Miami Open (Itau)...ATP 1000...Miami, Florida...United States of America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Open (Itau)...ATP 1000...Miami, Florida...United States of America

Once again it is Roger Federer in the house. Any questions? Well it seems that there are many. What is the matter with Novak Djokovic? What about Andy Murray? Aren't these two number one and number two in the world? It seems a bit strange that the party down in Miami is going on without these two. But these are strange days. Both of these characters seems to be really struggling to find their form.

Lots of interesting possibilities very early on in this tournament. Right now they are sorting things out in the qualifying rounds.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/score...iami/403/draws

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Once again it is Roger Federer in the house. Any questions? Well it seems that there are many. What is the matter with Novak Djokovic? What about Andy Murray? Aren't these two number one and number two in the world? It seems a bit strange that the party down in Miami is going on without these two. But these are strange days. Both of these characters seems to be really struggling to find their form.

Lots of interesting possibilities very early on in this tournament. Right now they are sorting things out in the qualifying rounds.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/score...iami/403/draws

Wouldn't surprise me if Roger pulls out of Miami. In fact I'm expecting it. Having gone all the way at Indian Wells, I would think it unlikely he will want to attempt the same at Miami. He needs to pace himself. Things have gone better than expected so far and there are bigger things on the near horizon. It's all about preparation, preparation, preparation...as you well know. Over playing now could put the spanner in the works later down the line. Let's see what the great man opts to do.
    Stotty

Comment

The Sunshine State. Beautiful Miami and Key Biscayne. What a lovely place. Its a much different climate than Indian Wells. Sea Level ocean side humidity, suffocating those that are not acclimated to it. Personally I love the sweltering heat, but many players and fans will struggle. Can Roger do the Indian Wells/Miami double? Why not? Who else in this tournament has a chance? Federer in top half of the draw though along with Del Potro, Wawrinka, Alexander Zverev and Berdych. Even though Fed is the #4 seed, all the players know who is the top dog.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

The Acid Test...Roger Federer vs. Francis Tiafoe

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I can't watch Federer and anybody if anybody is nobody. He just carves up the also-rans so easily it's just not too watchable for me. This is why I like to see him play the other three...the other being, well, you know who.

The acid test is yet to come. How will Roger fair against Djokovic or Murray in his current form? I think well, but we'll have to wait and see. It may be some wait because neither Murray nor Djokovic are playing Miami. I am surprised Roger is after his start to the season. The man must be fit. Either that or he feels sorry for the event's organisers since Murray and Djokovic have withdrawn.
        I watched the entire match with Roger Federer playing against a verifiable nobody last night and found it thoroughly...enjoyable. I'm not picking an argument with anybody and I will NEVER say that you are right or wrong. But Roger is riveting. Riveting to watch. The guy is so watchable compared to the rest of the crew. Take Tiafoe for instance. I can't imagine myself watching a match with him playing anybody else other than Roger and his being to hold my attention for more than three or four points. This is how it is with the modern players. I looked in on several other matches yesterday and it was all the same result. I watched for a point or two or three or four and then...done. Am I wrong? Don't you dare.

By watching Roger and as a consequence I got to know Francis Tiafoe a bit and that being said I think that the jury is still out. His father was looking on in the stands and Francis was looking towards him every time he did something of consequence...good or bad. He is going to have to separate himself I think as this kind of dependence is unnecessary. Again...Federer being the gold standard as stroke likes to say (as well as I)...Federer's mind is always on the point directly juxtaposed to his nose. He is always present and accounted for. The Tiafoe serve is ballyhooed for its' speed but the motion is rather convoluted and is going to unravel when he needs it most. Not always mind you...but there are going to times, maybe even just one time in a tournament, when he is going to inexplicably lose the rhythm and it is going south. Then you find yourself on an airplane headed to the next event wondering how you didn't serve out a match when it was on your racquet. So goes the serve so goes the rest of it. If the serve suddenly veers off course then the rest of it can become a train wreck. It only takes a blink of the eye and you are in the hotel packing...while the man with the perfect motion just keeps rolling. That would be Federer.

