Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Big Break

Let's discuss Nick Bollettieri's latest article, "My Big Break!"

So Nick Bollettieri purposely sabotaged customer's racquets strung with gut by spraying water on them? Knowing Nick, that doesn't surprise me. Not meaning to say that in a negative way but the guy always has an angle, an idea, a plan to get the most out of anything, including stringing revenue. He also got the most out of many players. Its part of his charm and the Bollettieri magic. Nick owes much of his success to many people, but when it comes to hard work, devotion to his students and his craft, few go above and beyond like he does day in and day out. The guy truly cares about the sport and the people involved in it.. Good piece, cannot wait to read more.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

I had a kid (aged 14) I coached who went to Nick's academy for an extended vacation. He was a decent prospect who likely would have made a reasonable college player. The kid spent a month there and had one lesson off Nick (which cost a fortune). The parents recorded the lesson and gave me a CD copy. I probably still have it somewhere. He spent the rest of the time training in squads with other kids. All enjoyable. When he returned home, he was chased like mad to go back and they wanted him to spend four years there! The cost would have been around £50,000 a year, so the parents told me. The parents are rich and they could have afforded it but wouldn't let the kid go because he would have to be educated in the US system and those qualifications aren't worth much here. This is not to deride US qualifications, it's just employers over here don't recognise them.

It was a wise move not to go. It's disruptive if a player isn't going to make it, which he wasn't. The kid found girls a few years later and tennis went out of the window. He now has a city job in London and doing well last I heard. He is now 24.

The parents were savvy and could see the academy was as much about business as it was about making tennis players. For a child to make it, at least one of the parents has to be driven and barking mad unless the child comes from a moneyed background....where it's more about choice than sacrifice.
      Stotty

Comment

I get it Stotty.

I grew up on the west coast of Florida and competed with, against and at The Bollettieri academy and their student body. When I was in juniors it was about $60,000 for full boarding. Most of the full boarders were foreign from wealthy families, majority were from middle east. They were good but the real good kids were there on scholarship.

I had the opportunity to move to the Harry Hopman academy at Saddlebrook resort. I preferred it much more than Bradenton at Nick's academy. But at end of the day, I gave faith to my work ethic and respected my parents money enough to not lead them to financial ruin by going to an expensive academy in hopes of earning a college scholarship which for all intents and purposes would have costed my parents more than just going to a college with no scholarship. I did not come from wealth by any means, but my parents worked their asses off and were willing to sacrifice all they had for my future, and just that acknowledgement and intention meant more to be than actually going there.

And as for the education thing, it's not so much an american system of education as it is a nonexistent system of education. Going to school for 3-4 hours a day (when you feel like) is not so much an educational environment as it is glorified babysitting for kids who were on a permanent tennis vacation.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          I get it Stotty.

I grew up on the west coast of Florida and competed with, against and at The Bollettieri academy and their student body. When I was in juniors it was about $60,000 for full boarding. Most of the full boarders were foreign from wealthy families, majority were from middle east. They were good but the real good kids were there on scholarship.

I had the opportunity to move to the Harry Hopman academy at Saddlebrook resort. I preferred it much more than Bradenton at Nick's academy. But at end of the day, I gave faith to my work ethic and respected my parents money enough to not lead them to financial ruin by going to an expensive academy in hopes of earning a college scholarship which for all intents and purposes would have costed my parents more than just going to a college with no scholarship. I did not come from wealth by any means, but my parents worked their asses off and were willing to sacrifice all they had for my future, and just that acknowledgement and intention meant more to be than actually going there.

And as for the education thing, it's not so much an american system of education as it is a nonexistent system of education. Going to school for 3-4 hours a day (when you feel like) is not so much an educational environment as it is glorified babysitting for kids who were on a permanent tennis vacation.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Thanks for sharing.

Over here, at my venue, we have two very good players. One is playing in America, the other has played in Europe but recently gave up trying to make it. Both players are in their early twenties.

The player who recently gave up trying to make the tour has been to various academies in Europe and sought advice and coaching from leading coaches in Europe. His family are rich to the tune of millions.

The other player is financed by his father who has borrowed, remortgaged, and gone out on a limb. The sacrifice and risk thus far has been enormous. The boy tries his guts out but will never make it. I know that for sure.

For one family there has been no risk or sacrifice. It has just been a choice of what to do with their son and how best he might spend his time. Eventually the boy will join the family business and perpetuate the family fortune. The cost of tennis won't even have made the slightest dent in the family fortune.

For the other family, everything is at stake. The father's retirement plans, life savings, and the potential to be left in significant debt are all hanging in the balance. Believe me this is true story taking place right now. The father has spent £350,000 of money he has borrowed. I just know this story will end up a tragedy.

