No announcement yet.

John McEnroe versus Serena Williams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McEnroe versus Serena Williams...

Former tennis great John McEnroe stirred up some controversy recently when he said women's tennis player Serena Williams would be ranked 700th in the | Clips

Ooh...love the topic of discussion. Serena on the men's tour...where she probably genetically belongs. Johnny ain't going to back down...nor should he. What he says is absolutely correct and what a coincidence that he says exactly what I say...let's put the conversation to rest and throw the women into the men's draw. Every man will play a woman in the first round. It will be treated for what it is...a circus. Equal prize money for all!!!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Tuesday, Joe Namath weighed in on John McEnroe's controversial comments about Serena Williams being ranked somewhere around the 700th best tennis player | Clips

Broadway Joe weighs in on the John McEnroe comments. Listen to the audio of what started this controversy.
    don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/...istory-tennis/

Ooh...love the topic of discussion. Serena on the men's tour...where she probably genetically belongs. Johnny ain't going to back down...nor should he. What he says is absolutely correct and what a coincidence that he says exactly what I say...let's put the conversation to rest and throw the women into the men's draw. Every man will play a woman in the first round. It will be treated for what it is...a circus. Equal prize money for all!!!
      What did he say that was offensive or disrespectful? He said she was the greatest female player ever. Period. And on a given day Serena could beat some players. I believe because she’s so incredibly strong mentally. Then said she would be ranked 700 on men's tour (pretty high if you ask me) and McEnroe said he himself may be ranked 1200.

Serena comes back the next day with a tweet chastising McEnroe with
      "Dear John, I adore and respect you but please please keep me out of your statements that are not factually based. I've never played anyone ranked "there" nor do I have time. Respect me and my privacy as I'm trying to have a baby. Good day sir"

First off, what wasn't factually based in McEnroe's comments? He said she is the greatest female player of all time! I think many people agree with that. The 700 ranking was simply a hypothesis. People got so worked up over this, but all those people also have no clue about tennis nor have they ever seen or realize how good someone is who is ranked 700.

I think Serena even knows how much a change men's tennis would be...she was asked about in 2013. Here is what she said...Williams has spoken on the subject in the past. In 2013, the American said she would lose to the current world No1, Britain’s Andy Murray, in “five to six minutesâ€.

“For me, men’s tennis and women’s tennis are completely, almost, two separate sports,†“If I were to play Andy Murray, I would lose 6-0, 6-0 in five to six minutes, maybe 10 minutes. No, it’s true. It’s a completely different sport. The men are a lot faster and they serve harder, they hit harder, it’s just a different game. I love to play women’s tennis. I only want to play girls, because I don’t want to be embarrassed.â€

So why is this such a big deal? Even Serena admitted she could not play the men's game. Anyone remember Karsten Braasch? Williams-Braasch match took place during the 1998 Aussie Open between Braasch and Venus and Serena. Sisters had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager. After Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

There's no controversy here folks. Men's game is different from the women's game. Serena has admitted that. Let's give Serena credit for being a champion in tennis. But let's not get offended when someone that knows tennis (like McEnroe) throws out an arbitrary and IMHO flattering ranking prognostication. Much ado about nothing. The people making the biggest deal out of this seem to be the ones that have never played tennis before, they simply don't know any better.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

"simply don't know any better", which unfortunately seems to be most. I think we all know she could not even win a match on the satellite tour. McEnroe was being flattering putting her at #700 as Kyle said. But her response was vintage Serene.

Comment

here a dope, there a dope, everywhere a dope, dope, eee-eye-ee-yi-o

Comment

Serena Williams versus Dmitry Tursunov (ranked 701)....

I have seen Dmitry Tursunov play live....quite a player....cannot believe he is only ranked 701. And, yes, there would only be one winner.

In my twenties I played regularly with Lisa Gould who made it into the second round of Wimbledon. She lost narrowly in the second round to Peanut Louie, which is a shame because if she had beaten Peanut she would play Navratilova on centre court. I know I am going to come across conceited here, but I never lost to Lisa. We played often and I would usually win quite easily. I can assure you that in the men's game I am barely a blip, virtually nothing. I was once the best player in the club I play and that is about my only claim to pedigree or fame. I mention this story to give perspective and nothing more.

Serena was right first time round. It's two different games...men's and women's tennis. Serena knows it...we all know it. To be fair to Serena, she never brought the subject up, McEnroe did...and others before him.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I have seen Dmitry Tursunov play live....quite a player....cannot believe he is only ranked 701. And, yes, there would only be one winner.

In my twenties I played regularly with Lisa Gould who made it into the second round of Wimbledon. She lost narrowly in the second round to Peanut Louie, which is a shame because if she had beaten Peanut she would play Navratilova on centre court. I know I am going to come across conceited here, but I never lost to Lisa. We played often and I would usually win quite easily. I can assure you that in the men's game I am barely a blip, virtually nothing. I was once the best player in the club I play and that is about my only claim to pedigree or fame. I mention this story to give perspective and nothing more.