The Tiafoe forehand? At first glance powerful enough...but a bit unorthodox as well. The backhand...the same? Volleys...nonexistent. So there you have it...loads of natural ability and strength. He looks so powerful he cannot walk properly. But the game has its limitations in the long run. There will be moments of flash...shock and awe. But is it sustainable? Can he be consistent with what he has? A tennis player is like a well oiled machine...unnecessary movements, superfluous motions cause wear and tear. Friction in a word. This is what one means when they refer to potential. It has limitations when the sum of the parts becomes limited and less than the sum because of deficiencies...less that perfect mechanics. This is why training infants to become tennis players has its limitations. The limitations of youth cause large deficiencies as adults. The need for a two handed backhand is high up there on the list...just wait to when they speed the courts up. Question...is Federer the only player that can make Francis Tiafoe look interesting enough to watch for an entire match. Answer...yes.

Waiting patiently in the wings is one huge lurking, lumbering Argentine...Juan Martin Del Potro. Here's another case in point by what I mean by "Roger Federer and anybody". Del Potro on his own plays on his own clock. Is he an interesting player to watch? Moreso that a lot of the professionals because he can challenge the big boys but when push comes to shove...he's a lumbering bore. Huge forehands...yes. But charisma? Not so much. Juan Martin has been in and out of circulation for the past three or four years. Remember that U. S. Open final with Federer way back in 2009? Juan Martin has struggled much with injuries and surgeries. Mostly wrist stuff from what I know. Why wasn't this guy a one-handed backhand player right from the get-go? Another holdout from the junior game I suspect. Federer owns a 15-5 head to head advantage over the lumbering "Jolly Green Argentine".

This is a match that I think Roger will enjoy playing and he seems to be pretty well rested to have a go at it. Plus if he gets by this one the draw seems to open up a bit to a possible rematch in the semifinals with his Swiss comrade...Stan Wawrinka. Geez...if he can get there Stan isn't used to putting out two tournaments in a row so is it possible that Roger could be looking at a Miami Open final to go with his Indian Wells victory. Roger Federer and anybody...that's the ticket. The rest of it is warmed over hash. It serves as a backdrop as to what Federer is doing. All eyes on Fed. Del Potro next...it could be a dogfight.

don_budge

Comment

The Acid Test...Roger Federer vs. Francis Tiafoe

I watched the entire match with Roger Federer playing against a verifiable nobody last night and found it thoroughly...enjoyable. I'm not picking an argument with anybody and I will NEVER say that you are right or wrong. But Roger is riveting. Riveting to watch. The guy is so watchable compared to the rest of the crew. Take Tiafoe for instance. I can't imagine myself watching a match with him playing anybody else other than Roger and his being to hold my attention for more than three or four points. This is how it is with the modern players. I looked in on several other matches yesterday and it was all the same result. I watched for a point or two or three or four and then...done. Am I wrong? Don't you dare.

By watching Roger and as a consequence I got to know Francis Tiafoe a bit and that being said I think that the jury is still out. His father was looking on in the stands and Francis was looking towards him every time he did something of consequence...good or bad. He is going to have to separate himself I think as this kind of dependence is unnecessary. Again...Federer being the gold standard as stroke likes to say (as well as I)...Federer's mind is always on the point directly juxtaposed to his nose. He is always present and accounted for. The Tiafoe serve is ballyhooed for its' speed but the motion is rather convoluted and is going to unravel when he needs it most. Not always mind you...but there are going to times, maybe even just one time in a tournament, when he is going to inexplicably lose the rhythm and it is going south. Then you find yourself on an airplane headed to the next event wondering how you didn't serve out a match when it was on your racquet. So goes the serve so goes the rest of it. If the serve suddenly veers off course then the rest of it can become a train wreck. It only takes a blink of the eye and you are in the hotel packing...while the man with the perfect motion just keeps rolling. That would be Federer.

The Tiafoe forehand? At first glance powerful enough...but a bit unorthodox as well. The backhand...the same? Volleys...nonexistent. So there you have it...loads of natural ability and strength. He looks so powerful he cannot walk properly. But the game has its limitations in the long run. There will be moments of flash...shock and awe. But is it sustainable? Can he be consistent with what he has? A tennis player is like a well oiled machine...unnecessary movements, superfluous motions cause wear and tear. Friction in a word. This is what one means when they refer to potential. It has limitations when the sum of the parts becomes limited and less than the sum because of deficiencies...less that perfect mechanics. This is why training infants to become tennis players has its limitations. The limitations of youth cause large deficiencies as adults. The need for a two handed backhand is high up there on the list...just wait to when they speed the courts up. Question...is Federer the only player that can make Francis Tiafoe look interesting enough to watch for an entire match. Answer...yes.

