Laver Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laver Cup

i just can't get excited about it. Lots of hype, just an exhibition circus.

It's tennis! I rather watch Fed, Nadal, Berdych play an exhibition than any of the guys playing in St. Petersburg, Russia or Metz, France this week.
    Plus, in honor of Rod Laver. Although, if you really wanted to make it interesting, to truly honor Rod, they should have players compete with wooden racquets and serve and volley. But I think we all know who would shine in that now don't we? Hopp Schwiiz

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
      i just can't get excited about it. Lots of hype, just an exhibition circus.
      It's unwatchable for the true tennis fan. I guess it appeals to fans who don't play tennis themselves, or kids, or the Asian market...who knows? Do the proceeds go to charity? You'd think Rod would turning his sun bed over this shenanigans if not.
      Stotty

Comment

It's hype for sure. But give them credit for trying to start something and make it appeal to a larger market.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          It's hype for sure. But give them credit for trying to start something and make it appeal to a larger market.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Fair point.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            I thought it was a great format. The topping on the cake? John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg as the coaches. That was really special. Several of my boys came up to me and asked if I had seen Federer and Nadal playing doubles together. Unfortunately all that I saw was Nadal almost beaning Federer as he stole a smash from right in front of "The Maestro".

The team aspect was interesting. I saw only bits and pieces but one match I did see a bit of was Roger Federer and Nick Kyrgios. Kyrgios seems to be on his "better" behavior when he plays against Federer. Sort of like when McEnroe used to be when he was playing Borg. Federer seemed to be relaxed and into it. He let out a couple of yells when he missed some shots.

I think "The Rocket" would have been rather pleased to know that this event was being played in his name. Wasn't he there?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I thought it was great! I watched all the replays. The pros playing on a team. They almost seemed starved to cheer for each other. Like Agassi felt when his dad pulled him out of soccer or when Nadal was told he could only play one sport.

Tennis is a lonely sport. But for one weekend it was not.

Davis cup is boring and should be replaced with something like this.

Playing matches across an entire year is just horrible.

We need a tennis World Cup and if not then just replace it with the Laver Cup.

A great tournament played with players from the whole world, once every four years.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Awesome tie-breaker between Roger Federer and Nick Kyrgios

I thought this was an interesting event. Tennis in a team format. These two guys play a lot of tie-breakers when they play. That semi-final match in Miami was the best two out of three match that I have seen in a long while. Three tie-breakers and nothing but a sliver between the two. The level of pressure that these two apply to each other when they play is phenomenal.

Interesting that when the chip are down...as they certainly were in this tie-breaker it is amazing to see how much Federer relies on his slice backhand. He didn't try to drive any of his serve returns. I don't see the advantage in driving service returns off the backhand side. Priority number one...get the ball in play. Number two...concentrate on the depth...hit it deep or hit it short. Number three...finally take a chance to gain the advantage...if and only if the opportunity presents itself.

don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8274 users online. 3 members and 8271 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X