Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 year old Grand Slam Champion?

Good news for Federer!
    Last edited by gzhpcu; 07-13-2017, 10:45 AM.

A good article and probably true. I tried an ice bath a while back. While it was an horrendous experience, the next day I felt far better than usual after an intensive weekend's work. A sports massage is also immensely helpful. All this stuff is clearly helping athletes last longer in all sports, not just tennis. Poor Ken Rosewall wall probably had a hot bath after his efforts and likely no massage either. Things have moved on big time in that sense.

Lennart Berlin was apparently a excellent masseuse with strong hands. He helped Borg remain in immense shape by kneading out any tight muscle fibres. I imagine this contributed to Borg's success back in a era where such treatments were still in the backwaters.

Players have a huge advantage today. It's good Wimbledon have installed ice baths in the locker rooms for all the players to use. So rich and poor players can benefit equally. That's important. Wimbledon is the first grand slam to install ice baths in their locker rooms I believe.
    Stotty

Comment

Good article. I know both Bill Norris and Brad Gilbert. Bill is based here in Boca Raton and has a very successful physical therapy/treatment business.

Hoping Federer can stay playing and winning grand slams when he is 40. But he said in a recent interview it's totally up to Mirka. When she says "stop", He will hang it up with no qualms. let's hope she never utters those words.

The more I watch Roger play the more I realize just how incredibly deeply beloved he is. In fact, don_budge is right when he says that when Federer leaves it will create a blackhole of sorts in which much of the personality, flair and skills are gone. long gone. I'm optimistic for the future of the game, but it will be shaken to the core when Federer leaves. ATP has to be dreading that day.

I wonder if in 10 years there will be an article about winning a grand slam in your 50's is possible?

What Rosewall did at his age in that era speaks to his old school Hopman inspired fitness, but also his toughness.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Do not worry sbout Mirka. Roger said that it was Mirka after his knee injury who motivated him to keep playing. She was a WTA player. She is not a trophy wife. She manages everything for Roger so that he can concentrate on tennis. She is the power behind the throne. As long as he keeps healthy and wisely selects tournaments with breaks in between, he will go on...

Comment

"Forty three of the top 100 players are 30 years or older, showing that enhanced training and injury prevention programming can have a positive effect on optimal tennis play and longevity."

No doubt injury prevention...or prehabilitation is good for the player and perhaps prolonging careers. But perhaps another reason that there are more players over 30 is because there are fewer younger players. The talent pool is not that deep contrary to what you are led to believe. It isn't only Federer who will be leaving the stadium at some point in the near future...but what about Nadal, Murray and Djokovic. To name just a few.

If there is a Grand Slam Champion of 40 years of age...it won't be saying much for the talent pool. Roger Federer is amazing. It isn't just that he has 35 or 36 years under his belt. It's the miles. So many matches and never seemingly injured. Except when giving his daughters a bath.

Speaking of Mirka...that's a good woman. Lucky guy!
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I agree! I think her own frustration after the injury drove Fed to play better. She is able to live vicariously through him. And he is able to feed off her energy to fight and play harder.

But we all know that will all the miles and everything there is still one thing that Fed has which comes from the almighty:

An almost perfect tennis body. Yes, he trains and all. But his ability to hit fluidly and to do so many things.

It is physical and with gifts like that only one person was really able to make him lose: Nadal.

And that was by keeping him in the backhand corner back when he had the 90.

Federer is gifted. Beyond a prodigy. He can fall back on that time and time again.

Everyone else has to work double to get the same result.

He is able to produce all the power and movement through incredible coordination. Murray, Nadal and Djokovic could train twice as long as him and would never be able to do the same.

In the modern era only Sampras had that kind of talent. But he had anemia and that was what sapped him in the end.

He also used a very small racket and that had to take its toll on his body as well.

All the extra power on Fed's racket has extended his career.

Maybe that is why players are still good as they get older.

Maybe its the rackets and the strings, not just better training and prehabilitation.

Comment

Look at Venus Williams. 37 and in the final.

Comment

Pancho Gonzales aged 41 in Las Vegas beating John Newcombe, Ken Rosewall, Stan Smith, and Arthur Ashe in succession, when they were in their pomp, remains the standout achievement for a 40-plus tennis player. It's not to say Roger won't do something similar, but until he does, I think we better let Pancho have his moment in the sun with that one. It really was an incredible feat.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Speaking of Mirka...that's a good woman. Lucky guy!
                  A woman can be a good woman but only if she stays in the house. Sorry, but that is what I take away from this. And she might have been a good tennis player but just forget that. Because women's tennis is no good. You are FAIR GAME, don_budge!
                  Last edited by bottle; 07-15-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8578 users online. 4 members and 8574 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X