Avoiding injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding injuries

It would be interesting to have a biomechanical expert on the staff address movements that avoid injuries in some future article.

Examples:

- Brian Gordon mentioned bending the elbow after impact on the serve

The answer is a mechanism identified for baseball pitchers some years ago at the Indiana University Biomechanics lab - it holds here also - by combining upper arm arm internal rotation with a rapid elbow flexion immediately post contact, the extreme bone on bone force encountered at the end of the strong elbow extension can be minimized - try it, it is very effective - perhaps if I'd had that knowledge in my competiton days I would not have broken off a large part of my olecranon process - for which the removal surgery was quite gruesome according to the Orthopod - in short, the extension/flexion mechanism is a sound safety factor required (but not necessarily used) for those who use extreme elbow extension on the serve (which should be everyone)
    - Eric has come up with the rotor cuff thread for the kick serve (having the upper arm more or less in line with the shoulders)
    - bending your legs more to avoid bending your back too much on the serve

Phil,

I'd like to see an article on injury prevention thru technique adjustment as well.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2396 users online. 9 members and 2387 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X