Waiting patiently in the wings is one huge lurking, lumbering Argentine...Juan Martin Del Potro. Here's another case in point by what I mean by "Roger Federer and anybody". Del Potro on his own plays on his own clock. Is he an interesting player to watch? Moreso that a lot of the professionals because he can challenge the big boys but when push comes to shove...he's a lumbering bore. Huge forehands...yes. But charisma? Not so much. Juan Martin has been in and out of circulation for the past three or four years. Remember that U. S. Open final with Federer way back in 2009? Juan Martin has struggled much with injuries and surgeries. Mostly wrist stuff from what I know. Why wasn't this guy a one-handed backhand player right from the get-go? Another holdout from the junior game I suspect. Federer owns a 15-5 head to head advantage over the lumbering "Jolly Green Argentine".

This is a match that I think Roger will enjoy playing and he seems to be pretty well rested to have a go at it. Plus if he gets by this one the draw seems to open up a bit to a possible rematch in the semifinals with his Swiss comrade...Stan Wawrinka. Geez...if he can get there Stan isn't used to putting out two tournaments in a row so is it possible that Roger could be looking at a Miami Open final to go with his Indian Wells victory. Roger Federer and anybody...that's the ticket. The rest of it is warmed over hash. It serves as a backdrop as to what Federer is doing. All eyes on Fed. Del Potro next...it could be a dogfight.

My son feels the same way....Federer v anybody, which is fine of course. I have no problem with that. Each to their own....readers' choice...whatever floats the boat. That's how I view things, especially on the forum.

A vague colleague of mine viewed the forum recently and found it interesting. So I asked him why not start a thread or do some posting. You know what he said? He said he could only post on a forum like this if he was certain he was right. Well, that just goes to show you how some people think. Being right to him equates to not making a fool of himself. I'll keep working on him....but don't hold out.

Stotty

Comment

My son feels the same way....Federer v anybody, which is fine of course. I have no problem with that. Each to their own....readers' choice...whatever floats the boat. That's how I view things, especially on the forum.

A vague colleague of mine viewed the forum recently and found it interesting. So I asked him why not start a thread or do some posting. You know what he said? He said he could only post on a forum like this if he was certain he was right. Well, that just goes to show you how some people think. Being right to him equates to not making a fool of himself. I'll keep working on him....but don't hold out.

Firmness and clarity but with less certainty that we are right. The best shots then will come when we're not looking.

Comment

The Question About Donald Young...

Here is a real question mark...I refer to the competitive and competence of Donald Young as a tennis player and relative levels of the game. At #51 in the world he is certainly a great tennis player by most standards but the question remains. But a look at his rankings history shows an inconsistency and perhaps a potential to make a move...in the right direction. He had a fine tournament at Indian Wells where he defeated Stefan Kozlov, Sam Querrey and Lucas Pouille. Once again he faced Lucas in Miami and for the second time in a row he sent him packing. Next up for "The Other Donald"...Benoit Paire. Paire is similar to Donald Young in that he shows real flair at times but more often he reveals an inconsistency that betrays any real significant move in the rankings.

Benoit is ranked at #39 in the world so both players stand for a lot to gain with a victory here in the third round of the Miami Open. The winner of the Paire/Young match gets to play the winner of Jeremy Chardy and "Fabulous" Fabio Fognini which further makes the prospects of Donald Young an intriguing possibility. I really would like to see Donald pass this test and see him move to the next round. He needs something of a breakthrough. Something that gives him the confidence to not only believe that he belongs with the top tier of players...but he must know in his heart that he belongs there. He's seen his share of ups and downs so he knows the score. Two wins over Lucas Pouille who is a solid players indicate that he is ready for something to happen.

