Segura’s College Career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Segura’s College Career

Let's discuss Caroline Seebohm's latest in her series on Pancho Segura, "Segura’s College Career"

Courage...Capital "C". Francisco Segura...

"Pancho's future suddenly looked less promising. Perhaps Danzig's optimism had been misplaced. There was talk about him going home, something he refused even to consider. He made only one brief trip back to Guayaquil in 1945, where he was welcomed like a god."

In a five set match and in life you have to go with the ebb and flow. A wonderful story. Gardinar Mulloy playing his hand in the fate of Francisco Segura.
    A physically small man with a huge heart. That's my takeaway so far. Great, great story...please continue.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

"That was a fantastic win for me," Pancho recalled. "I was like Jimmy Connors or Lleyton Hewitt, 100 percent on every shot, with great concentration. I overcame my handicaps in size and weight.

"In my mind I thought I could win. I showed I had the potential, and that my coach was right to put his trust in me. Mulloy was with me all the way. He told me I would put the school on the tennis map and I did."

Tremendous attitude and character. Tennis was blessed to have a man of this mold. What a journey. Cannot wait to learn more. Kudos to Ms. Seebohm's research and writing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Interesting what a big role Gardnar Mulloy played in the young Segura's career. To work with a young man from a totally foriegn culture with such a unique style and to teach him to make it work on the big stage. Even at the expense of his own player pride. Segura was kicking the Mulloy butt early on and it doesn't sound like he let up on him. Wonderful story so far.
        don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
          Courage...Capital "C". Francisco Segura...

"Pancho's future suddenly looked less promising. Perhaps Danzig's optimism had been misplaced. There was talk about him going home, something he refused even to consider. He made only one brief trip back to Guayaquil in 1945, where he was welcomed like a god."

In a five set match and in life you have to go with the ebb and flow. A wonderful story. Gardinar Mulloy playing his hand in the fate of Francisco Segura.
          A physically small man with a huge heart. That's my takeaway so far. Great, great story...please continue.
          Danzig of the New York Times was optimistic about our eight-oared crew at Brown too. As publicity chairman, I was pretty happy about that, and it helped all of The Cinderella Crew (for that was our name in giant media) to produce later wins.
          Last edited by bottle; 02-03-2018, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Gentlemen,
            We shall continue!

Comment

Yep, that Danzig was a good fella.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                Interesting what a big role Gardnar Mulloy played in the young Segura's career. To work with a young man from a totally foriegn culture with such a unique style and to teach him to make it work on the big stage. Even at the expense of his own player pride. Segura was kicking the Mulloy butt early on and it doesn't sound like he let up on him. Wonderful story so far.
                I think it might be interesting to know a bit more about Gardnar Mulloy's coaching career at Miami. This was an interesting character too. It is a great story how the lives of these two guys became entwined. Wouldn't it be nice to go back in a time machine and watch how the two worked together. There must have been a rather serious relationship there. Great strory...very impressed with Caroline Seebohm's choice of a subject and research. I wonder if she came to know Segura and Mulloy personally. Fascinating stuff. It's important for the true student of the game of tennis to be exposed to this kind of information and I am dying to hear more details.

Good job johnyandell! Great bang for the buck. Hmmm...
                don_budge

Comment

Thanks DB. I am sure you read the series on Gardner. More on the next stage with Segura next month.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8013 users online. 5 members and 8008 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X