Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Vic Braden video on serve

This was a young Vic Braden...

As you know, Vic loved Roscoe Tanner and Pancho, pretty much the model for his serve teachings

Comment

No trophy position, minimal toss, very little leg action...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        No trophy position, minimal toss, very little leg action...
        Vic had the palm down thing correct, but little else.

Comment

Tennis players tend to be too opinionated. Standard opinion number one: "My way or the highway."

I give a ten to post # 1, a seven to post # 2, a four to post # 3, and a one to post # 4 .

Anybody care to hear the reasoning behind these fierce personal judgments? Nah. Just call them more stupid, hidebound opinion and from bottle this time.

Braden made a lot of films on the serve. These are a little different from some of the others. There is material here for certain servers to value and try or more probably re-try. I think of the huge new population of tennis players with knee replacements. I don't think they should jump up in mid-air.

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post
            Tennis players tend to be too opinionated. Standard opinion number one: "My way or the highway."

I give a ten to post # 1, a seven to post # 2, a four to post # 3, and a one to post # 4 .

Anybody care to hear the reasoning behind these fierce personal judgments? Nah. Just call them more stupid, hidebound opinion and from bottle this time.

Braden made a lot of films on the serve. These are a little different from some of the others. There is material here for certain servers to value and try or more probably re-try. I think of the huge new population of tennis players with knee replacements. I don't think they should jump up in mid-air.
            A one from you is indeed a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

Vic had the palm down thing correct, but little else.
              Good point on the emphasis on the palm down. From the horses mouth:

"The serve is very similar to a ball throw. But most people who have trouble with the serve have trouble throwing a ball. Let’s go threw it. To throw a ball you come back and the hand is down. The palm is down. That’s very important because when you throw a ball the hand must pass between the hand and the head. When you go to serve you want to have the palm down on the serve because the racquet must pass between the hand and the head. So now when you get ready it does this (Vic demonstrates). But if you come back and turn the palm up it will eliminate the loop behind the back because it is impossible to pass the racquet between the hand and the head. So put the palm DOWN on the swing."

I had never been much of a Vic Braden fan until some of his admirer's made themselves heard here on the forum. I remember when this chuckling, chubby self professed tennis guru was making appearances in television spots back in the late sixties and early seventies. I thought he was sort of a joke and his spots were to amuse rather than actually teach.

Ironically...Vic was a tennis teacher for the Toledo parks and recreation way back when and my Aunt Gloria took some lessons down in old Ottawa Park from him. I believe she made have had a little crush on him. They would have made a cute couple. She being short and chubby and full blooded Columbian. Rather vivacious and giggly herself. I will never forget her laugh.

But good point 10splayer...he does get it right on the palm down thing and gives the tennis teacher another line for the student. You must pass the racquet between the hand and the head and you will not be able to make the loop if you don't have the palm down.

Good video gzhpcu...it reminds me of many of your past contributions. You remind me of julian1 in this regard. Vic Braden was the subject of a 23 page thread after an article written by Jeff McCullough called Pathological Losers. It was rather "rip roaring" as a matter of fact and very revealing. A psychological masterpiece.

10splayer...I give your comment a 10. Brief but ever so poignant and to the point...as usual.

don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by bottle View Post

I give post #5 a big fat zero. The nerve to think one has the right. Faux intellectual bigot comes to mind. I don't know anyone on this forum that is more "my way or the highway" than the entity known as "bottle".
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I think Vic was great. Yeah very old school but still very clear and concise. Vic was a fantastic coach in his day. I just watched his vid on the serve and was very impressed. God bless Vic.

Comment

I always liked Vic, his enthusiasm was infectuous.

Comment

Remember this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42STJgl2K4E
                      Tanner's serve is no frills. Difficult to copy.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2300 users online. 8 members and 2292 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X