NFL concussion stats ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL concussion stats ...

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), a degenerative brain disease believed to be caused by repeated impacts to the head, was discovered in 99 percent of the brains of deceased NFL players in a recent study.The findings were published in the medical journal JAMA. The brains of 202 former football players (including high school, college, semi-pro, CFL, and NFL) were donated for the study.CTE was diagnosed in 177 of the 202 brains, including 110 of the 111 former NFL players. The study found CTE to be less severe in the brains of former high school players who did not continue to play football in college or the pros.CTE can only be diagnosed with an autopsy. The brains are from players you have never heard of and players, like Ken Stabler, who are in the Hall of Fame https://t.co/yLJ5wlGsxE pic.twitter.com/tL0XnVs3us— The New York Times (@nytimes) July 25, 2017 The study does note a possible bias in that symptoms of CTE, including cognitive, mood and behavioral changes, may have motivated families of the deceased players to donate their brains for study.Therefore, the study notes that it cannot be assumed that CTE is prevalent at the same rates among the entire football-playing population.

Crazy stats! With horrific number like this you really wonder why more kids in the USA are not playing tennis.

I am not sure American football will survive without some major changes. I am sure that CTE is not high on the list of tennis related injuries. But my guess is that more will play baseball and basketball than tennis, unfortunately.

Comment

I've seen substantial stats that indicate baseball is declining in the US; long term downward participation and viewing trend, particularly for the key future demographic (little league age). Soccer (football) has continued it's increase.

The other interesting growing sport is rugby - I don't think it's a coincidence that the concussion issue has become so hot and public as rugby has grown from a relatively fringe sport to virtually mainstream, with many school leagues now in operation....

Comment

Interesting! The US is joining the world of sport. Futbol or Fussball is not the safest but a lot safer than Football. And I saw a poster at a conference many years ago showing that cognitive decline was lower in Rubgy players. Apparently, it has to do with the lack of head to head contact despite the apparent violence of the sport.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8036 users online. 21 members and 8015 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X