2017 Mercedes Cup...ATP 250...Stuttgart, Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Mercedes Cup...ATP 250...Stuttgart, Germany

So what if it is only an ATP 250 event. The 2017 Mercedes Cup in Stuttgart, Germany has Roger Federer in the draw. Finally. It doesn't matter why he decided to take all that time off. He's counting his steps...to Wimbledon. How does it play out from here to there? We are going to find out.

The French Open? It's fake tennis. Zero net play as usual. Ok...the occasional drop shots. The accidental forays...like accidental tourists. They don't why they ended up there but there they are faced with a volley or an approach shot. What to do. Fake it. The French Open basically sucked. The only match that could have saved the whole thing fizzled when Dominic Thiem went down ever so meekly to Fafa. Two one handed backhands in the finals was the only thing that could have saved a Roger-less affair.

Here he is though. Live and in color. The Living Proof...soon to go Poof. Into the night...the journey into the night. Ferdinand Celine style. He's disappearing little by little from our sight and then we will be left with what. The Next Generation? Good luck with that. I won't be around. The French Open was tough to watch. Virtually zero interest. Which is a shame. It's all a shame. What do the bookies make of it? That what we came up with. That...and Stan Wawrinka cannot hit a forehand down the line if his life depends upon it.

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

Federer seeded number one with a possible meeting with Mischa Zverev in the quarters. Thomas Berdych in the house seeded number three. What? Grigor Dimitrov in the draw seeded number two. What? Just a question...two questions really.

Curious to see what kind of form Roger Federer takes in this Wimby warmup. What's he been up too? What about his preparation? It's all under wraps. Lock and key. It's a secret. A secret secret. Shhhhh...

He's back.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Bring on the Grass!!!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Bring on the Grass!!!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Yes, well, the surface still exists I suppose....unfortunately grass court tennis doesn't.

I wonder where Roger has been tuning up? He's been gone a long portion of the season. I wonder what his practice regime has been during the tournament lay off?

Remember Lendl? He had a grass built in his back yard to practice for Wimbledon. It didn't help. He just couldn't win that darn tournament. The irony is he would have won it today with the modern velcro grass. That's life....

Stotty

Comment

I never thought I would see Roger lose to someone four years older than himself. Tommy Haas, aged 39, knocks out Roger at the first hurdle.
        Stotty

Comment

Bouncey, bouncey...bounce. Federer bounced out of the tournament. I wonder if this was part of the plan.
          don_budge

Comment

Stuttgart title is not going to make or break Federer's career. He had a match point, didn't convert. Haas played well. Thats tennis.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Fun match today between the lefty serve and volleyer Mischa Zverev and lefty serve and volleyer Feliciano Lopez in semis today. 6-7,7-6,7-5 for Lopez. Some backhand slices and plenty of forays into the net.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                Fun match today between the lefty serve and volleyer Mischa Zverev and lefty serve and volleyer Feliciano Lopez in semis today. 6-7,7-6,7-5 for Lopez. Some backhand slices and plenty of forays into the net.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Fun...and way too fast. Not much in the way of the subtle art of manipulation. But it was different from the normal fare that's for certain. The endless mind numbing backcourt rallies that define "modern tennis". I watched the highlights.

Meanwhile over in the Netherlands Misha's little bro was going down in flames to Gilles Muller...another lefty capable playing a bit of serve and volley. Little Brother Zverev's game is exposed as less than complete when it comes to the faster and lower bouncing surfaces. It's a good thing that the courts suit him more often than not. I wonder if he destroyed any racquets in his frustration. A number of times he threatened to in the highlight video but he "controlled" himself.

I wonder if Roger collected an appearance fee for his performance at Stuttgart? Here is that highlight video. The grass is different between Stuttgart and the Netherlands tourney. I wonder if Stuttgart may have been a bit faster.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3178 users online. 6 members and 3172 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X