2017 Coupe Rogers...ATP 1000...Montreal, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Coupe Rogers...ATP 1000...Montreal, Canada

Well...what do you know? It's a tennis tournament and it's a tournament because you know who is playing. Amazing isn't it? Last week there were three ATP tournaments...one in Washington D. C., one in Mexico and one in Austria and not a boo from anybody on the forum about any of it. But Roger Federer is playing in Montreal at the Coupe Rogers this week so finally we have something to talk about since Wimbledon.

Rafael Nadal is seeded number one and Roger Federer is seeded number two. What are the odds that these two will meet in the finals? stroke? Our resident conduit to the bookies. It isn't going to be easy for either of these two aging icons. Nadal is a bit out of his element now when he isn't sliding around on the clay. Federer on the other hand has been unbeatable this year in just about everything he has entered.

Here's the draw just in case anyone is listening...anybody out there?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

A person of interest...Denis Shapovalov. It's probably too early to tell but this kid looks to be the real thing. He's left handed and not afraid of anyone. The serve is already big and will get nothing but bigger. The forehand AND the backhand can be rocked from the backcourt and he got a taste for the net. Keep an eye on "The Kid"...will you please?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Here's the draw just in case anyone is listening...anybody out there?

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

A person of interest...Denis Shapovalov. It's probably too early to tell but this kid looks to be the real thing. He's left handed and not afraid of anyone. The serve is already big and will get nothing but bigger. The forehand AND the backhand can be rocked from the backcourt and he got a taste for the net. Keep an eye on "The Kid"...will you please?
    Stotty's listening...Nadal's half could be interesting early on...Del Potro is there...as is Denis.

Stotty

Comment

Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov.
      don_budge

Comment

Roger at 11/8 clear favorite. Nadal at 3/1. Zverev and Raonic at 10/1. Querrey looks to me like a value bet at 50/1. Denis is 100/1. I as db really like his game.

3rd round could be very interesting if Kyrgios and Zverev both get there.
        Last edited by stroke; 08-08-2017, 04:25 AM.

Comment

It's Roger Federer's birthday today! It should be an international holiday. 36 years young and still kicking ass.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

At 6-3, 4-6, 5-6, 30-40 in the second round at Montreal, the Alexander Zverev officially arrived. No looking back now. If you get a chance to see that point, do it! And then he survived another long match point and dominated the tie-breaker with smart aggressive play, a great backhand down the line and even a nifty approach to the net and a touch volley off a Gasquet backhand.

But he better lose early next week so he gets some rest before the US Open. He's looking just a little impatient. He must be a little tired.

don

Comment

Zverev/Kyrgios next! Gotta see that.

don

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                At 6-3, 4-6, 5-6, 30-40 in the second round at Montreal, the Alexander Zverev officially arrived. No looking back now. If you get a chance to see that point, do it! And then he survived another long match point and dominated the tie-breaker with smart aggressive play, a great backhand down the line and even a nifty approach to the net and a touch volley off a Gasquet backhand.

But he better lose early next week so he gets some rest before the US Open. He's looking just a little impatient. He must be a little tired.

don
                i was watching the match on that point, and I was thinking, what a statement by Zverev. Gasquet really made him earn it, and he did. He looks like he may be the number one player in the world in the next couple of years. He does need to pass on Cincy and make a his best run at US Open.

Comment

It's a Tennis Tournament...Roger Federer in the House

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/score...real/421/draws

It's a tennis tournament alright. For one reason only and it isn't because of Alexander Zverev. It is only because Roger Federer is in the draw. He gives the whole shebang appeal. It appeals to one's artistic sense of tennis with all of the subtleties and variations. Otherwise it is a boring drone and that includes Alexander Zverev. A statement against Richard Gasquet? I don't believe it. I saw the match point and it was Richard Gasquet on fumes...he could barely transport himself to the ball and return forehands with a weak underspin to the middle of the court. If Zverev had any kind of tactical acumen he would have been swarming the net and clipped one of the lovely floating butterflies in mid-flight and really made a statement. His only statement is a drone like mentality...nothing of the interesting tactics that his big brother is employing. Mischa might not be as highly ranked and his future not as bright, but he is infinitely more interesting to watch than the little drone of a brother. I don't think Alexander is very bright...and he is petulant. I wonder about his physique being able to handle best of five sets over the course of two weeks. He will have to prove this as well at some time in the future. His biggest wins have been in meaningless tournaments and it only serves the hype.

Federer, on the other hand generates a vibration around everything that surrounds him. Even against a little know Somebody Polansky he shines like a star among duds. He was frequently on top of the net as a result of his attacking style that carries him forwards...as a result of his proper footwork technique. His momentum carries him forwards with little regard for recovery motions...unless he is obviously playing defense. But in his scheme of things that is going to be as little as possible because whether he knows it or not he is a disciple of Bill Tilden...he is always maintaining pressure on his opponent. Even in the coin toss...his presence is gathering a menacing nature for the other side of the net. He is the cat and he likes to kill the mice...although he is not above toying with them before the kill. In fact...it is all a game to him. He loves every second of it.

