Did Roddick change his backhand grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Roddick change his backhand grip?

It looks like Roddick is hitting his two hander better especially at the US Open, I was watching him hit it and it looked like he shifted his bottom hand more towards 1/8 with the heel pad. The base knuckle probably shifted as well but it's hard to tell in this photo. Did anyone else notice this or am I just hallucinating?

If he made this change was Connors the one who got him to do it? His backhand seemed to have more spin and looked less rigid and stiff. If someone actually got him to change his grip congrats! It was a long time coming, as John pointed out in his Roddick breakdown in a past issue of tennisplayer.
    Last edited by jayfro; 09-10-2006, 05:11 PM.

Kinda looks like it in that photo but hard to tell. From what I know about Jimmy I doubt he is operating at the level of heel pads and bevels. The hands still look awfully far out to me. I think the main thing with Jimbo is that he got Andy to hit the ball--just swing more authoritatively.

Comment

Interview with the Roddicks

I happened to meet Andy Roddicks Family this year in New York and had a memorable conversation with Andy's father in which one part of it went like this:

Me: So, I'm sure many people have asked this, but I always wondered why Andy's never tried to start his backhand with more of a bend in his left elbow, It always looked like he was trying to copy Agassi but just didn't quite get it right.

Mr Roddick: You should of seen that arm before, it used to be even straighter (laughs). Jimmy's been working on that with him, and the grip with the bottom hand.

Most of all it's just having someone around you that has accomplished so much more than (Andy) has. And that that someone belives in you..

A couple days later I spoke with John Roddick (Andy's Brother) about coaching tennis, John's back problems, Family, and yes.. backhand technique.

John said he didn't believe there was any problem with Andy's backhand. That is was "World Class". He said it was more a matter of getting Andy to go down the line earlier than the other guy in the backhand crosscourt rallies. He said it was more a matter of hitting the x's and o's, meaning working the right patterns.

I've watched Andy and John practice together and they hit the backhand almost exactly the same way. I think Andy actually just copied his brother early in his development and thats the way it got stuck.

The next night, I watched Andy have a surreal night of hitting backhand winners down the line against Hewitt. His backhand looked 10 times better than I'd ever seen it before. Totally in control just domination on that wing against a guy who should normally be in control on that side. I couldn't believe it.

I'm probably due an "I told you so" from John Roddick.

Comment

emat,

Interesting to know that Andy is finally listening to someone about that backhand. Getting the grip change will probably be easier than changing his overall swing. John is right the hands are still starting too far out compared to how they should be, but at least the grip change gives him a better chance to hit the ball well. Now if he can just change his swing path to that of the other players he'll really be able to step it up a notch. He definitely needs more of an inside to outside swing on that side.

Sounds like you had a good time talking to some of the family members. Take care.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7958 users online. 17 members and 7941 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X