Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum November 2017: Fabio Fognini Forehand

Fabio Fognini Forehand

His on court behavior has often been abhorrent, but his forehand is effortless and compact, and an interesting combination of technical elements. It's about as far away as you can get from Madison Keys, whose forehand we featured last month. (Click Here.) In some ways it's similar to Fernando Verdasco's forehand which is now in our High Speed Archives. (Click Here.)

Like Verdasco, Fognini has a strong unit turn, and a true ATP backswing with the hitting arm and racket staying on his right side. But unlike Verdasco, who hits with a straight arm, Fognini's hitting arm structure is a double bend. I love the spacing of his hitting arm from his body, despite his strong semi-western grip.

In some ways this may be the best "modern" model for many players. Not everyone is destined for a straight arm forehand...Anyone else amazed at the technical variations that we see in the top players?

Fabio Fognini Forehand

Comment

I certainly agree John. Just as Agassi was a great model(and still is), I think Fabio is a latter day model of the highest quality. As you say, the double bend is probably more doable for most than the Federer/Verdasco model. I cannot hard;y think of another player(other than maybe Fed and Verdasco) that get such explosive power with such an efficient, seemingly effortless type 3 fh technique.

To me, there is one more player who has this brutally efficient fh technique and he is the unlikeable Bernard Tomic. I know this is outside the box thinking on Tomic, but to me, when he occasionally wants to, his fh is similarly efficient and explosive to Fabio.

Last edited by stroke; 11-02-2017, 07:17 AM.

Comment

It's a terrific forehand. I have watched Fognini many times at Wimbledon. I always make a beeline to his court. I know he's not a favourite with most on the forum, but he is with Stotty. I like his cavalier game style. His forehand is so compact and sweetly struck. It's one of the wonders of the game. Typically, he often has a higher finish than Roger, sometimes finishing with the racket over the shoulder...why is that?

Fognini is good to watch on grass. He hugs the baseline and doesn't retreat too much, which is where his compact backswing comes in so handy.

One other thing Verdasco and Fognini have in common is they have their entire hand on the grip, with close to nothing hanging over the edge.
        Last edited by stotty; 11-02-2017, 03:24 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

If I understand Brian Gordon correctly, a possible explanation for Fognini's higher finish is with the double-bend FH. With the double-bend FH, you may have to lift more from the shoulder to get more spin on the shot. As opposed with the straight arm FH, the shoulder is turbo charged more which allows for greater internal rotation (one of the fastest movements in the body), allowing more vertical racquet head speed, thus spin.

Comment

Fognini is fun to watch. He is such a minimalist when he plays. His posture is so upright on all of his shots and his head stays so quiet. it doesn't seem like he uses his legs on his shot production as much as other players. He rarely leaves the ground when he hits. It seems he gets his power on his forehand with his incredible timing of the forehand flip and full unit turn. Do you think his grip is more western than semi western?
            I haven't looked at video on Tomic, but he seems to get his power with more of a flat ball and using his opponents power, compared to Fognini who seems to generate his own power.

Comment

It's a great looking forehand. It has the 5 keys to great technique
              Simple, Efficient, Effective, Flexible/versatile, Compatible.

Not a Fognini fan, mostly based on his behavior. But honestly, I never tire of watching him play and strike the ball.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Stotty brings up a very good point ("One other thing Verdasco and Fognini have in common is they have their entire hand on the grip, with close to nothing hanging over the edge." ) I've also noticed that the great players do NOT have the entire hand on the grip. I believe that is why players like Fognini and Verdasco will never be great. There technique is prohibiting them from truly competing with Fed and Raf.

Comment

Originally posted by rodvic2 View Post
                  Stotty brings up a very good point ("One other thing Verdasco and Fognini have in common is they have their entire hand on the grip, with close to nothing hanging over the edge." ) I've also noticed that the great players do NOT have the entire hand on the grip. I believe that is why players like Fognini and Verdasco will never be great. There technique is prohibiting them from truly competing with Fed and Raf.
                  Most players have their hand hanging off the edge of the grip to some degree. But I don't think it has too much technical relevance. Both Verdasco and Fognini hit their forehands pretty much as well as anyone. I have the whole my hand on the grip. I actually find it advantageous, particularly on the forehand volley.

I actually think Verdasco has the perfect forehand grip...the best on the tour.
                  Last edited by stotty; 11-07-2017, 12:55 AM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Do you have his rpms or avg Fh mph?

Comment

I do not--would like to!

Comment

Stotty, I used to have my whole hand the grip until a tennis instructor told me that this was incorrect. I now have at least one finger hanging off the edge. I feel like I have more power hitting this way. I also noticed that I know longer get pain in my wrist hitting with my had off the edge. I've noticed all the players who have had wrist problems(Connors, Del Po) hit with their whole hand on the grip. It now looks strange to me to have the whole hand on the grip. I feel like it is limiting the power you can generate because you can't add that extra whip that Nadal or Fed does with their forehands.

Comment

rodvic, you are also effectively lengthening the racket--which can automatically add a little power

Comment

Originally posted by teachestennis View Post
                            Do you have his rpms or avg Fh mph?
                            Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                            I do not--would like to!
                            These velocity and RPM stats were recorded on hard courts in matches played between 2009 and 2010. Another interesting observation was cross court forehands were hit harder than forehands hit down the line.

PLAYER Avg. Ball Velocity (metre/second) Avg. RPMs
                            Roger Federer 33.8 2350
                            Rafa Nadal 39.6 2680
                            Novak Djokovic 34.9 2550
                            Andy Murray 31.1 2590
                            Last edited by stotty; 11-09-2017, 02:08 PM.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

These velocity and RPM stats were recorded on hard courts in matches played between 2009 and 2010. Another interesting observation was cross court forehands were hit harder than forehands hit down the line.
                              PLAYER Avg. Ball Velocity (metre/second) Avg. RPMs
                              Roger Federer 33.8 2350
                              Rafa Nadal 39.6 2680
                              Novak Djokovic 34.9 2550
                              Andy Murray 31.1 2590

Roger Federer's stats were pre racquet switch. I wonder if they have changed since he switched to the slightly larger head.
                              don_budge
                              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8011 users online. 3 members and 8008 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X