Nadal-Berdych

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nadal-Berdych

Nadal has his nerve, telling Berdych "You are a bad person." after Berdych withstood him and the Madrid crowd in yesterday's quarterfinal match.

I watched this match twice to see what went on. First, I saw Berdych with an attitude Federer needs when playing Nadal, almost Connors like in his me against the crowd. But I did not see him do anything out of line. He did imitate (mock) Nadal's running jump after a great shot to set up match point, but Nadal had just done this two points before when he set up set point.

And, is not Nadal's act wearing thin, starting with the bravado at the coin flip. This is not boxing or wrestling. Then the sprint to the baseline. Give me a break. Then the tedious arrangement of his water bottles like an obsessive old person who must keep his home just so in order to find things.

Most importantly, he regularly exceeds the time limit on his serves as he adjust everything. Can't he find some underwear that fits him? And I think this is one of the things that upsets Federer. But Berdych seemed impervious to Nadal's fidgeting even when the ref warned Nadal to quit holding up his hand when Berdych was serving.

The only thing Berdych did that was at all inflammatory was hold up his finger to his lips AFTER he won the match. Yes, this was a message to the crowd, but it did not affect the match and I thought it was almost perfect as a way of silencing them. After all, he had taken Rafael's best and hit through him when it mattered.

As for Roger, I think he could do the same thing if he were the younger or outsider with nothing to lose, if he played like he did in 2004. He seems to play not to lose against Nadal at crucial times. Berdych even missed a couple of crucial shots in the tie breaker and did not let them bother him. This is what Federer does against everyone but Nadal.

Robin Pratt, Ph.D.
    Oak Ridge, NC USA

Berdych's height has something to do with it

You make some good points about Berdych's mental fortitude against Nadal which I suppose is surpising because I believe he's known as an inconsistent performer on tour.

I saw Berdych beat Nadal this summer and I thought that it had to do perhaps with Berdych's height which is listed at 6 feet 5 inches.

All those heavily looped, but often short forehands, that drive most people crazy are right in the taller Berdych's strike zone. And, as we know, Nadal is vulnerable to the hard hitting flat player eg Blake.

Comment

Wish I'd seen the match and all the excitement...

Comment

Hi John,

Check out Youtube.com and do a search for Nadal Berdych and you'll find some clips. Kind of funny in that the clips I glanced through show Nadal winning most of the points! Guess a Nadal fan posted them. You'd think he won the match easily going from them.

Some clips are higher quality than others, so don't give up if one of the first ones you come across is poor.

You can even see Nadal get a warning for stalling on Berdych's serve along with the hushing episode and Nadal's absurd 'bad person/man' comment.

Man, that Mardid crowd was terrible, as was the line calling. Player winning percentage on challenges went up during this tournament. No telling how many Federer could have won if he'd bothered to risk it.

Weird tounament. Lot of upsets, and by the end of the week Federer had set a record number of ranking points and Nadal is now looking at that huge gap of 3600 points between him and Federer.

Fed served pretty well, I thought, and seemed to be coming to the net more than normal. That 76 76 match with Soderling wasn't as close as the score indicated. Fed went 0 of 8 on break points while Soderling went 0 for 2. Fed won 32 percent of the return points while Soderling only picked up 18. When's the last time Fed went 0 for 8 on break points?

But to get back to the point of the thread, no doubt Berdych has a great attitude when playing Nadal. Must be something like Nadal feels when playing Fed, or like Federer feels when playing Berdych. I was just watching their match from Hamburg 05 and on the first point of the game, Federer hits a dropshot on Berdych's serve. Ha. Talk about sending a message. Berdych does manage to get to the ball, but Fed knocks it back for a winner. Heck Fed wins that opening service game at love. Don't see that too often, breaking the first game of the match at love.

Tennis, such a game of match-ups.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2766 users online. 7 members and 2759 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X