Match play, job interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match play, job interviews

Match play, job interviews…test taking, first dates, and other “nervous” “big day” situations.

Here’s an analogy for you.

Performing under the pressure of a result, is a skill that must be practiced.

I’m sure you’ve all seen the player who looks incredible in practice but who just can’t swing freely in the match and looses to opponents whom “look” inferior.

Perhaps you were one of those players… I know I was and still at times am.

Being able to handle your emotions in tournament play is a skill that needs to be practiced.

The only way to practice handling nerves in a match is to put yourself in that situation frequently before your “big day”.

I remember once when I was interviewing for jobs prior to starting my coaching career. The nerves were always the worst on that first interview after not having done an interview in a while. Sweaty palms/ underarms, butterflies in the stomach and general anxiety could paralyze me.

As I did more interviews though, the “nervous feelings” went away.

However, after a long break of steady employment, that same skill to ,“stay cool under fire” needed to be worked on again. You could use the analogies of job interviews, first dates, Exams all interchangeably here.

In essence, just like any other skills “if you don’t use it you’ll lose it”

I’m bringing this up because one of my most skilled junior players is now breaking thru because of finally getting enough practice at “swinging thru the nerves” and it’s a beautiful thing to watch.

Where he would “push” before… he now goes for the winner and because he had the technique all along it’s a great shot.

The only real difference lately has been in the increase in match play (technique was emphasized heavily for the last years) and making sure that he doesn’t push during matches. I always de-emphasise wins and losses, it’s always about what did you do that you were proud of under pressure.

Realize though the increasing match play before excellent technique is established, can do disastrous and possibly irreversible damage to a players game.

More on this in the “high performance” forum.

Does anyone have a similar story or perhaps another view on this?

Background: returning to game after many years away. Played at a hi level and have had no recent match play experience

Upon returning to the game and ironing out stokes thanks to this site I have retuend to match play. My biggest shortcomming at the moment is a fear of losing to lesser opponents and as a result not going for my shots. Guess I still have some old clips in my mind that make me beleive I can play the game. Any advice?????

Comment

I think this still goes back to the same old "process focus" versus "result focus".

Don't judge yourself on whether you win the point or not.

Set up the condition in your mind that you will be proud of yourself if you "go for it" and extremely angry if you hold back, (even if you win the point).

Playing "lesser" players is difficult in that they encourage you to "hold back" because you can beat them playing it safe yet at the same time you fear the damage to your ego more because your the favorite. When an underdog is "zoning" it is particularly scary.

Dealing with this situation is important to a players development. You must get tough to handle the situation as it is the most nerve evoking playing situation.

The favorite usually pushes (plays too safe) thinking that the underdog will give it away. (This might happen).

But the underdog is highly motivated and frequently will play great because of this.

It's the favorites job to "step it up" and show the underdog who's boss when the underdog rises to the occasion.

Reallize that the underdog can't sustain his high level for a whole match, so it's the favorites job to make the underdog hit lots of shots and not to give him anything for free.

Much more on this topic can be found in Chuck Kriese's "Coaching Tennis". It's really got great stuff on this topic.

Also remember:

"Chickens don't win, they just get eaten". Heath Waters

Eric

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2600 users online. 6 members and 2594 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X