The Birth of My Florida Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Birth of My Florida Academy

Let's get your thoughts on Nick Bollettieri's latest article "The Birth of My Florida Academy"

So many great references in this article. The west coast of Florida, where I spent my time growing up and battling on tennis courts from Naples and
    St. Armand's Circle is still the "it" place to be in Sarasota. Great shops and restaurants. Grab a seat outdoors at the Columbia Restaurant and grab yourself a Cuban sandwich, their famous "Columbia salad" prepared table side and a bowl of black bean soup and just people watch. One of my favorite dining experiences. Try it. Thank me later.

Casey Key is a gorgeous 8 mile long ocean front barrier island that has no condos and no businesses, just loaded with magnificent homes. Can't stress "Magnificent" enough. Nick mentions Stephen King and Rosie O'Donnell as residents. Infamous Mobster John Gotti had a home on the key, Oprah Winfrey has a immense estate there as well. One of the best drives you could ever go on.

Longboat Key is another barrier island with some high end clientele, much larger than Casey Key with a handful of business and condos. Sharapova owned a condo there at one time. Not sure if she still does. Great little restaurant there on longboat key called the Blue Dolphin. Tommy Haas was a regular customer when he was training in Bradenton at Nick's academy. Other stars and players frequent there as well.

Aaron Krickstein and Pam Casale-Telford are good friends and colleagues of mine. Both are now directors of tennis at high end country clubs within 10 minutes of my club. They are both great, well adjusted people who run great programs and who can still hit one hell of a groundstroke!

Nick finally came into his own during the late 70's and early 80's. The Florida tennis scene was booming and more and more people were mentioning the name "Bollettieri" like a verb. Coaches at other clubs were trying to compete with his academy by publicly saying that they give their students the "Bollettieri experience" or when a junior player would hit a big forehand during a match in a junior tournament, a coach, player or even the roaming usta official would smirk and say "he/she 'Bollettieri'd that forehand'. You always know when someone reaches rock star status when they only need to be identified by one name. Prince, Sting, Madonna, Cher, Bono, Bollettieri. No full name needed.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Great shops and restaurants. Grab a seat outdoors at the Columbia Restaurant and grab yourself a Cuban sandwich, their famous "Columbia salad" prepared table side and a bowl of black bean soup and just people watch. One of my favorite dining experiences. Try it. Thank me later.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that food is a rather big part of your life.

Stotty

Comment

Love the cuban sandwich...

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that food is a rather big part of your life.
          Grew up in restaurant biz. Big fan of fine dining, hole in the wall gems, fresh ingredients and even great home cooking. Some fortunate souls on this forum have experienced my love for it first hand. Some truly special places in this world that I've been fortunate enough to dine at and special people to dine with.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Damn!

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
              Nick finally came into his own during the late 70's and early 80's. The Florida tennis scene was booming and more and more people were mentioning the name "Bollettieri" like a verb.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Nick Bowl-of-Cherries.

don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7986 users online. 2 members and 7984 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X