responding to your article germane to the lag and snap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• responding to your article germane to the lag and snap

Hi John ,I am responding to your request, for feedback, germane to your forehand video and the player's quest to incorporate wrist snap into their stroke. It is a great analysis of the stroke . All the elements you present are a complete synthesis of the finished product. I'm in total concert with your presentation .. Incorporating the wrist movement into any stroke will preclude the player from developing any consistency, as it will be impossible to achieve a consistent point of contact , which is the objective on all the strokes. If the point of contact is now a variable , reproducing the same point of contact can never be achieved .I peruse all these articles that have this fascination with this sobriquet "slot position" or whatever appellation they have assigned to this position Curiously, I have wondered why the time has arrived, where the cognoscenti have decided to label this position.. John , do you know this position is not novel? The pioneer of this position was a player from Sweden. Bjorn, was the first popular player to integrate this into his forehand. He was the main topic of conversation after winning Wimbledon in 1976. Tennis had never experienced any previous player executing his forehand with so much topspin . He is well represented on your website. If you scrutinize his forehand from the rear position , you will notice his wrist layback at the drop position and this 'slot position' fully achieved. The other proponent of this position was Vilas. These players were great disciples of this stroke 40 years ago.. I think Vilas may have more lay back than Bjorn .Nobody had ever assigned any moniker to this position previously and only maybe the last five years have they decided to attach a moniker to it .Bjorn was the player who popularized the concept of topspin and he did it to perfection. This position , of course , permitted him to drop the racquet head far under the ballot provide him with his extreme topspin , which was never seen previously .Thanks for your articles John Leon

Leon, Thanks for posting. Check out the other thread on that article!

Comment

According to tennis history, Little Bill Johnston was hitting with a western forehand grip, hitting extreme topspin back in the 1920's. He was one of Big Bill Tilden's main competitors.

Comment

Little Bill himself...

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
          According to tennis history, Little Bill Johnston was hitting with a western forehand grip, hitting extreme topspin back in the 1920's. He was one of Big Bill Tilden's main competitors.

Ecclesiastes 1:4-11

A generation goes, and a generation comes,
          but the earth remains forever.

The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
          and hastens to the place where it rises.

The wind blows to the south
          and goes around to the north;
          around and around goes the wind,
          and on its circuits the wind returns.

All streams run to the sea,
          but the sea is not full;
          to the place where the streams flow,
          there they flow again.

All things are full of weariness;
          a man cannot utter it;
          the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
          nor the ear filled with hearing.

What has been is what will be,
          and what has been done is what will be done,
          and there is nothing new under the sun.

Is there a thing of which it is said,
          “See, this is new”?
          It has been already
          in the ages before us.

There is no remembrance of former things,
          nor will there be any remembrance
          of later things yet to be among those who come after.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun...
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Very good piece, I particularly like how John delved into what Sock is doing. To me, this extreme type of forehand is getting more prevalent. The first I remember is Igor Andreev, who to me had a similar technique to Sock and a massive forehand. Now there is Thiem, Kyrigos, and and up and coming player Khachanov who seem to have this technique. Certainly not as easy on the eye as Federer and Dimitrov, but it is brutal.
            Last edited by stroke; 08-24-2017, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2357 users online. 7 members and 2350 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X