Fast reflexes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast reflexes

I was wondering how players can react so quickly at the net. I wonder if this does not explain it...The eye sees the ball, and the reaction is taken over by the spinal cord, gaining reaction time... any thoughts?

Pretty cool. But when talking about reflexes I'd rather do this. Fun little drill.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Kyle, I am not talking about how to train it, I was wondering if the reflex comes directly from the spinal cord and not the brain...

Comment

I don't think the potential scenarios are explained. Is the reflex arc (the bypassing of the brain as a shortcut) present only in danger scenarios such as being putting you hand on a hotplate? How important is the visual cue? Would a blind person recoil his hand as quick as a sighted person?

In tennis, does intuition play a part in reflex situations? Experienced players have faster reflexes and more time than less experienced players. This suggests the brain plays the primary role...the telling of what to do. Can tennis reflexes be speeded up? The reflex arc suggests they can't, not really...but if the brain plays the primary role then perhaps they can.

I know zero about the field, but it is interesting to contemplate the scenarios.
        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
          Kyle, I am not talking about how to train it, I was wondering if the reflex comes directly from the spinal cord and not the brain...
          I know. I just needed a reason to show the video.
          Sometimes its best not to know, just let it happen.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

That is what the video implies...

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Pretty cool. But when talking about reflexes I'd rather do this. Fun little drill.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Incredible video. I love the use of both hands on the racquet. Marvelous stuff.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

If you've been trained correctly from an early age, it is almost a reflex arc. If you ask an American kid who played baseball to catch a ball thrown at him, he will reach directly at the ball with the glove. Someone who has been trained to volley correctly wiil reach to the ball with the racket head immediately. If there is time, they will reach a few inches further behind the ball to get more power, but their racket head is basically connected directly to their eyes. But in the case of most of today's players, they are trained to take a shorter backswing for a volley, but a backswing none the less. They take the racket back and then take it forward to the ball. The well trained volleyer of 30 or maybe even just 20 years ago would reach directly behind the oncoming path of the ball, setting the racket face at an angle that would direct the ball forward even as they reached for the ball. That's why you see "ancient" volleyers like Sedgeman routinely volleying so crisply with very little time to react to the ball that has been hit at them.

don

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                  I don't think the potential scenarios are explained. Is the reflex arc (the bypassing of the brain as a shortcut) present only in danger scenarios such as being putting you hand on a hotplate? How important is the visual cue? Would a blind person recoil his hand as quick as a sighted person?

In tennis, does intuition play a part in reflex situations? Experienced players have faster reflexes and more time than less experienced players. This suggests the brain plays the primary role...the telling of what to do. Can tennis reflexes be speeded up? The reflex arc suggests they can't, not really...but if the brain plays the primary role then perhaps they can.

I know zero about the field, but it is interesting to contemplate the scenarios.
                  Blind person will react differently because his arc is going to start with different senses. Reflex arc are developed and can be developed. The way a untrained and trained fighter will react to danger will be different. It's about training, duration and starting age. Reflexes will be used more in shots with less latency period like volleys. Reflexes can even be changed till some extent. As you grow older becomes a little tough to develop them.

Comment

Originally posted by digidoc View Post

Blind person will react differently because his arc is going to start with different senses. Reflex arc are developed and can be developed. The way a untrained and trained fighter will react to danger will be different. It's about training, duration and starting age. Reflexes will be used more in shots with less latency period like volleys. Reflexes can even be changed till some extent. As you grow older becomes a little tough to develop them.
                    I am sure you are right. I know little about the subject but it's fun to have a stab at fathoming things.
                    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                      If you've been trained correctly from an early age, it is almost a reflex arc. If you ask an American kid who played baseball to catch a ball thrown at him, he will reach directly at the ball with the glove. Someone who has been trained to volley correctly wiil reach to the ball with the racket head immediately. If there is time, they will reach a few inches further behind the ball to get more power, but their racket head is basically connected directly to their eyes. But in the case of most of today's players, they are trained to take a shorter backswing for a volley, but a backswing none the less. They take the racket back and then take it forward to the ball. The well trained volleyer of 30 or maybe even just 20 years ago would reach directly behind the oncoming path of the ball, setting the racket face at an angle that would direct the ball forward even as they reached for the ball. That's why you see "ancient" volleyers like Sedgeman routinely volleying so crisply with very little time to react to the ball that has been hit at them.

don
                      Training and reflexes...motor learned processes...they are probably all wrapped in together.

It's great you mention Frank Sedgman who is the ultimate volleyer and probably the best ever. Those volleys are so clean and powerful, yet incredibly effortless and efficient.

Watch the pigeon-toed Sedgman starting at 1:28 on the clip below. Look at the simplicity of his volleying, the perfection of it, the beauty of it. Sedgman is a truly remarkable volleyer.

http://commerce.wazeedigital.com//li...ywords=sedgman
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Training and reflexes...motor learned processes...they are probably all wrapped in together.

It's great you mention Frank Sedgman who is the ultimate volleyer and probably the best ever. Those volleys are so clean and powerful, yet incredibly effortless and efficient.

Watch the pigeon-toed Sedgman starting at 1:28 on the clip below. Look at the simplicity of his volleying, the perfection of it, the beauty of it. Sedgman is a truly remarkable volleyer.

http://commerce.wazeedigital.com//li...ywords=sedgman
                        The volley Sedgeman hits at 1:52 is the perfect example of what I meant.

don

Comment

Did you see the volley Federer hit when Kyrgios hit a cannonball forehand at him?

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post

The volley Sedgeman hits at 1:52 is the perfect example of what I meant.

don
                            The forehand volley on the next point is equally illustrative on your point(s). He is stretched way out of position and does all that he can with it by going directly to the ball with his racquet. Great video Stotty...I know you have posted this before. I had a lot of fun this time using the pause and trying to see in sequence the positions of execution. I am very interested also in what they are doing with the non hitting hand.
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8058 users online. 5 members and 8053 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X