Denis "The Menace" Shapovalov managed to dispose of the lumbering Juan Martin Del Potro and Del Potro didn't look all that sharp as the kid had him off balance most of the time. Rarely did Juan Martin get a good look at his forehand...I think the left-handed style of Denis "The Menace" had his lumbering mind a bit confused. Coupled with his questionable ability to move he was in trouble right from the start. Next up for Shapovalov is another potential big feather in his cap...Rafael Nadal. Nadal has a lot to lose here in Montreal. He hasn't looked all that invincible except on the clay and I think Shapovalov must be sensing some real high end drama in front of his national audience. This is the kind of situation that can launch a young man's career. An aging superstar somewhat vulnerable against a new kid trying out his wings. If Shapovalov gets it going on the serve in particular it may be a long night for Nadal. He is afterall just like the rest of us...journeying to the end of the night.

Yeah...Alexander Zverev and Nick Kyrgios. Kyrgios up 2-0 in the head to head department. Two of the most overrated "Next Generation" players that I have ever seen in my life. Zverev has had some wins in rather meaningless situations. He was quoted as discussing that it was Dominic Thiem's and his time to shine. Thiem promptly exited in the first round. Another rather overrated player. Neither play what could be called a all-court game. Nick Kyrgios? Make that about a thousand question marks. He is about as schizoid as they get. You never know who is going to show up. If he came to play every night like he comes to play when it is Roger Federer on the other side of the court I could well imagine and understand the zeal for his future. But as it is he is bored with the game and really hasn't developed a passion for it like my "Living Proof" has. It's a challenge for him to get himself aroused for the various and sundry "Somebodies" on the tour whereas Roger doesn't seem to care. He is taking care of business. I suspect that Kyrgios has a somewhat erratic lifestyle away from the tennis court and it is extremely difficult to keep any level of consistency about him. I could be wrong...but then again I rarely am. I am what you call a great keyboard warrior...as 10splayer likes to say about me.

All eyes on Shapovalov and Federer. The rest of the rest will take care of themselves. One rather big surprise from another lumbering lumberjack Canuck...Milos Raonic takes a dive into oblivion to Adrian Mannarino. Sam Querry is joined by another American in the next round with a couple of nice wins over the French contingent...Jared Donaldson. Carry on.
                  don_budge

Comment

I certainly don't think Zverev will ever do what Fed has done, or what Nadal has done. He is not as good as Fed, the best of all time, or Nadal, and will not win 19 or even 14 majors with 30 Masters titles. It was interesting to me watching the Fed match vs Polansky. Sam Groth came in the booth to do some commentary and mentioned that he had "never seen an athlete in any sport get the crowd support/le Fed gets". He pointed out that Fed got a much bigger ovation coming onto the court in Montreal than the native son Polansky. Fed stands alone by just about any measure. Zverev reminds me of Djokovic with a bigger serve and not quite as good of movement. His bh seems about equal of Djokovic's, which is about as good as it gets for a 2 hander. His forehand is great too, though not as good as Fed or Nadal. Thiem to me is a future French Open winner, but it will always be tough for him on the other surfaces. I think Zverev will get the win over Kyrgios. Zverev's massive work ethic advantage over Nick will really begin to be an overwhelming issue in this matchup. On a side note, I am going to Cincy next week for 2 days Wednesday and Thusday. Those are 2 great days to see, bang for the buck, the round of 32 and 16.
                    Last edited by stroke; 08-10-2017, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to a Federer - Nadal final. They are both playing well.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                        Looking forward to a Federer - Nadal final. They are both playing well.
                        Don't wish too soon. I was hoping for a Roger/Rafa Wimbledon final....look what happened.
                        Last edited by stotty; 08-11-2017, 02:48 AM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Federer not on his A game against Ferrer today but didn't have to be, he found a way. Federer not at his best is still a far better product to watch than vast majority at their best.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

I had never seen Shapovalov play before tonight. His self-confidence, enthusiasm and fearlessness remind me of two other lefty teenagers at the beginning of their career: McEnroe and Nadal. I love the way he hits through the ball. First serve is much better than Nadal's. Likes to go forward. But the mental attitude is what sets the great ones apart. He may have it. Certainly did tonight.

It's getting to be fun to watch tennis matches again.

don

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                              Federer not on his A game against Ferrer today but didn't have to be, he found a way. Federer not at his best is still a far better product to watch than vast majority at their best.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Roger looked terrible in that game in the sense that he seemed not to want to be there. He looked in a bad mood. Maybe he'd had an argument with Mirka just before. Anyway, something wasn't right.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3239 users online. 4 members and 3235 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X