The "Could Have Beens"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Could Have Beens"

I'm interested in stories of those relatively unknown players, who because of injury, family circumstances, self-destructive behavior, etc., could have been successful at the pro level. My own personal recollection is of two players that entered the University of Texas as freshmen. One was Kevin Curren, who made it to a Wimbledon final and the other, who was as equally talented, went back to South Africa and put in his military service.(I forgot his name). Anyone else got their favorite story?

I have heard many such stories, and personally witnessed two could-have-beens. It's just life. In life, I could have been in a better or worse position if things had or had not gone my way.

The greatest player who ever lived maybe never played tennis. He may have died in an Indian slum some years ago having never had the opportunity to pick up a racket.

I never dwell too much on the could-have-beens. They're just life.
    Last edited by stotty; 10-02-2017, 02:25 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better [nor the man who didn't have the wherewithal to actually play the game, to stay in the ring]. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

-- a very small generalization of a great Roosevelt quote....
      -f

Comment

Which Roosevelt? If I can find it I'll replace this with my finding.
        Last edited by bottle; 10-03-2017, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Theodore. Big on the blood and guts in sports.

Comment

Great responses guys!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8689 users online. 5 members and 8684 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X