Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Serve and Swinging Volley: Next Revolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HI John. I've seen Federer do it a number of times. If I remember correctly it was inside the service line, which would make sense. Federer's topspin backhand closing shot on the bounce is second to none, so it follows that he would have confidence in the swinging volley as well. In my mind, especially in 2017, he has the best all around one handed backhand in the game. As well as forehand, volley, overhead, serve etc. ha, ha

Comment

Also to add to the slice backhand of Donald Budge. The big difference as I see it is that the players of that generation would also hit a flat backhand or slice backhand as an offensive shot, because the grips were more toward the continental back then. Hence the follow through being similar to the topspin backhand, with hands going the opposite way. Current pros are hitting the slice higher up the back of the ball, and going down straighter to counter balance spin as you said. where as the older pros hit it a bit lower on the ball extending the racket out toward the target more.

Comment

Tim,
        Agreed and agreed. But on the serve and swinging volley--see the animations--Fed can hit with authority between the service line and the baseline--this solves one of the big probs of s and v in modern game--staying ahead on the first volley.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2196 users online. 11 members and 2185 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X