Interactive Forum May 2017: Roger's Backhand Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum May 2017: Roger's Backhand Grip

There has been a lot of discussion about Roger's glorious backhand and it's "improvement" in the 3 wins over Nadal in 2017. As the television statistics show, since switching to the larger frame, he has been able to play closer in and hit the ball harder.

Is it only the racket? There has also been a lot of discussion about whether he changed his grip - maybe he rotated it to a slightly stronger position with some of the hand behind the handle?

Watching him I don't think so. His swing pattern hasn't changed and he is not opening up his torso further as more extreme grip players like Stan Wawrinka do. So out of curiosity I put together some still shots.

Roger has always held his backhand with part of the hand off the handle - and we know he also uses a relatively small grip size. This complicates understanding his grip for sure. But what I see is the same grip before and after. Basically it's what I call a 1 / 1 with the index knuckle and center of the palm on top of the top bevel. (For more on the backhand grips, Click Here.) Imagine putting your palm down on top of the grip and just wrapping the fingers around from there.

Grips are always very hard to see precisely, but see what you think for yourself and post your thoughts.

BEFORE:
    AFTER:

Good question, I agree and think that Federer's backhand is more consistency because he uses much your wrist hyperextended like your coach Lubijic. Before it was more wristy and now with the aid of new racquet it's nice combination.

Comment

great pics John. I agree with you, it looks like the same grip structure to me. I do think this milder type grip helps him in taking the ball so early off the bounce vs a Wawrinka or Gasquet grip structure. He almost uses a "throwing a frisbee" style backhand with his grip vs the early straight arm hitting style that Stan uses.

Comment

Wow! I never appreciated how it's off the handle like this. I wonder if he does this on the serve, and the forehand. I would expect these latter two to be more common, but I wouldn't have expected the backhand.

Comment

I think it's more the consistency of contact point, commitment to drive through it rather than brush it back. His arms are a lot more extended in the follow through especially his left arm. Coupled with the knowledge that he has more power at his disposal and less shanks, it further bolsters his confidence to handle the Nadal spin. His hand-eye coordination is off the charts so if Wawrinka and Djokovic can do it, why not him?

Comment

Not sure the left arm is going back more--that was always amazing but other than that yes--and I think confidence and will were a huge factor.

Comment

There is definitely something different in Roger Federer’s backhand, if not the grip (which is not a precise thing at any given time or shot), then for sure commitment, confidence, and will I think are all big parts of it. But I also think intention is a big part- the intention to play topspin first and looking to play topspin first, rather than backspin, sets up a different set of first movements. I think in the past Federer “could” have been looking first or at least more often for the backspin so his grip would gravitate more to the 2 side first, and his should turn would not be as deep-I think this made him play the topspin a little further back and not get as much extension. Now I think in looking to play the topspin first his grip gravitates to the 1 side more, his shoulder turn is deeper, and there is more extension. https://vimeo.com/218019484
              It would be interesting to see why and how he came to work on and develop this “new look” as we speculate about one of the very best and most versatile backhands of all time that has become truly amazing!

Comment

The photos are inconclusive for me because they are not like-for-like. The before and after grips are not photographed from the same angle. I think Roger's grip change has been slight-ish, but maybe enough to make a fairly big difference.

Try a tiny grip change yourself if you are a one-hander. It only takes a small fraction of a change to make things feel a whole lot different and to open up different shot possibilities.

If you want to change your grip, think in increments, not chunks.
                Stotty

Comment

Hard to say isn't it? If it is a change it's very incremental, but agreed incremental can be huge.

Comment

The pictures are inconclusive. I am pretty certain that there has been an incremental change which also can be a fundamental change. By just barely strengthening the grip on the backhand you enable to hit a higher ball on that side. This fundamentally changes things...in this case it changes things tactically. Technique is not the end in itself...it is a means to the end. One thing I am certain of is the change in the head size of his racquet and I know how that can fundamentally change things.

It's a matter of feeling. How does it feel? Does a "minor" or "slight" change in your grip give you the confidence to step in as to take the ball on the rise? That's a huge step. It's a huge step forwards as far as court position is as well. It's a big difference taking the ball inside the baseline as opposed to two meters behind it. Coupled with the "incremental change in size" with his racquet head the two things are having a synchronistic effect on his ability to drive the backhand. It's night and day...the before and after.

Look...if the change in size of the racquet head is 10% or close to it, what that enables a strengthening change in the grip of 5%? It all adds up doesn't it?

I'm afraid we have to ask Roger...and then we have to hope we get a straight answer.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 05-31-2017, 12:12 AM.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7543 users online. 3 members and 7540 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X