Stotty

Comment

The dream has no reality! Only kids and families who attach too much to it. Nobody actually makes it in pro tennis--20 men and 20 women make real money.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Over here, at my venue, we have two very good players. One is playing in America, the other has played in Europe but recently gave up trying to make it. Both players are in their early twenties.

The player who recently gave up trying to make the tour has been to various academies in Europe and sought advice and coaching from leading coaches in Europe. His family are rich to the tune of millions.

The other player is financed by his father who has borrowed, remortgaged, and gone out on a limb. The sacrifice and risk thus far has been enormous. The boy tries his guts out but will never make it. I know that for sure.

For one family there has been no risk or sacrifice. It has just been a choice of what to do with their son and how best he might spend his time. Eventually the boy will join the family business and perpetuate the family fortune. The cost of tennis won't even have made the slightest dent in the family fortune.

For the other family, everything is at stake. The father's retirement plans, life savings, and the potential to be left in significant debt are all hanging in the balance. Believe me this is true story taking place right now. The father has spent £350,000 of money he has borrowed. I just know this story will end up a tragedy.
              Sad, but this story mimics the many the have come before it and the many that will come after.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Interesting Film review about a tennis flick featuring Nick.
                http://www.indiewire.com/2017/09/lov...17-1201874476/

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Not exactly a flattering review but I can't wait to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                    The dream has no reality! Only kids and families who attach too much to it. Nobody actually makes it in pro tennis--20 men and 20 women make real money.
                    It's a bit of an exclusive club as well. It's been the same 20 or 30 knocking around for the past decade or so it seems like: Tsonga, Berdych, Monfils, Simon, Lopez, Ferrer....etc, etc. Clearly it's not so easy too get a foot in the door.

I researched the living a number of players some time ago. Santoro impressed me the most. He had a career high ranking of 17 in the world but actually spent most of his long career hovering between 35 and 70. He split the tour with over $10 million in prize money. Not bad. He had his head screwed on and exploited the doubles market nicely. He had an injury-free career too as far as I could see. Many other players I looked at didn't do nearly as well as Santoro.

I went on a course a few years back and met an Austrian who spent 7 years trying to cut it as on the pro tour. He had a career high of around 280 (can't remember the exact ranking) and spent time in the 300s as well. He was a decent player but left the tour over $700,000 in debt. Luckily, and remarkably, a sponsor picked up the tab. He now coaches full time in London. It's tough game making it at tennis. Only a mug would gamble their life savings to attempt it.
                    Stotty

Comment

Not exactly a flattering review but I can't wait to see it.
                      yes

Comment

Stotty,
                        But you got to wonder how much Santoro spent in expenses--a third to a half of that $10 mill??

Comment

Stotty,
                          But you got to wonder how much Santoro spent in expenses--a third to a half of that $10 mill??
                          Yes expenses...and then there is taxes. Still, even if he nets a half or even a third of that money it's a lot more than Stotty will likely earn in his lifetime. I am curious if there have even been any studies on tennis player income in the pro ranks and what the expenses really come in at?

Anyone heard from Klacr since Irma? He's a strong lad who probably stood out there and served into that wind just for fun, but all the same it would be nice to know he's okay?
                          Stotty

Comment

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

I am here. I survived what the news said was going to be a Category 5 death blow to Boca Raton. The news was wrong. However, we did receive a rather fierce glancing blow by one of storm bands. Some people in town were without power. I was one of the fortunate few that did not lose power...until The electric company came to assess and repair the damage to the unlucky few and in the process ended up taking out my power!

As for the storm itself, just some heavy sideways rain in brief 30 second spurts with some sustained winds upwards of 80+ MPH. I was outside during some of this, taking it all in, gesturing, posturing and pushing the chest out as far as it would go. Much like a matador inside the bull ring. As a native Floridian (a rare sight nowadays) I have been through these storms for 30+ summers. They don't scare me as much as the people who panic from it and flee. But of course, they are never native Floridians. I am what you would call "Florida Fierce". Stand outside in a hurricane and take it all ion, wrestle an alligator, deal with Miami traffic. They are all rites of passage and make me who I am. Irma was a minor inconvenience, but in no way was she a soul crusher. Other women have come far closer than her.

Stotty, thanks for inquiring about me and thanks to many others, including gzhpcu, John and GC. Your consideration, respect and kindness does not go unnoticed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Stotty, thanks for inquiring about me and thanks to many others, including gzhpcu, John and GC. Your consideration, respect and kindness does not go unnoticed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Glad all is well. It all looked a bit scary my side of the pond.

My mother lives in Maine. It's bloody freezing up there. What amazes me is why so many houses in America are made of wood. If you built a wooden house over here, we would consider it a shed and it wouldn't be worth much. You probably couldn't sell it. We use bricks for ours. They are stronger, last longer, take far less maintenance, and, crucially, don't blow down in a wind.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8345 users online. 3 members and 8342 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X