Your Strokes: Luke: One Handed Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Strokes: Luke: One Handed Backhand

Let's get your thoughts on John Craig's latest article, "Your Strokes: Luke: One Handed Backhand"

The first link comes up with a big malware warning. This guy, Charlesdug, appears to be a nut. Or worse. Maybe he's Nabrug in disguise. Or Quilty in LOLITA. Or Q in Star-Trek.
    Last edited by bottle; 01-07-2018, 10:11 AM.

Comment

What blog? What's he talking about?

Comment

Spam. Deleted

Comment

Luke has some flaws. We can all see those.

Coach John Craig does a great job identifying them and giving his cures. We can see all see those.

But the greatest thing about this video is a kid at this age really hitting and owning his one-hander. Pretty special stuff. It is a shot that will only get better.

The key for me in Luke's stroke is that unit turn. He does a great job with it and it will set him up for only positive things to come when he makes the other adjustments John talks about.

In fairness, I'd love to see a ball being fed from the other side of the court. Then we can really see how his body reacts. I think a key component that is missing that may explain Luke's side step to the ball is that he is not leveling up behind it with his left shoulder (non-dominant side) to point and line-up with ball. This could naturally help him step or lean towards target. But when ball is coming from the side it can make things awkward as it is across his body to start with.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Coach John Craig does a great job identifying them and giving his cures. We can see all see those.

But the greatest thing about this video is a kid at this age really hitting and owning his one-hander. Pretty special stuff. It is a shot that will only get better.

The key for me in Luke's stroke is that unit turn. He does a great job with it and it will set him up for only positive things to come when he makes the other adjustments John talks about.

In fairness, I'd love to see a ball being fed from the other side of the court. Then we can really see how his body reacts. I think a key component that is missing that may explain Luke's side step to the ball is that he is not leveling up behind it with his left shoulder (non-dominant side) to point and line-up with ball. This could naturally help him step or lean towards target. But when ball is coming from the side it can make things awkward as it is across his body to start with.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Thanks Craig for your analysis and Kyle for your feedback. We really appreciate it! Luke's right leg is currently in a cast, but once he is out and ready to play we will put your suggestions to work. Thanks again,

Scott

Comment

The stroke is longer than Feds. But shouldn’t it be? He is much smaller than Fed and so he needs a longer swing to generate enough pace.
              It reminds me of the ATP forehand in women. My guess is that a shorter stroke might be a better building block in the long run. However, the temptation is to compare him to an adult. Shouldn’t we be comparing him to Fed at the same age?

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Thanks Kyle for your input...I totally agree!

Comment

Originally posted by sacolson1 View Post

Thanks Craig for your analysis and Kyle for your feedback. We really appreciate it! Luke's right leg is currently in a cast, but once he is out and ready to play we will put your suggestions to work. Thanks again,

Scott
                  You are welcome, Scott! Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or I can assist in any way!

Comment

I think it would be more appropriate to compare Luke's backhand to Shapavolov's one hander at age 8. Then you could see the physical conditions that a player of that size and age have to overcome to make a shot that works well. Comparing him to an adult Federer is not fair to the little guy. Both have completely different physical worlds to manage themselves in.

Luke has to step across to generate enough racket head speed by swing around his body. Otherwise the ball would never compress enough to go where he wanted it to go, and under control. Same with Shapavalov.

Go to the backhands.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7742 users online. 7 members and 7735 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X