mean? Absolutely nothing...unless you are a magician. So look at this video pvchen...it's ABBA. A Swedish pop group from the 70's. My wife is a dead ringer for the blond when she was younger. They used to mistake her for Agnetha in Gothenburg back in the day. A heart of gold.

ABBA is a classic. Withstanding the test of time. Doesn't it make you feel good listening to the innocence. The sincerity. It's what is missing these days.

I digress...to distract you from all of your questions. But please pay attention to how that motion "feels" to you. It has a really good dose of rhythm. It flows...it is the beginning. Just keep practicing...aim at different targets and get a feel for what it "feels" like to take all of the energy of the motion at the target.

The changes you've made this time now need to be etched into your soul and you should practice this over and over until it feels like you own it. I see what you have done...the changes. I am amazed. It is as if you have my brain.

Two things to key on now:

1. When your racquet is at the apex of the backswing and starts to "fall" behind your back it is the moment to start turning towards the ball again. The movement is not like slamming down on the accelerator but a gradual depression of the gas pedal until it is floored at impact.

2. The toss is so good. It is exactly as I described it...probably the others were hitting on this also. Look how you have tossed that ball into the court encouraging you to push and step with that back foot and to "launch" yourself up and into the court at the same time. At the target no less.

tennis_chiro describes the "figure 8" motion...one that I was using in the early and mid 70's about the same time ABBA was taking all of the music world by storm. I was also getting serving lessons from the real Don Budge. The "figure 8" motion will answer those questions you have much simpler than I can describe in the written word.

So listen to the music...hear the beat in your swing. You've really come upon something here...and it shows.

Just one thing. A small thing. Oh...it's always something isn't it?

When you "drop" the racquet head to initiate your swing...drop your whole arm. Look at the shape of your arm in your setup position...hold onto that shape all the way in your backswing. But hold onto it only as tight as you need to to hold that shape. Does that make sense? It's about your grip pressure...you hold onto the racquet and the tension in your forearm is only tight enough to hold onto this shape? It's a pretty relaxed feeling. The entire motion is one of relaxation while trying to accomplish something monumental. The less you try...the better result. The energy is more in the motion than the effort but you must learn to apply the effort...when the racquet head drops behind you.

Keep up the good work!!!
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Huge improvement! Great job.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8252 users online. 3 members and 8249 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X