Serena was right first time round. It's two different games...men's and women's tennis. Serena knows it...we all know it. To be fair to Serena, she never brought the subject up, McEnroe did...and others before him.
              It's true, but what I keep wondering about is the NEED of a certain wedge of the male populace to keep asserting male tennis dominance. There is a bunch of very insecure males out there who never miss the chance to say they are better. And of course they accuse anybody who pays more deference to the women than that as somehow lacking masculinity. In reality things are just the opposite. It is gentlemen who are most masculine. And when it goes beyond gender-- when it turns out it is the same crass people who can't wait to disparage women who disparage muslims and black persons (and other ethnic groups) and who have all sorts of convoluted excuses for their wretched behavior and are more than ready to slander any who dare to criticize them, you realize these are people on the very fringe of society, who barely-- if at all-- register as members of the human race.

Do I include the president of the United States in this accusation? Of course. And the Breitbart crowd on down or should I say the Breitbart crowd on up since there is no "down" possible lower than the Breitbart (or "brickbat") crowd. If we felt charitable (but I for one certainly don't) , I suppose we could divide that benighted crowd into two groups-- those who throw bombs and those who don't. The salient statistic here is that there are twice as many terrorist attacks from the political right in this country than from muslim-associated groups.

But am I wandering from the topic? I don't think so. And I'm really glad that Bobby Riggs finally got unmanned. He was a great player but truly deserving of his fate. I'm just wondering if maybe all the Breitbart types watching him got unmanned at the same time. Oh well, they can always point out that he beat Margaret Court.
              Last edited by bottle; 06-28-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Good post. You're right, Serena didn't bring the subject up, but with her vagueness in response has created the media spectacle. Perhaps a lesson in PR and She could have come out and said...

"Thank you John for calling me and admitting I'm the greatest female player ever" (which he did) ..."and for giving me the respect of saying I'd be ranked 700 in the world when you have only given yourself a ranking of 1200 (which he also did). "However the men's game is a different animal altogether and although flattering to be compared to the level of those talented athletes, I'd prefer to focus on my current sport as there are many young, exciting players who show great potential and great competition and I look forward to facing them when I return to the tour."

Serena's hitting partners Robbye Poole, and her former one, Sascha Bajin, both of whom I am familiar with (nice guys BTW) are excellent players, yet neither one made any impact on tour. Robbye maxed out around 430 and not even sure Sascha earned a point, yet they both handle Serena with comfort in sets. This is to take nothing away from Serena as these guys would also comfortably handle 99.9% of the rest of the tennis playing population, but simply that Serena knows how wide the gap truly is and yet refuses to let the story fizzle out, as it should. People respect and admire Serena, she has the power to say..."stop". She also has the power to say "thank you" for calling me greatest women's tennis player ever. But instead she claimed his statements were not factually based. ?. Ok, so does she not think she's the best female player ever? Confused. What facts were incorrect about Serena that McEnroe said?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Another pregnant celebrity where she appears nude, leg raised and cupping her breasts. This time it's Serena Williams in Vanity Fair.
                  don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    "Thank you John for calling me and admitting I'm the greatest female player ever" (which he did) ..."and for giving me the respect of saying I'd be ranked 700 in the world when you have only given yourself a ranking of 1200 (which he also did). "However the men's game is a different animal altogether and although flattering to be compared to the level of those talented athletes, I'd prefer to focus on my current sport as there are many young, exciting players who show great potential and great competition and I look forward to facing them when I return to the tour."

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    That's not how my black friends here in Franklin Park, Detroit talk and I'm glad. That sounds more like the mealy-mouthed language of people in Grosse Pointe. (Once you go black you never go back.)

Comment

This is the church lady speaking: Now doesn't this article give its author and readers the chance to feel superior and isn't that cute?

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post

It's true, but what I keep wondering about is the NEED of a certain wedge of the male populace to keep asserting male tennis dominance. There is a bunch of very insecure males out there who never miss the chance to say they are better. And of course they accuse anybody who pays more deference to the women than that as somehow lacking masculinity. In reality things are just the opposite. It is gentlemen who are most masculine. And when it goes beyond gender-- when it turns out it is the same crass people who can't wait to disparage women who disparage muslims and black persons (and other ethnic groups) and who have all sorts of convoluted excuses for their wretched behavior and are more than ready to slander any who dare to criticize them, you realize these are people on the very fringe of society, who barely-- if at all-- register as members of the human race.

Do I include the president of the United States in this accusation? Of course. And the Breitbart crowd on down or should I say the Breitbart crowd on up since there is no "down" possible lower than the Breitbart (or "brickbat") crowd. If we felt charitable (but I for one certainly don't) , I suppose we could divide that benighted crowd into two groups-- those who throw bombs and those who don't. The salient statistic here is that there are twice as many terrorist attacks from the political right in this country than from muslim-associated groups.

But am I wandering from the topic? I don't think so. And I'm really glad that Bobby Riggs finally got unmanned. He was a great player but truly deserving of his fate. I'm just wondering if maybe all the Breitbart types watching him got unmanned at the same time. Oh well, they can always point out that he beat Margaret Court.
                        You're right. Some men simply can't help themselves and simply have to reinforce what is already widely known and tacitly accepted. Some men just have to put the boot in. God knows I've put the boot in often enough myself. It's sexist right to the core.

