No announcement yet.

Bobby Riggs and Jack Kramer: Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ramanathan Krishnan, the ace Indian player who was offered a three-year contract for $150,000 in 1959 says, “He was a great player, a critic, commentator, and above all, a wonderful human being who cared for fellow players. Open Tennis, as we see today, is the legacy of the great Jack.”"

This comment from Ramanathan Krishna in the article below. Perhaps it wasn't racism that fueled Kramer's dislike for Gonzales. Maybe it was jealousy. Some sort of resentment. Like the Deuce said of Iacocca..."sometimes you just don't like a guy".

It is almost two weeks since Jack Kramer, founder of the ATP, died from soft tissue cancer at his home in Los Angeles at the age of 88. I am surprised not to see numerous articles written about him already here on B/R...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      "Ramanathan Krishnan, the ace Indian player who was offered a three-year contract for $150,000 in 1959 says, “He was a great player, a critic, commentator, and above all, a wonderful human being who cared for fellow players. Open Tennis, as we see today, is the legacy of the great Jack.”"

This comment from Ramanathan Krishna in the article below. Perhaps it wasn't racism that fueled Kramer's dislike for Gonzales. Maybe it was jealousy. Some sort of resentment. Like the Deuce said of Iacocca..."sometimes you just don't like a guy".

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...ificant-figure
      I think jealousy may have been a core reason. I think there is always a reason for disliking someone, sometimes a hard to define one or one that is tough to admit to - but there has to be a reason.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I think jealousy may have been a core reason. I think there is always a reason for disliking someone, sometimes a hard to define one or one that is tough to admit to - but there has to be a reason.

I love this movie coupled with the article...when you blend the two together we get a pretty realistic picture of the "inner Gonzales". He certainly was in touch with himself and true to himself by instinct...self preservation. His inner warrior. There's a wild streak in this humble man and life was going to be on his terms. Whether you or I like it or not. This is the charm of the man...easily misconstrued as some sort of renegade or "lone wolf". The darkness of the exterior and the brooding, simmering personality belie the fact that it was life that was always looking for a fight with him. Not the other way around. But once you see that the cards are stacked against you...once you realize you are playing a game and you don't see a sucker at the table...you know you are it. He decided not to be the unwitting sucker.

This is the "charm" of the man. A rarity nowadays. It's called courage. The belief in yourself so strong that odds of a million to one mean nothing. He stuck with the hand that was dealt him. He stuck to his guns. My dear old tennis coach used to call me "Pancho". My high school coach called me "Cochise". The kids were less affectionate in some instances. I grew up loving John McEnroe. For me Tony Montanna isn't the only bad guy in town or even the worst.

Gonzales wasn't giving too many people a reason to love him. But a few got close. Those that could play it on his terms. Allen Fox. Ray Moore. Jack Kramer? It comes down to chemistry and backgrounds sometimes. Gonzales didn't exactly endear himself to Percy Jones, Jack Kramer and the rest of the Southern California tennis elite. Joke 'em if they can't take a fuck. What did he care? You get tired of a game that is stacked against you. A wild animal in tennis whites. Nobody cut a more striking figure...the dark skin against the virgin white cotton.

I've walked a mile or two in his shoes. Never complain...never explain. Another quote from "The Deuce". Henry Ford II. My father's name is Henry Ford Navarro...named back in 1928 by a couple of Columbian immigrants. Louis and Josephine. Legal immigrants that is. We have our pride.
        Last edited by don_budge; 04-19-2017, 02:13 AM.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Perry Jones was a racist who excluded Richard from the club for many years for transparent reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            Perry Jones was a racist who excluded Richard from the club for many years for transparent reasons.
            My wife is Italian and been a victim of racism. We had a car with Italian registration plates which got vandalised when Italy beat England in a world cup soccer match.

Brexit brought out racism...almost legitimised it in some areas; the core reason for Brexit being immigration control.

Racism is darn ugly when you're on the other end of it.

Read Little Pancho if you get the chance. There are two ways a person might deal with racism as the victim; like Segura or like Gonzales. Segura rode it out with a smile and went with the flow while Gonzales fought it with resentment. Segura was by far the happier man, but it takes a Gonzales to make headway in defeating racism. I can tell you it is extremely interesting to compare the two men in a 'racial' regard. Segura had by far the worst of it, and if he hadn't had gone with the flow he would never, never have made it as a player. Segura is by far the most exceptional player to have made it from a disadvantaged start and the racism he suffered. The man is simply outstanding in every way in my view.
            Stotty

Comment

Stotty,
              Very interesting! I just acquired the rights to publish excerpts from it!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8108 users online. 5 members and 8103 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X