The question remains...can he make it happen?
              don_budge

Comment

I've always liked your attitude...that includes the world of tennis and being a father, being a son too of that matter. So thanks for your answers to any questions. As for your friend he may feel a little self conscious at first. But the forum isn't for everyone either. They come and they go...that's a thing that I know. But as for being right or wrong...that's an interesting one too. Sometimes it's good to appear a bit foolish at times...it makes it easier to be happy. But nobody likes to be made to look like a fool...that's a whole different story than letting your guard down a bit.
                don_budge

Comment

Odysseus (Ulysses). A Greek name, heroic, meaning to hurt and be hurt. "You eat life or life eats you."-- Tahitian proverb. "If you want to grow up to be a great big man, get a little dirt on your hands."-- New Zealand Maoris.
                  "Stop supporting Donald Trump unless he earns your support."-- bottle.
                  Last edited by bottle; 03-26-2017, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The Question About Donald Young...

Here is a real question mark...I refer to the competitive and competence of Donald Young as a tennis player and relative levels of the game. At #51 in the world he is certainly a great tennis player by most standards but the question remains. But a look at his rankings history shows an inconsistency and perhaps a potential to make a move...in the right direction. He had a fine tournament at Indian Wells where he defeated Stefan Kozlov, Sam Querrey and Lucas Pouille. Once again he faced Lucas in Miami and for the second time in a row he sent him packing. Next up for "The Other Donald"...Benoit Paire. Paire is similar to Donald Young in that he shows real flair at times but more often he reveals an inconsistency that betrays any real significant move in the rankings.

Benoit is ranked at #39 in the world so both players stand for a lot to gain with a victory here in the third round of the Miami Open. The winner of the Paire/Young match gets to play the winner of Jeremy Chardy and "Fabulous" Fabio Fognini which further makes the prospects of Donald Young an intriguing possibility. I really would like to see Donald pass this test and see him move to the next round. He needs something of a breakthrough. Something that gives him the confidence to not only believe that he belongs with the top tier of players...but he must know in his heart that he belongs there. He's seen his share of ups and downs so he knows the score. Two wins over Lucas Pouille who is a solid players indicate that he is ready for something to happen.

The question remains...can he make it happen?
                    I've been waiting for "something" to happen for years. I'm not holding my breath. His game falls into that vortex of vanilla, nothing super special.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                      Odysseus (Ulysses). A Greek name, heroic, meaning to hurt and be hurt. "You eat life or life eats you."-- Tahitian proverb. "If you want to grow up to be a great big man, get a little dirt on your hands."-- New Zealand Maoris.
                      "Stop supporting Donald Trump unless he earns your support."-- bottle.
                      One of my favourites: When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
                      Stotty

Comment

This could well be Roger's toughest match to date. Unlike Wawrinka, the Jolly Green Argentine always shows up to play, an he's probably a better player than Rafa on hard courts right now. The Jolly Green Argentine is afraid of no one, and at 6 and a half feet tall, why should he be? But he's another of these players who likes his legs under him at all costs. Roger often denies such players that luxury.

That said, it could well go to three sets.
                        Stotty

Comment

I see Fognini is a set down. I am going to have to watch this one out because my wife is Italian and Fognini is good looking....swashbuckling with it. My wife won't watch a match unless the guy is good looking or well dressed...preferably both. She refuses to watch Murray.
                          Stotty

Comment

I see Fognini is a set down. I am going to have to watch this one out because my wife is Italian and Fognini is good looking....swashbuckling with it. My wife won't watch a match unless the guy is good looking or well dressed...preferably both. She refuses to watch Murray.
                            Fognini levels to make it one set all. My wife is delighted. The best looking man in the draw is Italian and that's all that matters to her....these things are important. I tell her Fognini plays as fearlessly as the Last Samarai and muse what a sweet ball striker he is. I might as well be talking to the wind. Such subtleties are lost on her. I tell her Fognini often goes the distance in matches, then loses. She assures me he won't this time because she is willing him on...let's see.
                            Stotty

Comment

Fognini pulls through. My wife leaps off the sofa in delight. Who and when is Fognini's next opponent, she asks. I reply an American called Donald Young. She tells me I will have to support Fognini and your American friends on the forum won't like you for that. I told her no one on the forum gives a damn about nationality, it's much more to do with the standalone qualities of the tennis player himself. She said, ''oh...that's nice'.

She wants to know if Fognini can win the tournament. I had to tell her that's doubtful, but to enjoy him while she can. He's not that sort of player, I said....exciting, but not usually the one who ends up holding the trophy. She is convinced he can win the tournament if she supports him and wills him on......hmmm....we'll see about that, I said.
                              Last edited by stotty; 03-26-2017, 01:40 PM.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7601 users online. 5 members and 7596 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X