I have, however, seen physically strong men demean physically weaker men in much the same way, so it isn't just a men versus women thing. Weedy men, and very short men, suffer much the same fate.

Serena's response is irrelevant as she didn't start the fight in the first place. Controversial a character as she is, we must at least give her that.

The media are the savviest of the savvy and know every achilles heel in the joint. The know McEnroe, a former hothead and sexist, is bound to spew something out now and again. Pat Cash, who is not the brightest bulb in the room, is also likely to drop a clanger. Michael Stich is another good lead at times. Sexism grabs headlines and the media lay bait in front of all the known suspects. Ray Moore lost his job over a comment. No one is too big to fall from grace, not even McEnroe.
                        Last edited by stotty; 06-29-2017, 05:16 AM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                          That's not how my black friends here in Franklin Park, Detroit talk and I'm glad. That sounds more like the mealy-mouthed language of people in Grosse Pointe. (Once you go black you never go back.)
                          Serena is not from Grosse Pointe or Franklin Park and neither am I.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            What did he say that was offensive or disrespectful? He said she was the greatest female player ever. Period. And on a given day Serena could beat some players. I believe because she’s so incredibly strong mentally. Then said she would be ranked 700 on men's tour (pretty high if you ask me) and McEnroe said he himself may be ranked 1200.

So why is this such a big deal?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            It isn't a big deal actually. He didn't say anything that is offensive or disrespectful. Just John McEnroe stating the facts in response to some idiots trying to bait him. Charlie Rose being one of the bigger snakes in the swamp that makes up the mainstream media...the Weapon of Mass Deception. Look at the spin on this one. The one gal (is it ok to say she was black?) trying and trying to bait the Great John McEnroe into saying something politically incorrect but being a great Spin Doctor in his own field he went toe to toe and eventually said that he would apologize if it made her feel better. Read if it will "shut you up". Can I say it...what a bitch. Get a life.

Be that as it may. As Van What's His Name on CNN warbled the other day about the Russian fiasco in the media...it's a nothing burger. Absolutely zilch. Looking for sexism...dream on.

But the real interesting comment that McEnroe made was virtually lost on every Feminist Wannabe out there...lost in their noble plans to save the Sisterhood while at the same time they only want your balls...you know...the war on men. Oh yes...but anyways...I digress. The really interesting comment that the Great John McEnroe makes is that if he was playing the tour and it was "three out of five" he ranks himself at #1200. This is astounding! He knows his stuff and if he at 58 years old can play at that level...well it is just very remarkable.

The sexism talk is just garbage. My wife thinks that Johnny Boy had some more devious intentions in lumping the dainty Serena Williams in with the men's tour. As if she should technically should be playing there anyways. Interesting that Serena comes back with "she only wants to play with girls". Boy oh boy...if Johnny had said the same thing you can just imagine how the servants and psychopaths would be trying to spin this. The nut case even brings up some irrelevant crap in that she starts to talk about McEnroe's wife and her input in his character. There is no end to this Feminist Garbage now. Guilt by having a penis is not an option. Reality has left the stadium. I don't know any men that are sexist. Time to push back. Grow a pair fellas.

It's all a trap to get you to say the wrong thing. It's group think and if you don't think and feel like everyone else then it's up to Big Brother. No...I am not buying into it. Everyone is entitled to their feelings.

klacr...you are being the voice of reason. But still there will be wiggle room for the psychopath's to try and split hairs to get the guilty verdict to which I have a standard response. Never mind what it is. It's no big deal. Exactly. Precisely. Just Charlie Rose and crew trying to make themselves important for a fleeting moment. Before night falls.

Big deal? Pure and utter nonsense. Fake news. McEnroe isn't backing down...because he didn't say anything.

don_budge

Comment

You're right. Some men simply can't help themselves and simply have to reinforce what is already widely known and tacitly accepted. Some men just have to put the boot in. God knows I've put the boot in often enough myself. It's sexist right to the core.

I have, however, seen physically strong men demean physically weaker men in much the same way, so it isn't just a men versus women thing. Weedy men, and very short men, suffer much the same fate.

Serena's response is irrelevant as she didn't start the fight in the first place. Controversial a character as she is, we must at least give her that.

The media are the savviest of the savvy and know every achilles heel in the joint. The know McEnroe, a former hothead and sexist, is bound to spew something out now and again. Pat Cash, who is not the brightest bulb in the room, is also likely to drop a clanger. Michael Stich is another good lead at times. Sexism grabs headlines and the media lay bait in front of all the known suspects. Ray Moore lost his job over a comment. No one is too big to fall from grace, not even McEnroe.
                              What are you talking about Stotty? Some men are pigs? Tell us something we don't know. But are women any better? Don't be naive. It's a war on men now. It has nothing to do with the natural order of things. It's all social engineering. McEnroe isn't going to fall. If he does...it means war.
                              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8167 users online. 3 members and 8164 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X