competition, and two interesting views

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• competition, and two interesting views

Guys, read this article, its really great.

"Paul Maurice is taking a different approach to defensive miscues made by the Winnipeg Jets than he believes Mike Babcock is with the Toronto Maple Leafs. When asked about his team’s struggles in their own end in reference to the youth on his team, Maurice said he wouldn’t use age as an excuse. “The mistakes that I made, I did just a horrible job in relation to my colleague Mike Babcock in selling our age and the mistakes,” Maurice said facetiously Friday. “So, when they've lost a game it's just a wonderful learning experience and they win it's a triumph of character and we have the opposite thing going on here, right. “So, but that's my choice because I don't ever want to walk in to a season to say we aren't here to win the Stanley Cup.” According to The Athletic's James Mirtle, the Winnipeg Jets have the fourth-youngest roster in the NHL with an average age of 26.4, while the Maple Leafs (average age of 26.5) own the sixth-youngest roster. The Jets (28-30-6) currently six points behind the Los Angeles Kings for the second wild-card spot in the Western Conference. The Maple Leafs (28-21-14) are tied with the New York Islanders for the second wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. The two teams split their regular season series, with both games being decided in overtime by a score of 5-4."

I like the approach of Mike Babcock. He's a superb coach, and he knows exactly where his players are in the process to win the Stanley Cup NHL Championship. He's taking it one game at a time, and is being realistic with everyone about the up's and down's of the process.

The Winnipeg coach, Paul Maurice, I don't think he will ever win shit in the NHL with his approach. Its crazy. Realistically, only a handful of teams are going to win, lets face it.

Its funny, I remember a long time ago back in Junior hockey, and another coach was bitching the Mike Babcock coached Moose Jaw team was not the youngest in the league, but, the fourth youngest and he was a con man selling everyone the goods. Funny, but that young Junior coach turned into maybe the best coach the sport has ever produced. The coach who was bitching is selling insurance now and never made it. I remember Babcock was always driving 45 minutes to do a TV interview at 11 pm at night, and talking about how great his young kids were adapting to the new system and getting better - better by the day - he also would always say how great his scouts were, how supportive the billets were and how pleased he was with the progress.

I'm moving into the competition phase right now with my daughter, and thinking a lot about how it needs to be done in a proper manner to serve her interests on and off the court. I think I will listen to every press conference Coach Babcock does, and try and mimick what he is doing.

Its funny how you put away information as you go as a coach - and one day its their ready to be used isn't it just when the time is right.

It's real interesting when you see an ex-NHL hockey player with a son playing - usually they are far in the corner hidden from site chewing on cherry skoal and observing. They all act like this coach.

The interesting thing about coach Babcock is he is very demanding - and asks for a great compete level day in and day out. When you are at that level its usually already there anyways, but, he knows its a process, and I would imagine he is always thinking about taking the gas from 55 to 60 MPH, then 61 to 65 MPH and then 66 to 70 MPH, and focused on short term realistic goals. The other guy (Paul Maurice) wants to go from 55 to Stanley Cup. Won't happen.

Parents would be well advised to act like coach Babcock. Be happy with small steps.
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 03-05-2017, 12:29 AM.

This reminds me of Phil Jackson who suggested that most basketball players matured sometime in their mid to late 20's. I also read a German junior coach who sees the athletic peak of a male tennis player around 24 and for females maybe in the late teens to early 20's. The other thing is to distinguish a phenom from a "normal" player. Unless we have a phenom on our hands, we have to be very patient and just take one step at a time. Similarly with a team there is no way to just get to a final unless we have a phenom on our hands. And even then it can go wrong. Jackson is one of the few coaches who focused on the process of competing much like Pete Carroll in Football. It reminds me of a quote from Fed about the AO this year. He said that he was just focusing on running to get every ball...

Comment

phenoms don't exhist. World class 10, 12, 14 and 16 year olds exhist but all it means is they are good at that age and nothing more. Finlands Patrick Laine is the best rookie in the NHL this season. Not ranked as a NHL prospect at 16. Austin Matthews is the best 19 year old hockey player in the world. At 12 he hadn't played one match ... he played baseball and did hockey skill specific training. At 15 the USA national team did not have him on the radar. Get a good hitting partner for any kid and pull them back down to earth and let em struggle if you think you got talent in your hands! Weaknesses are always there and tend to get exposed when you think any kid is good. Better to have a measured approach to it all.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
        phenoms don't exhist. World class 10, 12, 14 and 16 year olds exhist but all it means is they are good at that age and nothing more. Finlands Patrick Laine is the best rookie in the NHL this season. Not ranked as a NHL prospect at 16. Austin Matthews is the best 19 year old hockey player in the world. At 12 he hadn't played one match ... he played baseball and did hockey skill specific training. At 15 the USA national team did not have him on the radar. Get a good hitting partner for any kid and pull them back down to earth and let em struggle if you think you got talent in your hands! Weaknesses are always there and tend to get exposed when you think any kid is good. Better to have a measured approach to it all.

HS, I don't want to disagree, but merely to encourage a preference for understatement. When he was 14 Kobe moved to my town and started to play for our local public school. He seemed like a phenom at first, and it never stopped. Perhaps Kayla Day is a bit like that, in a smaller world and still-early age.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8532 users online. 7 members and 8525 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X