Djokovic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic

I had a feeling that Murray, Nadal, and Djokovic would hit the wall of 30 pretty hard. Nadal seems to have revived himself this year. But I still think that his defensive style will lead to injury again. A couple of years ago I had a feeling that Djokovic would fall hard. Yes, he is flexible but the body can only take so much and his game puts stress on his body.

He also seemed to be playing with anger and domination. He had this air of superiority where he was just out to destroy people.

To me this was like going to the dark side. Yes, you can win but negative emotions eventually burn you out.

I have the feeling that he loved the domination and attention more than tennis.

I am not sure he will continue playing if he thinks he cannot dominate anymore.

And with his style of play it will be hard to dominate as he gets older and slows down even a step.

Any thoughts?

Interesting post...thought provoking.

I think when speed and footwork are so absolutely integral to your game, it must be tough to get too far past the 30 barrier. While Roger is probably half a step slower these days, he has taken on a more aggressive style of play to counter that deficit. I am not sure Djokovic has that option.

What motivates Djokovic is hard to pinpoint, but I think you have come the closest of us to answer that. He absolutely loved being top dog and wore the bullseye on his back so well. I think Roger just loves to play and his attitude is probably the best of the Big four. Roger takes defeat well and just moves on. I doubt painful losses eat into him much.

I, too, am skeptical Djokovic will continue top play if the tide turns too much against. I hope he will. I hope he can regain form and challenge for the majors again. He's a 'big match' player like Roger and Rafa and rises to the occasion every time. At his best, he was probably the best of the top four. He beat Roger twice at Wimbledon in the final and leads the other three in head-to-heads....so my son tells me.
    Stotty

Comment

I see Djokovic has announced he is taking the rest of the year off to recover from his elbow injury. He also said he wants to play many years more once he gets back to full health. Still can't see him being able to reinvent his game when he slows up a little like Roger has.

Strange how Djokovic has inspired a generation of players more than Roger. Everyone plays like Djokovic now: return down the middle, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, then one down the line....crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, then sliced backhand drop shot down the line. I swear players are using the inside out forehand less these days and opting to play the ball on the wing it comes in, like Djokovic. Then I guess it's way easier to copy Djokovic than Roger...easier to be a machine than an artist.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I see Djokovic has announced he is taking the rest of the year off to recover from his elbow injury. He also said he wants to play many years more once he gets back to full health. Still can't see him being able to reinvent his game when he slows up a little like Roger has.

Strange how Djokovic has inspired a generation of players more than Roger. Everyone plays like Djokovic now: return down the middle, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, then one down the line....crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, crosscourt backhand, then sliced backhand drop shot down the line. I swear players are using the inside out forehand less these days and opting to play the ball on the wing it comes in, like Djokovic. Then I guess it's way easier to copy Djokovic than Roger...easier to be a machine than an artist.
        Its aways easy being Joe Fan. ATP coaches do a real good job - but the state of the game today is you're watching a lot of minor AAA league talent outside of the top five. The players know it, and the coaches understand it. Its journeyman tennis, and the coaches have to use a KISS strategy of keeping it simple stupid. Dumb it down. Its a tough reality as a player - coach, but, you have to learn to play within yourself on the tour. Running around on the forehand or coming in to volley is a high risk play for most of these guys first and foremost mentally. Players play that style because they can't win being an artist. Its suicide. Roger's talented, everyone else isn't -- lets just face the facts. No one else reads the game better - Federer see's the play in front of him like Gretzky, Mayweather, Ali, OJ Simpson, Tyson, Montana, ETC.

Comment

So you mean that athletes are getting worse. That seems unlikely. Just twenty years ago we had great volleyers and attacking tennis. I really doubt it is the talent. Federer sees the court like Sampras, Becker, Edberg, Mcenroe, Cash... The list goes on.

Of course, a unique talent like him is once in a generation. But there has to be someone in the whole world than can attack well enough to topple the old generation.

If you read braingame tennis (sorry John!), the stats still suggest that less than 50% of the points are won from the baseline.

Nothing has changed except that players think it is safer from the backcourt.

I just wonder what old school coach out there will push his or her kids to come in and attack again.

That has to be a better strategy than the current one.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7759 users online. 3 members and 7756 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X