Crushing the 1hbh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crushing the 1hbh

Watching the quallies and practices the other day, I was struck by how hard Gasquet and Stakhovsky are now hitting the 1hbh - I've seen both these guys play dozens of times in person, and this year looks to me like they have both added substantial pace to the 1hbh. Gasquet seems to be noticeably opening his shoulders more, but I couldn't get any video etc. Anyone else have an opinion on this, anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? (In contrast, looked to me like Mahut's 1hbh was the same as always.)

​​​​

Originally posted by faultsnaces View Post
    Watching the quallies and practices the other day, I was struck by how hard Gasquet and Stakhovsky are now hitting the 1hbh - I've seen both these guys play dozens of times in person, and this year looks to me like they have both added substantial pace to the 1hbh. Gasquet seems to be noticeably opening his shoulders more, but I couldn't get any video etc. Anyone else have an opinion on this, anyone else seeing what I'm seeing? (In contrast, looked to me like Mahut's 1hbh was the same as always.)

​​​​
    faultsnaces...when Roger Federer started cranking up his forehand...most noticeably at the 2017 Australian Open...I wrote that I suspected an incremental grip change. I think that I was pretty much alone in this suspicion which pretty much leads me to believe that my chances of being correct increased.

I suspect as much here if what you claim to have observed is actually the case. The grip is going to dictate how the rest of the body is going to fit on the racquet and therefore the swing. A small grip change can have a pretty big impact on the big picture.

Did you see Sergiy Stakhovsky play Felix Auger-Aliassime? Stakhovsky won 7-6, 6-4. I am interesting in your observations about Auger-Aliassime. I think he may have a bright future in the game.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Yes, that was the Stak match I saw (read later he lost 3rd round). Felix has a great future ahead of him! Based on the first 8 games, really expected him to win the match. But he had a few break points, and he just got a little tight / tentative and couldn't convert. In the 1st set tb, Stak immediately got up a mini break, then a few more - Felix leveled the breaker, but just couldn't close it out. It was really a match that demonstrated how essential the maturity / comfort aspect is; Stak has a lot more experience in all these situations, and that made the difference. Felix has all the shots, a great all court game, but needs that all-important comfort to not get tense on the critical points. He will get there....

You might be right about the grip. Only thing I could tell for sure is that Gasquet in particular was just driving the ball with the 1hbh harder than I've ever seen him drive, and it really looked to me like his shoulders were getting just a bit more open through the finish. His beautiful form now looks to me more powerful as well. Very interested to see how he does....

Comment

faultsnaces...I moved my replay to the above post to the U. S. Open thread. I hope to be hearing from you throughout the contest. Do you anticipate attending more of the Open?
        don_budge

Comment

Oooooh...a great picture of the Roger Federer drive backhand grip. Looks pretty strong to me. Look at where that index knuckle is.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/...n-2017-preview

Did Gasquet follow suit and beef his up? Interesting.
          don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2589 users online. 8 members and 2581 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
          X